elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Elbow Remains Stubbornly Unfashionable, But Widely Popular

Go down 
+3
emma
Cozzer
HattyMarris
7 posters
AuthorMessage
HattyMarris
friend of ours
friend of ours
HattyMarris

Male Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2010-10-26

Elbow Remains Stubbornly Unfashionable, But Widely Popular Empty
PostSubject: Elbow Remains Stubbornly Unfashionable, But Widely Popular   Elbow Remains Stubbornly Unfashionable, But Widely Popular Icon_minitimeFri 18 Mar 2011, 21:44

Back to top Go down
Cozzer
little beast
little beast
Cozzer

Male Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Remains Stubbornly Unfashionable, But Widely Popular   Elbow Remains Stubbornly Unfashionable, But Widely Popular Icon_minitimeFri 18 Mar 2011, 22:03

From the article:

"Garvey’s vocals arrive wrapped in so much reverb that it’s hard not to envision someone singing softly in a big space"

Utter bollocks. This critic knows next to nothing about music production and has not really listened to the album. If anything the vocals are 'dry' on BARB. Mmmm ...
Back to top Go down
emma
friend of ours
friend of ours
emma

Female Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Remains Stubbornly Unfashionable, But Widely Popular   Elbow Remains Stubbornly Unfashionable, But Widely Popular Icon_minitimeFri 18 Mar 2011, 22:52

Rather ashamed this is a Torontonian newspaper... Neutral
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2226544041
HattyMarris
friend of ours
friend of ours
HattyMarris

Male Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Remains Stubbornly Unfashionable, But Widely Popular   Elbow Remains Stubbornly Unfashionable, But Widely Popular Icon_minitimeFri 18 Mar 2011, 23:33

I also get a bit fed up of the constant comparisons to Chris Martin

Is this all Elbow will ever be in to the masses, a lesser version of Coldplay, its ridiculous!
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Remains Stubbornly Unfashionable, But Widely Popular   Elbow Remains Stubbornly Unfashionable, But Widely Popular Icon_minitimeFri 18 Mar 2011, 23:50

Mostly positive, but certainly seems to have a level of ignorance... a small amount of research will tell you exactly what JIARG is all about, and it's not difficult to comprehend, whether you are from Toronto or Bury.
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Remains Stubbornly Unfashionable, But Widely Popular   Elbow Remains Stubbornly Unfashionable, But Widely Popular Icon_minitimeSat 19 Mar 2011, 18:07

Considine sounds like a bored, slightly vacuous hack who doesn't really enjoy his job or understand music which falls outside of a specific genre.

Spanner.
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Remains Stubbornly Unfashionable, But Widely Popular   Elbow Remains Stubbornly Unfashionable, But Widely Popular Icon_minitimeSun 20 Mar 2011, 12:24

Lol.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._D._Considine
is the journalist

This is an amusing piece, he has written.
I havn't looked any furher than wiki, but as he is the same age as me, I'm guessing that he was in the band of journalists who used to write in a similar fashion about 'prog' music(this genre was only labelled 'prog' later when media deemed it unfashionable against 'punk'
Difference is now...we have the internet so we all can all have our musical tastes regardless.
Then, this kind of journalism was very damaging to bands of this genre( the ones who wern't all noodly and pompous and bombastic with wizards hats and capes Rolling Eyes who were still trying to make it.
The musical press and labels could literally make or break a band then, so I suppose some things have moved on.

from the article:
"they just as frequently rely on string effects that could have been pinched from the Moody Blues’ Days of Future Passed"

Laughing the Moody Blues in an elbow review....amused... much.

( I personally found even the Moody Blues a bit pompous, there was a hell of a lot of other quality music even then that wasn't)
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Remains Stubbornly Unfashionable, But Widely Popular   Elbow Remains Stubbornly Unfashionable, But Widely Popular Icon_minitimeSun 20 Mar 2011, 12:53

To me, he has the look of a man adrift in the modern world.

lucky with disease wrote:

I'm guessing that he was in the band of journalists who used to write in a similar fashion about 'prog' music(this genre was only labelled 'prog' later when media deemed it unfashionable against 'punk'.

LWD, not so sure about your timing of when and how the term 'prog' was coined. Journalists certainly began to use 'prog' as a negative term, post-punk, but I distinctly remember it being in use when I was at school in the mid 70's. It's just that, in the nature of these things, one minute it was cool and the next it wasn't. Now it is again Smile .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Remains Stubbornly Unfashionable, But Widely Popular   Elbow Remains Stubbornly Unfashionable, But Widely Popular Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Elbow Remains Stubbornly Unfashionable, But Widely Popular
Page 1 of 1