elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Peter Gabriel's "Scratch my Back" preview

Go down 
+3
allyngibson
ElbowFreak
TamedLamia
7 posters
AuthorMessage
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Peter Gabriel's "Scratch my Back" preview Empty
PostSubject: Peter Gabriel's "Scratch my Back" preview   Peter Gabriel's "Scratch my Back" preview Icon_minitimeMon 14 Dec 2009, 19:38

http://realworld.co.uk/podcasts/petergabriel_scratchmyback_01.mp3
Contains also a snippet of Gabriel's version of "Mirrorball" Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Peter Gabriel's "Scratch my Back" preview   Peter Gabriel's "Scratch my Back" preview Icon_minitimeFri 18 Dec 2009, 21:52

Oh, another Realworld clicker! :-)

Oh man... wenn Peter nicht immer soviel reden würde! *grins*
Sorry, switched to German. Well, he's very talkative when it's about music! :-)

Well, he I didn't know that you could stripp this song anymore down. At the beginning especially. But it's great with the Orchestra. Love it! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

Male Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Peter Gabriel's "Scratch my Back" preview   Peter Gabriel's "Scratch my Back" preview Icon_minitimeMon 21 Dec 2009, 01:50

Awesome. Smile

Any rumors about which Gabriel song Elbow will cover?
Back to top Go down
http://www.allyngibson.net/
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Peter Gabriel's "Scratch my Back" preview   Peter Gabriel's "Scratch my Back" preview Icon_minitimeMon 21 Dec 2009, 07:18

Thanks for this - wonderful! I've tried yet again to register with PG's site; the updates don't seem to get through to either of my e-mails. Sad

Fantastic to hear the previews, lovely to hear some new PG (the way he does covers they are new) and it has to be said the orchestral arrangements, particularly of Mirrorball, sound awesome. Very Happy

@Elbowfreak: I love it when he rambles on. Wink

Me too, really look forward to the Elbow "I'll scratch yours" too...
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Peter Gabriel's "Scratch my Back" preview   Peter Gabriel's "Scratch my Back" preview Icon_minitimeTue 22 Dec 2009, 09:21

I'm going to have to listen to this again Peter Gabriel's "Scratch my Back" preview Icon_neutral, the most essential instrument of this elbow tune has been cut out... and some orchestral of what has been added seems superfluous and contrived... what I heard anyway.
Yet I loved the stripped versions and the handling of the preceding songs in the clip and can happily drown in Peter's talking voice too.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: Peter Gabriel's "Scratch my Back" preview   Peter Gabriel's "Scratch my Back" preview Icon_minitimeTue 22 Dec 2009, 09:43

I'm going to have to listen again myself! (Preferably to the real thing - anyone know when it's due out?) But all this Christmas feast of PG and advent-calendar JT - I'd better get some work done first! Wink

Having said that I know what you mean, but then again I do tend to prefer covers/new versions when they're totally new and different, otherwise they simply tend to make me want to go back and listen to the original.
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Peter Gabriel's "Scratch my Back" preview   Peter Gabriel's "Scratch my Back" preview Icon_minitimeTue 22 Dec 2009, 10:06

Glendarian wrote:
I'm going to have to listen again myself! (Preferably to the real thing - anyone know when it's due out?)
According to the PG website, 15th Feb.
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Peter Gabriel's "Scratch my Back" preview   Peter Gabriel's "Scratch my Back" preview Icon_minitimeWed 23 Dec 2009, 15:57

thanks for the link TL, it was interesting to hear his cover/reinterpretation of The Boy In The Bubble - when I was 10 I had a tape with Paul Simon's "Graceland" on one side and Peter Gabriel's "So" on the other, they were my first introduction to what I suppose I thought of as "adult" music with meaningful lyrics (apart from Madness, but I didn't really understand the true meaning behind their lyrics until much later) so there's always been a vague connection between the two in my mind.

lucky with disease wrote:
I'm going to have to listen to this again Peter Gabriel's "Scratch my Back" preview Icon_neutral, the most essential instrument of this elbow tune has been cut out... and some orchestral of what has been added seems superfluous and contrived... what I heard anyway.
Yet I loved the stripped versions and the handling of the preceding songs in the clip and can happily drown in Peter's talking voice too.

Yeah, agreed - the orchestral bit was a bit "whoah!" - although it's hard to make a judgement when only listening to the third verse and final chorus.
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: Peter Gabriel's "Scratch my Back" preview   Peter Gabriel's "Scratch my Back" preview Icon_minitimeTue 29 Dec 2009, 13:43

True to my impulsive style I've just booked to see the "New Blood" show in London in March, where they'll be playing the songs from this project. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Peter Gabriel's "Scratch my Back" preview   Peter Gabriel's "Scratch my Back" preview Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Peter Gabriel's "Scratch my Back" preview
Page 1 of 1