elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Elbow Live at the Olympics?

Go down 
+15
Lynne
lambfan
Eag
heshofcheese
mrswoman
TinTin
ticky
hilaryg
ElbowFreak
JessieAddick
NeonChoir
Kim
Molly
HattyMarris
errant
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Elbow Live at the Olympics? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elbow Live at the Olympics?   Elbow Live at the Olympics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 12 Aug 2012, 22:59

I would have loved to have seen more of them, but owing to the fact the athletes were entering the arena, I suppose they took centre stage.
Back to top Go down
TinTin
friend of ours
friend of ours
TinTin

Female Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2012-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Live at the Olympics?   Elbow Live at the Olympics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 12 Aug 2012, 23:50

No l mean the other acts all got the spotlight. They should just have played backing music til everyone was inside . Then brought the live acts on. Hope they had a great night being there. Guy looked HOT !
Back to top Go down
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Live at the Olympics?   Elbow Live at the Olympics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 13 Aug 2012, 00:07

Bit crap really what with my other half shouting at the tv to the commentator to shut up, I could barely hear them and no pics to boot, poor show really. Soooo just as well we bought tickets to see them in Birmingham. Whoop whoop!!
Back to top Go down
hilaryg
friend of ours
friend of ours
hilaryg

Female Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Live at the Olympics?   Elbow Live at the Olympics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 13 Aug 2012, 01:41

Think yourselves lucky. NBC talked all over the two songs and didn't even show or namecheck them. Caught a glimpse of Guy on the big screen in the background and that was it.

Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Live at the Olympics?   Elbow Live at the Olympics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 13 Aug 2012, 07:08

ticky wrote:
I would have loved to have seen more of them, but owing to the fact the athletes were entering the arena, I suppose they took centre stage.

Yeah - agree with Ticky...a few more shots of the band would have been good.

Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Live at the Olympics?   Elbow Live at the Olympics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 13 Aug 2012, 13:36

I watched it on the BBC Olympics site instead of the iPlayer...best thing was...no commentary!

I agree that they seemed a bit incidental though, shame really, but terrific to see them on this international stage...

Were they playing live? it was hard to tell, but Jupp's kit was mic'ed, which tends not to happen for show. Also Jupp counted in for the beginning of ODLT
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
HattyMarris
friend of ours
friend of ours
HattyMarris

Male Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Live at the Olympics?   Elbow Live at the Olympics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 13 Aug 2012, 13:47

One Day Like This has rocketed up the itunes charts since their performance last night

http://www.apple.com/euro/itunes/charts/top10songs.html
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Live at the Olympics?   Elbow Live at the Olympics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 13 Aug 2012, 13:48

As far as I have heared anything, it sounded live to me.

unfortunatelly it's only available for the UK viewers on the BBC homepage Sad once again, I should get used to it. Neutral
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Live at the Olympics?   Elbow Live at the Olympics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 13 Aug 2012, 13:52

ElbowFreak, if you want to continually view UK content, I highly recommend unblock.us

Not free, but pretty cheap, and uses DNS instead of VPN, so no mucking about. Also works with Spotify.
Back to top Go down
Gaily67
fallen angel
fallen angel

Female Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2011-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Live at the Olympics?   Elbow Live at the Olympics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 13 Aug 2012, 14:51

Loved Elbow at the Closing cermony, Guy looked so chuffed to be there!
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

Female Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Live at the Olympics?   Elbow Live at the Olympics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 15 Aug 2012, 20:03

I stayed away from the forum for a bit until I actually got a chance to watch the ceremony. Still haven't seen the whole thing but skipped to the Elbow and Muse bits. I was chuffed that Muse did play too in the end. Very Happy

I've gotta say, the honour of playing while the athletes came into the stadium probably trumps the commentators and the fact that they got very little camera time. A shame for us fans, but they probably made more of an impression on the international viewers as I would imagine the athletes would be the key part of it for them.

On the Live vs. Pre-recorded thing, the vocals for both Elbow and Muse were definitely live but I'm not so sure that the music wasn't pre-recorded after all. When Elbow play, the sound is usually very consistent with their recorded music so it's difficult to tell. Muse, though, tend to be very different with all sorts of extra riffs everywhere, yet when they played Survival it sounded perfectly like the recorded version to me. Somehow I find it hard to believe they'd just toned their usual style down for the Olympics. What do you lot reckon? How did it seem with the other bands that played?
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Live at the Olympics?   Elbow Live at the Olympics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 15 Aug 2012, 21:13

I'm pretty sure Wand Erection were miming Wink

Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Live at the Olympics?   Elbow Live at the Olympics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 15 Aug 2012, 21:23

Ah, I though they were called One Dire Erection. *chortle*
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Live at the Olympics?   Elbow Live at the Olympics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 15 Aug 2012, 22:01

I'm still not sure. This is what tends to happen when Muse are asked to mime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3UW2kqJ9R4
Back to top Go down
HattyMarris
friend of ours
friend of ours
HattyMarris

Male Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Live at the Olympics?   Elbow Live at the Olympics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 19 Aug 2012, 22:01

As a result of their performance at the Closing Ceremony, 'One Day Like This' today charted at No. 4 in the official UK Chart!

TSSK also made it back to No. 6 in the Albums chart, not a bad week at all for the boys
Back to top Go down
negative8ball
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-07-31

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Live at the Olympics?   Elbow Live at the Olympics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Aug 2012, 03:53

Read the "album" was just studio recordings - is this a NEW studio recording? Credit for the songs implies so... "Elbow, London Symphony Orchestra & Urban Voices Collective" - not seen the performance, so that may be an alternate choir (they seem to be on a few tracks)... but it says "studio recordings" (without citation) on the Wikipedia page...

Just curious if anyone knows... gonna buy it when I'm back on my home computer tomorrow (so I don't need to transfer) - but figured I'd ask, just in case [smirk]
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Live at the Olympics?   Elbow Live at the Olympics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Aug 2012, 11:03

Urban Voices Collective are the choir that were on stage throughout the closing ceremony, singing with most of the bands/artists. One of my mates was singing with them! *chuffed*
Back to top Go down
JessieAddick
little beast
little beast
JessieAddick

Female Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Live at the Olympics?   Elbow Live at the Olympics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Aug 2012, 14:03

HattyMarris wrote:
As a result of their performance at the Closing Ceremony, 'One Day Like This' today charted at No. 4 in the official UK Chart!

TSSK also made it back to No. 6 in the Albums chart, not a bad week at all for the boys
That's so great to hear!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/jessieron
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Live at the Olympics?   Elbow Live at the Olympics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Aug 2012, 10:02

Kim wrote:

On the Live vs. Pre-recorded thing, the vocals for both Elbow and Muse were definitely live but I'm not so sure that the music wasn't pre-recorded after all.

Noel was interviewed after the beady eye performance and confirmed the pre-record... although he suggested the vox was part of the pre-record too.

Kim wrote:
What do you lot reckon? How did it seem with the other bands that played?

i was in denmark so watched via their feed... sounds was pants but i think that we the hotel tele! the first half with a bit naff for me, the elbow bit with everyone coming in was excellent... liked the pink floyd bit, the tightrope walker was inspired... should have just kept freddie on the big screen rather than get jessie j to play with roger & brian for the queen bit... brilliant to hear brighton rock though!

guy's 6music show has some behind the scene tit-bits this week...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Live at the Olympics?   Elbow Live at the Olympics? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Elbow Live at the Olympics?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2