elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rush - a musical confession

Go down 
+6
yesman
Jonny
Glendarian
TamedLamia
Hotblack
Mr_K
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Rush - a musical confession Empty
PostSubject: Rush - a musical confession   Rush - a musical confession Icon_minitimeThu 08 Jan 2009, 09:42

Rush

So much to dislike about them, where to start...

From the early lumpen sub Led-Zep heavy metal, via dodgy concept albums, self important prog-metal to dubious proggy-synth-pop-rock, they have always been derided by many and rightly so. Geddy Lee's helium-fuelled vocals (no normal human male sings like that) are, to say the least, an aquired taste, and the lyrics generally veer from pretentious to embarrassing! And yet...

...despite years of listening to all sorts of music, much of which is more agile, imaginative, dynamic or beautiful than this trio of Canadians could manage, I am strangely fond of these old dinosaurs. Admittedly the early stuff is generally dire, but from 1977 to 1989 they made some cracking records - Permanent Waves probably being their most successful musically and commercially. Some of the later stuff is OK too.

So whilst I stand by my opening comments, it has to be said that whilst Lifeson is not a great guitarist, he is a good one and has a style as distinctive in his own way as, say, The Edge is for U2. The other two are also very decent musicians, and they have an ear for a melody and a feel for the dramatic.

So yes, whilst it is a bit embarrassing to admit it, I quite like a bit of Rush now and then.

Ah, it feels better to get that off my chest.

Are there any other bands that folks enjoy, but feel a bit sheepish about admitting to liking? Like Hawkwind... ah but that's a whole different level of shame. Still like them though...
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Rush - a musical confession   Rush - a musical confession Icon_minitimeThu 08 Jan 2009, 10:27

Have a look at THIS THREAD HERE where you can find out about some of our guilty pleasures. Smile

As well as Hawkwind and Rush you will also find I'm a fan of Mike Oldfield (but not all of it....just the good bits)
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Rush - a musical confession   Rush - a musical confession Icon_minitimeThu 08 Jan 2009, 10:44

Hey, Rush ain't a Guilty pleasure! I like them a lot and maybe that what Mr. Lifeson has not his bandmates have double! Ever seen another one playing bass and keyboards at the same time and singing? Geddy is one of the greatest bass players! And Neil Peart plays drums like a instrument and not like he's an ape Wink
I saw them live once and it was unbelievable how much power those three ones have on stage!
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Rush - a musical confession   Rush - a musical confession Icon_minitimeFri 09 Jan 2009, 13:36

I used to have Farewell to Kings which at the time I really enjoyed but haven't listened to for ages, so can't say whether or not I feel Embarassed about it these days. But hey, no dissing Hawkwind or Mike Oldfield (at least his first three albums), I don't feel guilty about liking either of those. Wink
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Male Number of posts : 891

PostSubject: Re: Rush - a musical confession   Rush - a musical confession Icon_minitimeSat 10 Jan 2009, 18:30

Rush rock! Though I haven't explored much so I can't give a definitive opinion. I bloody love 2112, even if I can't defend it from it's critics... it is hilariously pretentious. But the music's so damn good! And that's what matters.
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Rush - a musical confession   Rush - a musical confession Icon_minitimeSun 11 Jan 2009, 09:39

Glendarian wrote:
I used to have Farewell to Kings which at the time I really enjoyed but haven't listened to for ages

I heartily advise you to revisit that album. It's brilliant. I still listen to it regularly. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Rush - a musical confession   Rush - a musical confession Icon_minitimeSun 11 Jan 2009, 09:48

I'll have to dust off the old turntable... Wink
Back to top Go down
yesman
friend of ours
friend of ours
yesman

Male Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Rush - a musical confession   Rush - a musical confession Icon_minitimeWed 25 Mar 2009, 19:27

One of my all time favourite bands.

Although on first hearing Geddy Lee's vocals...I thought he sounded like a strangle parrot !! Grew to like it though and he did mellow over time !!

I have almost all their albums ( and there are a lot of them), hard to pick the best but Moving Pictures has to be one of the best.

Fortunate to see them in Birmingham in 2007. Brilliant
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857

PostSubject: Re: Rush - a musical confession   Rush - a musical confession Icon_minitimeWed 25 Mar 2009, 20:13

yesman wrote:
Although on first hearing Geddy Lee's vocals...I thought he sounded like a strangle parrot !! Grew to like it though and he did mellow over time !!
I joked once, he sounds like Robert Plant and Doro Pesch had a Kid...(yea, absurd according the age... Embarassed )
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
anydaynow
fallen angel
fallen angel

Male Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Rush - a musical confession   Rush - a musical confession Icon_minitimeSat 28 Mar 2009, 15:04

One of my favourite bands I've seen live. So professional!
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Rush - a musical confession   Rush - a musical confession Icon_minitimeSat 28 Mar 2009, 20:21

Agree w/everyone who raves about their live shows. I'm not one who tends to listen to their albums, to be quite honest, but I will always go to their shows because they are a powerhouse group on stage.
Back to top Go down
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Rush - a musical confession   Rush - a musical confession Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 15:46

Rush at Manchester Apollo was the very first gig I ever went to; it was my special treat after my O Levels (yes, I am that old!). The second gig I ever went to was also Rush at Deeside leisure centre, where the crowd had to stand on a frozen ice rink covered with rubber matting. This meant that by the end of the evening, you were a hot and sweaty rock fan from the knees up, but totally frozen from the knees downwards. The third gig I ever went to was Rush, too: this time at the NEC. After this, I came to realise that I had got the Rush thing out of my system and my musical tastes began to diversify. Still got a soft spot for the cheeky Canadian progsters, though. Happy memories Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Rush - a musical confession   Rush - a musical confession Icon_minitimeFri 03 Apr 2009, 20:31

What a brave brave admission, personally speaking I would find it easier to admit to say er arson on a major scale, a fondness for the musical theatre of Andrew Lloyd Webber, a sexual attraction to Ann Widdecombe, being a reader of the Daily Express, having a secret collection of German WW two memrobelia, or greatly admiring Margaret Thatcher, but to admit to...... Jesus I cant even say it, Im shuddering, but at least dont feel to bad about my copy of Brain Salad surgery anymore
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rush - a musical confession   Rush - a musical confession Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rush - a musical confession
Page 1 of 1