elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings?

Go down 
+8
ChrissieInFL
My Bury Vest
LongLegs
ticky
Craig Potter
DavidM
MagicalTrevor
felstead
12 posters
AuthorMessage
felstead
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-08-19

Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings? Empty
PostSubject: Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings?   Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings? Icon_minitimeWed 19 Aug 2009, 22:07

Hi there. This is my first post here - nothing like in at the deep end eh!

It’s a rather speculative request to see if anyone out there knows of or has a copy of a recording of the concert at Somerset House in 2006.

It was a great concert but was made particularly special for me due to Guy dedicating Scattered Black and Whites to my then recently departed friend Chris. We had sent a note via their myspace site telling them about Chris, who had introduced us all to the band back in the early days of the first album. Scattered Black and Whites was one of his favourite tracks and had been played at his funeral. We’d written to them telling them a bit about this and how much he’d loved the band.

We hadn’t expected anything, just wanted to let the band know really. So we were pretty shocked when Guy dedicated the song during the opening bars. Still brings the odd tear when I think about it.

I know that it was recorded off the sound board but have never seen any sight of a recording.

If anybody knows anything about a recording please let me know - I’d love to hear it again.

Cheers

James
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings?   Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings? Icon_minitimeWed 19 Aug 2009, 22:48

Welcome James, and what a touching story. You've come to the right place, though I don't posess a recording myself, if one is in circulation I am sure someone on here will have it.

I hope you stick around and get to know everyone here, it's a great place.
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
DavidM
fallen angel
fallen angel
DavidM

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings?   Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings? Icon_minitimeThu 20 Aug 2009, 12:24

Hi James- indeed a touching story! I was there that night and remember Guy saying the gig was being recorded for a live DVD- at a later time i sent a txt to his radio show ( he was then on xfm manchester)- asking what ever happened to the DVD- his response was that they were trying to get the cash together to edit it!! they had already parted company with V2... so guess it just never happened. A real shame as it was such an amazing evening!! Who knows .... now that they are making a few quid :-) it might see the light of day!
Back to top Go down
felstead
newborn
newborn

PostSubject: Re: Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings?   Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings? Icon_minitimeThu 20 Aug 2009, 12:36

yes - you never know, although i suspect now the impetus has been lost it's unlikley.

I guess my only real hope was that a copy had sneaked out and may exist in the hands of s select few but haven't managed to track anything down. Oh well.

Thanks

james
Back to top Go down
Craig Potter
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings?   Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings? Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 21:46

James,

I've finally managed to get hold of a rough mix of Scattered at Somerset house. Sorry it's taken so long.

Can I post a file in this thread?

How does it work?

I'm happy for everyone to be able to download it......

Hello everyone! The album is going VERY well. We're all buzzing about it at the moment.

Cheers

Craig x
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings?   Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings? Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 21:57

Cheers Craig, interested in hearing this myself.

You can either use http://www.rapidshare.com/ to upload it, and post the link here (but I think that link is only valid for 10 downloads) or send me the link via PM and I'll figure some way to host it so that everyone can get a copy.

Great news about the album, looking forward to it Smile
Back to top Go down
Craig Potter
fallen angel
fallen angel

PostSubject: Re: Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings?   Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings? Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 22:10

Thanks MT!

Here's the link - http://rapidshare.com/files/399076655/13_Scattered_Black_and_Whites.mp3.html

Feel free to download it and then make it available for more than 10 people if you don't mind.

As I said, it's a rough mix, but it actually doesn't sound too bad at all. It's got the dedication at the front....

Cheers

Craig.
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings?   Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings? Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 22:23

Wow...I just listened to that on my Rokit KRKs, which aren't the best monitors in the world, but it's a mix I'd be damned proud of!

I'll email James directly as he may have turned off email notification. And I'll figure out hosting one way or another, even if I have to keep Rapidsharing it.

Thanks again Craig, stellar work Smile
Back to top Go down
Craig Potter
fallen angel
fallen angel

PostSubject: Re: Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings?   Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings? Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 22:36

It sounds good doesn't it.

I didn't mix it though. Our FOH guy mixed it soon after the gig so we could have a quick listen.

It was a quick mix apparently but he did a good job.
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings?   Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings? Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 22:39

I bet there's rich pickings in the soundboard collection Smile

Anyway, this link should work when the RapidShare one runs out...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2758377/13_Scattered_Black_and_Whites.mp3
Back to top Go down
felstead
newborn
newborn

PostSubject: Re: Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings?   Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings? Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 23:33

well - I'm a bit taken aback really.

For me this was such a touching and poignant moment, I'm incredibly grateful - can't quite believe that I am now listening to it again. And what a stunning version - it's absolutely beautiful! I must confess I was a bit of a mess when it happened, the more than unexpected dedication unleashed quite a torrent of emotion that had been bottled up following my friends passing. I certainly remember the concert being a just about perfect evening of stunning music in a beautiful setting but I left staggered at the generosity of spirit of 5 men I didn't know personally at all.

Now I'm here again. I'll be quite honest Craig, I pretty much gave up hoping and figured you would be just too busy. Thank you so much - it's a bit difficult in the format of an internet forum to express my gratitude without sounding like a 15 year old. I'm genuinely touched that you would even remember, let alone spare the time and effort to track this down.

It will mean a huge amount to his close friends and family as well. If you think they'd remember please pass on my thanks to the other members of the band. I know a friend of mine bumped into Guy whilst working at glastonbury one year and they discussed it, amongst other things.

Thanks again Craig, I'm indebted to you, genuinely.

James
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings?   Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings? Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 06:03

Thanks so much for posting that Craig - it's my favourite Elbow song and that is a wonderful version.
Back to top Go down
Craig Potter
fallen angel
fallen angel

PostSubject: Re: Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings?   Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings? Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 06:32

My pleasure James.

I'm genuinely sorry it took so long.

Love to all of Chris' friends and family from elbow.

x
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings?   Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings? Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 09:43

What a beautiful gesture in 2006 and again today, it bought a tear to my eye.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings?   Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings? Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 10:52

What a lovely story..........nice one James, dead pleased for you..........good on yer Mr Potter of the C variety. Smile
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings?   Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings? Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 15:26

See...this sort of thing is why I started a Craig Potter Appreciation Thread! Very Happy What a lovely effort to help out a fan, and what a lovely performance of one of my very favorite Elbow songs. Thanks Craig for sharing that with James and with all of us. cheers
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings?   Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings? Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 16:20

Nice one! Thanks Craig!

Btw. can't wait to hear new stuff from you lads! Very Happy
Greets from Germany!
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857

PostSubject: Re: Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings?   Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings? Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 18:54

Lovely recording! And really such a nice gesture. Beeing a music fan for almost 40 years and after seeing a lot bands I have not very often seen bands that close to their fans like Elbow. I love you
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings?   Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings? Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 20:37

How wonderful! I'm so pleased for you James (and for us to get to share it as well, of course!) and what a lovely thing to do Craig.
Thrilled to hear the new album is progressing well!
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727

PostSubject: Re: Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings?   Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings? Icon_minitimeWed 16 Jun 2010, 07:32

What a lovely story, then and now.

Thanks very much from me too, Craig. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings?   Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Somerset House 2006 - any live recordings?
Page 1 of 1