elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Guy & Massive Attack

Go down 
+9
Cestriansteve
ChrissieInFL
ukkonen
LongLegs
bluejayway
Glendarian
TamedLamia
Misspelt Yoof
SmilinSkullRing
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SmilinSkullRing
friend of ours
friend of ours
SmilinSkullRing

Female Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2008-10-26

Guy & Massive Attack Empty
PostSubject: Guy & Massive Attack   Guy & Massive Attack Icon_minitimeSun 26 Oct 2008, 23:00

Forgive me if there is already a thread about this. I feel as if I'm out of the loop, but I know I've heard Guy say he is working with Massive Attack. Can anyone give me any info? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.smilinskullring.blogspot.com
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Guy & Massive Attack   Guy & Massive Attack Icon_minitimeMon 27 Oct 2008, 09:34

He provides vocals for a song on their new album. That's as much as I know.
Back to top Go down
SmilinSkullRing
friend of ours
friend of ours
SmilinSkullRing

Female Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2008-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Guy & Massive Attack   Guy & Massive Attack Icon_minitimeMon 27 Oct 2008, 18:33

Great. Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
http://www.smilinskullring.blogspot.com
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

PostSubject: Re: Guy & Massive Attack   Guy & Massive Attack Icon_minitimeFri 22 May 2009, 11:00

More on this from the Ivor's...

6Music wrote:
Massive Attack have teamed up with Elbow singer Guy Garvey.

Robert Del Naja told 6 Music they've been laying down songs together for the last 18 months.

"We've done about three tracks together," he told 6 Music. "Guy's been co-writing with us and he’s done a couple of vocals."

Grant Daddy G Marshall added: "We thought it was a good idea because Guy’s well, just a great guy. Excuse the pun."

Garvey joins a host of stars who have worked with the trip hop duo on their previous albums including Sinead O'Connor, Horace Andy, Tricky, Tracey Thorn, Shara Nelson, Elizabeth Fraser and Damon Albarn.

"When people come into the space we're in or vice versa you have this inside information that you don't really divulge that this is probably going to be it, and it's going to be short and sweet, and hopefully really exciting and something beautiful will come off it," Del Naja said of the collaboration process.

Massive Attack are still working on their first studio album in six years but are hoping to finish it in time for their forthcoming UK comeback tour in September.
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Guy & Massive Attack   Guy & Massive Attack Icon_minitimeFri 22 May 2009, 18:02

I am really curious about that project. I always thought that Guy's voice would fit well in Massive Attack's melancholic triphopsound and I always liked the triphop influenced Elbowtracks like "Any Day Now" and "Vum Garda"
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Guy & Massive Attack   Guy & Massive Attack Icon_minitimeSun 24 May 2009, 07:09

I'm so looking forward to this. I love you
I love Massive Attack anyway and think their's and Elbow's sound will complement each other wonderfully. And hopefully something to keep us going till the next Elbow Album...
Back to top Go down
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 471
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Guy & Massive Attack   Guy & Massive Attack Icon_minitimeSun 24 May 2009, 21:54

Buzzing about the album. I can't wait for Guy's songs and collaborations with Tricky and Damon Albarn.
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: Guy & Massive Attack   Guy & Massive Attack Icon_minitimeMon 25 May 2009, 06:52

Damon Albarn as well...? Yay! I've recently been listening to "Monkey" - an amazing album, I hope I can get to see the show some time..
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

PostSubject: Re: Guy & Massive Attack   Guy & Massive Attack Icon_minitimeThu 27 Aug 2009, 07:41

Guy features on the track 'Bulletproof Love' from the 'Splitting the Atom EP' which is released on October 5th.
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Guy & Massive Attack   Guy & Massive Attack Icon_minitimeFri 28 Aug 2009, 08:33

Some info here. Also featuring TV on the Radio's, Tunde Adebimpe, they are an awesome band.
http://www.nme.com/news/massive-attack/46928
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

Male Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Guy & Massive Attack   Guy & Massive Attack Icon_minitimeTue 08 Sep 2009, 09:05

Massive has their upcoming EP available for streaming: http://www.theinsoundfromwayout.com/2009/09/massive-attack-splitting-atom/

I'll be recording the song and posting it shortly.
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: Guy & Massive Attack   Guy & Massive Attack Icon_minitimeTue 08 Sep 2009, 09:13

Wow! That - is - amazing!
Thanks for posting the link Ukkonen. Smile
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

PostSubject: Re: Guy & Massive Attack   Guy & Massive Attack Icon_minitimeTue 08 Sep 2009, 09:21

As promised: http://www.mediafire.com/?vnwdgmmzy2a

It's only a shoddy web rip in terms of quality, but the good thing is that a better quality version will be coming on the 2nd!
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: Guy & Massive Attack   Guy & Massive Attack Icon_minitimeTue 08 Sep 2009, 09:23

Excellent, thanks very much. I love you
That's one on my shopping list (the rest sounds wonderful too so far), but this will keep me going until then. Smile
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

PostSubject: Re: Guy & Massive Attack   Guy & Massive Attack Icon_minitimeTue 08 Sep 2009, 09:25

Glendarian wrote:
Excellent, thanks very much. I love you
That's one on my shopping list (the rest sounds wonderful too so far), but this will keep me going until then. Smile

I feel like I'm going to be unbelievably impatient to hear the original version and February seems too far away for me.
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: Guy & Massive Attack   Guy & Massive Attack Icon_minitimeTue 08 Sep 2009, 10:24

Indeed it's a long wait till the full album. The consolation is that 2010 looks like a promising year for new releases in general. Smile

This track with Guy has a real atmosphere of an early Elbow B-side don't you think? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Guy & Massive Attack   Guy & Massive Attack Icon_minitimeTue 08 Sep 2009, 12:20

Listening to the track right now...thanks very much, ukkonen! cheers
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

PostSubject: Re: Guy & Massive Attack   Guy & Massive Attack Icon_minitimeTue 08 Sep 2009, 20:46

It definitely has the dark quality of an early Elbow b-side, I definitely agree with you. The track sounds very similar to the work he did with Andy Votel, 808 State, and his brief side-project, Western Arms. Definitely something I'm anticipating to hear more from. I'm actually curious to know how much he helped the album, because he was working with them for a while.
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: Guy & Massive Attack   Guy & Massive Attack Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 05:46

Yes I thought Lemonsoul, and the Western Arms song in particular, and Love Blown Down sprung to mind too.
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

PostSubject: Re: Guy & Massive Attack   Guy & Massive Attack Icon_minitimeTue 15 Sep 2009, 10:11

Vum Garda Smile
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

PostSubject: Re: Guy & Massive Attack   Guy & Massive Attack Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jan 2010, 10:12

After listening to Bullet Proof love once more and the song on "Heligoland" (which is strictly speaking the same song in a different mix and a different title!) it reminds me more on the VERY minimalistic stuff of early Elbow (None One, Wurzel) and I must admid I am disappointed, especially when I think, how beautiful Elbow covered Massive Attack's "Teardrop" or how great "The Viy" with Andy Votel was... Neutral
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

PostSubject: Re: Guy & Massive Attack   Guy & Massive Attack Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan 2010, 01:53

i think this track will grow on me, despite the fact that it reminds me of songs like wurzel and vum garda. lyrically, it's quite good. i think they should release a more stripped down version of the track if they're ever considering b-sides.
Back to top Go down
Cestriansteve
friend of ours
friend of ours
Cestriansteve

Male Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2009-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Guy & Massive Attack   Guy & Massive Attack Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan 2010, 18:06

Heligoland is yet another disappointing album. Not particularly struck by any of the music on the record. It sounds like Massive Attack treading water, rather than creating something new and exciting. The Guy track is possibly one of the weakest songs on the album Sad
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: Guy & Massive Attack   Guy & Massive Attack Icon_minitimeMon 08 Feb 2010, 15:43

For anyone who hasn't listened yet, Heligoland is on Spotify (if you can get Spotify that is)

The track with Guy is track 6 - now called Flat of the Blade, not Bulletproof Love. Not sure what to think but I'm listening for the first time right now. Here it is:
http://open.spotify.com/track/6zk1khryPZPj0fwcw4PoRO
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: Guy & Massive Attack   Guy & Massive Attack Icon_minitimeTue 09 Feb 2010, 11:15

hmmmm, really not sure about the album version at all - I actually think the 'Bulletproof Love' version from last year's EP would've been a better choice for the album.

It's probably supposed to sound as disjointed as that, but there doesn't seem to be any connection between Guy's voice and the music. Mind you most of the Massive Attack album seems to be uneasy listening, so perhaps I should give it a chance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guy & Massive Attack   Guy & Massive Attack Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Guy & Massive Attack
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next