elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release

Go down 
+7
errant
ukkonen
arkaz
MagicalTrevor
Cestrian Saint
Niftium
Lozzmeister
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Lozzmeister
fallen angel
fallen angel

Male Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-06-27

The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release Empty
PostSubject: The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release   The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release Icon_minitimeFri 17 Jul 2015, 12:41

elbow release a new EP on 24th July. The ‘Lost Worker Bee’ EP has 4 brand new songs all based upon their home town of Manchester. The track titles are ‘Lost Worker Bee’, 'And It Snowed’, ‘Roll Call’ & ‘Usually Bright’.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRQAze5R0d4

Live in Belgium last month
Back to top Go down
Niftium
little beast
little beast

Male Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2010-12-24

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release   The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release Icon_minitimeSat 18 Jul 2015, 02:44

Listed for purchase anywhere yet? Quick search of Amazon (US and UK) returns nothing, nor is there anything on their own site. Digital only, I sadly assume.
Back to top Go down
Cestrian Saint
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2013-11-15

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release   The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2015, 19:11

I hope this isn't digital only. Not everybody wants a shit sounding mp3 in their collection.
Back to top Go down
Cestrian Saint
newborn
newborn

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release   The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jul 2015, 07:20

Ok, so it's the 24th. Nothing on the band's website as yet. Amazon & I-tunes have a mp3 available to buy.

What a massive disappointment.
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release   The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jul 2015, 16:09

Should be available now, I got an email this morning.

Sadly not on Canada Spotify though.
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Cestrian Saint
newborn
newborn

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release   The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jul 2015, 16:13

My disappointment relates more to the fact there's no physical release. For a band that say they love the EP format you'd have thought they'd have given the fans a piece of vinyl or a CD. Amazon and i-Tunes are only offering mp3 downloads. For those who despise mp3, I did manage to find a FLAC version on Qobuz for €3.24.
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release   The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jul 2015, 16:17

I agree I'd prefer a physical disc. Not to hijack the thread though, but I think mp3/AAc has come a long way over the years, especially since bitrates were increased.

A 320 kbit/s mp3 is excellent quality, blind tests have shown it indiscernible.

I just like to hold the damn thing! Plus the artwork.
Back to top Go down
arkaz
fallen angel
fallen angel
arkaz

Female Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2014-10-24

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release   The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jul 2015, 18:36

I agree, wish there was a physical release, it would be great on vinyl. I do love it though. Usually Bright is beautiful.
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

Male Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release   The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jul 2015, 22:12

It'll be released next Friday for the US. Might be the same for all of N. America so you can listen to it through Spotify then. Hopefully they'll release some kind of physical version of this in the near future, it seems like something that was finished on a recent scale and there might not have been enough time to release the physical product at the same time.
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release   The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release Icon_minitimeMon 27 Jul 2015, 20:45

Anyone car to comment on the music? I thought it a great EP, 'And It Snowed' being my pick of the 4 - there's a wonderfully low bass droll about 3/4th the way through it (any idea if it's a bass guitar or drum noise?). 'Usually bright' is a wonderfully lyrically generated song too...

A vast vast improvement on that god awful commercial waffle they barfed up for that Simon Pegg film...
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release   The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release Icon_minitimeFri 31 Jul 2015, 17:59

missed the release as on holiday, came as a surprise to me!

I agree its a great EP. Nice to hear a bit of upbeat tempo in Roll Call - Think there are some Garvey gems in the lyrics too - have to listen again to pick them up

all the other tracks hit the spot for me

And it Snowed - love this one already too
Back to top Go down
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

Male Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release   The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release Icon_minitimeSat 01 Aug 2015, 01:45

The EP went on sale in the US today. I bought it from Amazon, and I've listened to it about five times now.

It's good stuff. After The Take-Off and Landing, this is mellower. It goes down well. Smile

"And It Snowed" sounds like vintage Keane, but better. And "Usually Bright" reminds me a lot of TSSK-era b-side "Our Little Boat."
Back to top Go down
http://www.allyngibson.net/
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release   The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release Icon_minitimeSat 01 Aug 2015, 16:22

This is the best stuff I have heard in ages...desperate for a physical copy!
Back to top Go down
elbowismymuse
little beast
little beast
elbowismymuse

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2011-02-19

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release   The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release Icon_minitimeSun 02 Aug 2015, 01:48

Great new EP. The only song I am blasé about is "And It Snowed", which others seem to really rate. It is a bit like early Keane, also a little tinge of Coldplay but Elbow don't need to lean on these bands for inspiration; I don't hate either band but they are the height of mediocrity for me and Elbow have always been musically superior IMO.

The other three tracks are all excellent in their own ways. Lost Worker Bee plays around with rhythm, volume and tempo as so many of the best Elbow tracks do; Roll Call is a brilliant, infectious, slightly rockier affair for Elbow, and I love the looping vocals and bassline.

Usually Bright is a sad, sweet little number; indeed TSSK-era sounding; it is a bit We're Away-ish, and I can hear "Our Little Boat" too. Love the very subtle but poignant piano whispering in the background. Lovely song.

And It Snowed is not a bad song at all; just feels a bit "generic" to me, like a number of different alt-rock bands could have penned it.

All in all, great. I am a stickler for the slow, melancholic stuff but Jupp is such a creative drummer and I love the way Elbow play around with percussive rhythm. Both Lost Worker Bee and Roll Call are delightfully fresh in that department.

It all started with Scattered Black and Whites of course. Subtle melody but the piano and brilliant, original drumming is what makes that song.
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release   The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release Icon_minitimeThu 06 Aug 2015, 20:37

elbowismymuse wrote:
Roll  Call is a brilliant, infectious, slightly rockier affair for Elbow, and I love the looping vocals and bassline.

agreed... the rockier elbow is always my first love with this band... i wish they'd do it more often! the 4 tracks on this EP are all topper imho!
Back to top Go down
rhill
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-10-05

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release   The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release Icon_minitimeFri 21 Aug 2015, 00:06

The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release Y9TP8Kw
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release   The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release Icon_minitimeSat 22 Aug 2015, 08:01

rhill wrote:
The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release Y9TP8Kw

Very Happy Very Happy good spot! #eagleeyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release   The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Lost Worker Bee - new EP release
Page 1 of 1