elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Elbow in Holland Nov 2008

Go down 
+4
will2fly
evilpixie
Dabamash
Jones
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Elbow in Holland Nov 2008 Empty
PostSubject: Elbow in Holland Nov 2008   Elbow in Holland Nov 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 17 Nov 2008, 19:01

Well folks, just came back from Holland last night where I've been to 4 of the gigs: cheers
Haarlem, Utrecht, Rotterdam and Eindhoven.
I couldn't go to the Groningen one due to family commitments.
The gig in Haarlem was brilliant and I met John (Evil Pixie) and his friend Marianne there. It was really nice to meet them face to face and have a lovely chat with them.
The next day in Utrecht, as I was walking from the trainstation towards my hotel, I walked past the venue and I heard them rehearsing Any Day Now. I didn't really want to get too excited as I thought that maybe they just used it to sound-check or something, but that night: there it was in all it's glory!
Not sure if they played it in Groningen but they played it again in Rotterdam and Eindhoven.
As mentioned in the other thread, the Eindhoven gig was amazing. All the lads were in really good spirits and obviously delighted it was the last gig of the year and to be going home. Guy was in particularly good form: laughing and joking and jumping into to the audience twice to give somebody a hug!
If anyone's interested and I can post the full set lists of the 4 gigs, just let us know...
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Male Number of posts : 2079
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Elbow in Holland Nov 2008   Elbow in Holland Nov 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 17 Nov 2008, 19:06

OMG, u lucky ******* (censored due to possibility of innocent young children (pah, yeah right))
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

PostSubject: Re: Elbow in Holland Nov 2008   Elbow in Holland Nov 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 17 Nov 2008, 22:19

Here's meself (in the middle) and John (Evil Pixie) and Marianne, before the Haarlem gig.

Elbow in Holland Nov 2008 Elbow_22
Back to top Go down
evilpixie
friend of ours
friend of ours
evilpixie

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Elbow in Holland Nov 2008   Elbow in Holland Nov 2008 Icon_minitimeTue 18 Nov 2008, 00:10

Jones wrote:
I met John (Evil Pixie) and his friend Marianne there. It was really nice to meet them face to face and have a lovely chat with them.

It was really nice to meet you too. Sounds like the last gigs of the tour were even better than the ones me and Marion went to. Hope you caught your train ok after the Haarlem gig.
Back to top Go down
will2fly
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Elbow in Holland Nov 2008   Elbow in Holland Nov 2008 Icon_minitimeTue 18 Nov 2008, 16:41

yes, they did play Any Day Now in Groningen too. I was very happy they did. Did you hear a couple of people in Haarlem shouting out for that song? Perhaps that persuaded them to include it later on in the week? I'd only planned to go to the Haarlem gig, but their play was so solid, I wanted to go to another one. I chose Groningen as it was closer to home.
They looked at ease and happy there, like you say probably because they were closer to going home. I'd brought along a 7" of Grounds for Divorce and they were happy to sign it for me. (didn't see them, the tour manager was the go-between)
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

PostSubject: Re: Elbow in Holland Nov 2008   Elbow in Holland Nov 2008 Icon_minitimeTue 18 Nov 2008, 20:23

evilpixie wrote:

It was really nice to meet you too. Sounds like the last gigs of the tour were even better than the ones me and Marion went to. Hope you caught your train ok after the Haarlem gig.

Yes, after initially not being able to find my way out of the venue Embarassed I had to run like mad but made it on the train with 5 mins to spare...pfew! Pity you weren't around for the other gigs, they were indeed fab! bom
Back to top Go down
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Elbow in Holland Nov 2008   Elbow in Holland Nov 2008 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Nov 2008, 12:14

Aw, you guys look great! How cool that you got to meet up.

Btw Jones, could you possibly be any cuter?? I think not!
Back to top Go down
hagger
fallen angel
fallen angel

Male Number of posts : 10

PostSubject: Re: Elbow in Holland Nov 2008   Elbow in Holland Nov 2008 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Nov 2008, 13:06

Yeah, I did love that Eindhoven gig. I was particularly impressed by the 'George Lassoes the Moon' poster, a good laugh. (They used Dubya's face on a stick figure, which was kinda appropiate as they had just recently played Leaders of the Free World!)
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

PostSubject: Re: Elbow in Holland Nov 2008   Elbow in Holland Nov 2008 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Nov 2008, 15:29

Eeek Topaz... Stop that please... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

Male Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Elbow in Holland Nov 2008   Elbow in Holland Nov 2008 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Nov 2008, 18:19

I must be tad of a suck-up, and say that i agree with Topaz Smile I apologise if that makes you feel uncomfortable, with me being quite a bit younger than you Razz
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

PostSubject: Re: Elbow in Holland Nov 2008   Elbow in Holland Nov 2008 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Nov 2008, 18:34

Nice photo Jones. Shame John and Marianne are ruining it Wink

But seriously, looks like you had a good time.
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

PostSubject: Re: Elbow in Holland Nov 2008   Elbow in Holland Nov 2008 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Nov 2008, 19:37

You are all OFF TOPIC !!!!!!

Ahem, yes, that night in Haarlem was particularly brilliant for me as I got a mention before "Weather To Fly" ( my fav song!!! Very Happy ) with Guy thanking me for the bottle of Irish Whisky I'd brought them!
Wahey!!!
Party!
Back to top Go down
hagger
fallen angel
fallen angel

Male Number of posts : 10

PostSubject: Re: Elbow in Holland Nov 2008   Elbow in Holland Nov 2008 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Nov 2008, 20:31

Just been looking around on the tubes, and I found a video of the poster of Dubya, also that mention of the taxi. Was a great moment, Guy is such a nice guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQAEMy1a8po
Back to top Go down
evilpixie
friend of ours
friend of ours
evilpixie

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Elbow in Holland Nov 2008   Elbow in Holland Nov 2008 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Nov 2008, 00:14

Dabamash wrote:
Nice photo Jones. Shame John and Marianne are ruining it
How very dare you!!! It's only me ruining it tongue Even Immigration had a word with me about my appearance because I don't look like my passport photo.

We were very nearly in the same position as those guys that had to get a taxi. Thankfully the train from Osnabruck to Amsterdam was running as late as the train from Hamburg. It would have been a 3 hour wait for the next one and we only just made it to the Haarlem gig as it was!

Well done Jones for getting a special mention before your favourite song. I think Guy had been checking out your pressie before the show if Jesca's comments are anything to go by Wink
Back to top Go down
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518

PostSubject: Re: Elbow in Holland Nov 2008   Elbow in Holland Nov 2008 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Nov 2008, 01:57

Aw, I'm sorry, Jones. I didn't mean to embarrass you. Neutral

Very cool that you got a mention from Guy!
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

PostSubject: Re: Elbow in Holland Nov 2008   Elbow in Holland Nov 2008 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Nov 2008, 15:53

evilpixie wrote:
Dabamash wrote:
How very dare you!!! It's only me ruining it tongue Even Immigration had a word with me about my appearance because I don't look like my passport photo.

Very Happy Sorry EP, I was just sucking up to Jones as usual, nothing personal.
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

PostSubject: Re: Elbow in Holland Nov 2008   Elbow in Holland Nov 2008 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Nov 2008, 19:59

evilpixie wrote:
Dabamash wrote:

Mmm, I agree that was totally uncalled for! and don't mind those guys from immigration, they must have been bored or something.
As for getting to the gig on time, my situation was the complete opposite: I had called the venue to ask them what time the doors opened and they told me 7pm. I turned up at 6.30 and the place was in darkness. Turns out they don't open until 8!!!
There were absolutely no pubs/restaurants/cafes for miles around so I looked like a complete idiot skulking around the venue for so long. A very cold idiot indeed! No
Still, it was worth it! I love you
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345

PostSubject: Re: Elbow in Holland Nov 2008   Elbow in Holland Nov 2008 Icon_minitimeFri 21 Nov 2008, 18:43

Jones wrote:
...........I got a mention before "Weather To Fly" ( my fav song!!! Very Happy ) with Guy thanking me for the bottle of Irish Whisky

Gosh, Cute and supplying Whisky.... Like a Star @ heaven Laughing

Really glad you all had a great concert, and what a bonus having a mention before Weather to Fly !
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

PostSubject: Re: Elbow in Holland Nov 2008   Elbow in Holland Nov 2008 Icon_minitimeFri 21 Nov 2008, 19:48

I aim to please!

and OMG! what a return I got for it! cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Elbow in Holland Nov 2008   Elbow in Holland Nov 2008 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Elbow in Holland Nov 2008
Page 1 of 1