elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

worst elbow song!!

Go down 
+36
ahordeofrand
Air Sea Rescue
The Final Track
Stockhaus
Hunta
TamedLamia
ticky
dislocated northerner
Garvey's Beard
Grant
evilpixie
Leo
Skeletor
chan
Luckymanc
Mirrorballed
wurzel
lauren
stefinitely
russycarps
ChrissieInFL
MrsMagicalTrevor
josephblack
fadeupyoursmile
JulieinTX
ChrissyBoy
leespoons
Dabamash
Jonny
Topaz
Hotblack
MagicalTrevor
Glendarian
Ted
Misspelt Yoof
drewbie
40 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

worst elbow song!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: worst elbow song!!   worst elbow song!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 12 Aug 2008, 09:07

Opinions are like assholes, and we welcome them all with open arms...

Er, that sounds wrong...wait a minute...um... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: worst elbow song!!   worst elbow song!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 12 Aug 2008, 09:28

yes it does MT Shocked TUT TUT
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: worst elbow song!!   worst elbow song!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 12 Aug 2008, 10:20

I think an elbow album wouldn't be an elbow album unless it had a couple of grower tracks, after all, i'm sure that's why they've been consistantly my favorite band. I didn't get Weather to Fly until i listened to it a few thousand feet up and clouds wooshing past my window, suddenly it makes sence!
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: worst elbow song!!   worst elbow song!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 12 Aug 2008, 14:20

i loathed My Very Best to start with, but now i adore it!!

doesnt anyone else not like Buttons and Zips????
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Male Number of posts : 891

PostSubject: Re: worst elbow song!!   worst elbow song!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 12 Aug 2008, 20:19

I agree that Buttons and Zips isn't up to the usual standard. It's still pretty cool, though. Smile

I find The Everthere has the same growability as My Very Best, leo, keep it at! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: worst elbow song!!   worst elbow song!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 12 Aug 2008, 20:53

i'll trust you then...
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: worst elbow song!!   worst elbow song!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 13 Aug 2008, 22:28

leo wrote:
ribcage totally kills off an imagined affair or the everthere.

Eh? I don't follow your logic there. Ribcage isn't even on the same album! It's a bit like saying "That curry I had last year totally kills off the Chinese takeaway I had last week".

Oh, and welcome to the board Smile
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: worst elbow song!!   worst elbow song!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 13 Aug 2008, 22:40

Ribcage wins for " All you have is kisses, and all i need is you."
Back to top Go down
evilpixie
friend of ours
friend of ours
evilpixie

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: worst elbow song!!   worst elbow song!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 13 Aug 2008, 23:05

Although I like The Fix and usually sing along to it pretending to be Richard Hawley, I think it's not a 'proper' Elbow song. affraid
For me an Elbow song should be based on some real life incident or personal thoughts/feelings/emotions rather than about a couple of made up (correct me if I'm wrong) chancers.
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

PostSubject: Re: worst elbow song!!   worst elbow song!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Aug 2008, 00:04

I think part of the definition of a great band is often that you can't be certain what you're gonna get. In this way, The Fix is an example of what makes Elbow great.
Back to top Go down
evilpixie
friend of ours
friend of ours
evilpixie

PostSubject: Re: worst elbow song!!   worst elbow song!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Aug 2008, 00:27

Agree that a great band shouldn't work to a formula but just feel that The Fix doesn't quite sit comfortably with all their other work.
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

PostSubject: Re: worst elbow song!!   worst elbow song!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Aug 2008, 02:08

If that's the case, I'd wager it's more to do with Hawley's presence.
Back to top Go down
evilpixie
friend of ours
friend of ours
evilpixie

PostSubject: Re: worst elbow song!!   worst elbow song!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Aug 2008, 08:57

Put your money away! I don't think it's anything to do with Richard Hawley or the fact that it's a duet, but more to do with the light-hearted nature of the song. I actually like the song so maybe I just need to open my mind.
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: worst elbow song!!   worst elbow song!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Aug 2008, 09:36

look. its a cool song - like an audience with...pope - its just experimenting with new stuff. i love it.

the reason why ppl dont like elbow is cus ppl say theyre boring,,,,,, Arrow

hose 2 are hardly that (i dont find any elbow song boring, but those 2 are more obviously not boring)
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: worst elbow song!!   worst elbow song!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Aug 2008, 09:41

lee spoons wrote:
leo wrote:

Eh? I don't follow your logic there. Ribcage isn't even on the same album! It's a bit like saying "That curry I had last year totally kills off the Chinese takeaway I had last week".

thanks...

well. to keep with your analogy... if you asked someone what their favourite food was... if they said risotto, you wouldnt say "yeh but mines chips, and theyre from different cuisines so thats not allowed". you see. all im saying is ribcage is a far better song than those two. regardless of the album. just in general.
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

PostSubject: Re: worst elbow song!!   worst elbow song!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Aug 2008, 21:32

leo wrote:
lee spoons wrote:
leo wrote:

thanks...

well. to keep with your analogy... if you asked someone what their favourite food was... if they said risotto, you wouldnt say "yeh but mines chips, and theyre from different cuisines so thats not allowed". you see. all im saying is ribcage is a far better song than those two. regardless of the album. just in general.

Fair enough, I tend to listen to Elbow albums all the way through anyway... so I wouldn't necessarily be thinking "this isn't as good as Ribcage" when listening to tracks off Leaders.

It just seemed an odd reason to give for not liking those two songs - because another song is better. I don't like The Kooks, but I wouldn't give the reason for not liking them as "Elbow are better" - I'd be more likely to say "because the lead singer of The Kooks sings like a badger who's caught his nuts in a bike" (to paraphrase Russell Howard on Mock The Week a moment ago).

I'm not so much interested in which Elbow songs people think are better or worse, as WHY people like or dislike them... although anyone who isn't slightly moved by the lyrics to The Everthere has no pulse. That's not my opinion, it's FACT.
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

PostSubject: Re: worst elbow song!!   worst elbow song!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Aug 2008, 21:36

evilpixie wrote:
Agree that a great band shouldn't work to a formula but just feel that The Fix doesn't quite sit comfortably with all their other work.

I'd probably say the same about Bitten, or Snooks, or Picky Bugger... they're not really representative Elbow songs. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy them though...
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: worst elbow song!!   worst elbow song!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Aug 2008, 21:59

picky bugger is a stuperb song.
Back to top Go down
evilpixie
friend of ours
friend of ours
evilpixie

PostSubject: Re: worst elbow song!!   worst elbow song!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Aug 2008, 22:42

I would say Bitten and Snooks were fairly representative of the music Elbow were making at that time and aren't out of place on their respective albums. Picky Bugger is unmistakably an Elbow song even if it doesn't share the lush arrangements of other songs on LOTFW. To me The Fix seems more Richard Hawley ft Elbow rather than the other way round.
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: worst elbow song!!   worst elbow song!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 15 Aug 2008, 11:45

i agree. but then again there was always a distinct difference between lennon and mccartney
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

Male Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: worst elbow song!!   worst elbow song!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 31 Aug 2008, 15:50

ChrissyBoy wrote:

The Fix, although different and good stand alone doesn't sit with the rest of the album for me.

This might be because i adore Richard Hawley, but i just can't have a bad word against the fix:P it's one of my favourite songs at the moment, and i think it was just an excuse for them to do a duet, which shows how close they've become, even though they met each other on a plane and the base for their friendship was that Richard bought Travel Battleships for the journey:P i just love the whole album tbh:P Friend of Ours always makes me cry though:P
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

PostSubject: Re: worst elbow song!!   worst elbow song!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Sep 2008, 17:22

Grant wrote:

the base for their friendship was that Richard bought Travel Battleships for the journey:P

Haha, that's new to me. Class!
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

PostSubject: Re: worst elbow song!!   worst elbow song!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Sep 2008, 17:25

Yeah, it's the interview on the cube thing on their website:P They're serial clinkers when together, those two:P I'll send you the link to it if you wish? http://www.theseldomseenkid.com/
Screw it, you're gettin' it anyway:P enjoy!Smile
Back to top Go down
Garvey's Beard
fallen angel
fallen angel
Garvey's Beard

Male Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-06-29

PostSubject: Re: worst elbow song!!   worst elbow song!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 09 Sep 2008, 20:47

This has to be one of the worst elbow songs ever!

aaarrgggghhhh!!!

Enjoy! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

PostSubject: Re: worst elbow song!!   worst elbow song!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 10 Sep 2008, 14:53

I got 5 seconds into it, had to turn it off, how the fuck did you find that? Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: worst elbow song!!   worst elbow song!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

worst elbow song!!
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next