elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

George Lassoos the Moon

Go down 
+2
fadeupyoursmile
lucky with disease
6 posters
AuthorMessage
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

George Lassoos the Moon Empty
PostSubject: George Lassoos the Moon   George Lassoos the Moon Icon_minitimeFri 14 Aug 2009, 22:24

See, I've used the Noisebox spelling...

As this is the only Noisebox song that seems to be left out from the tracklisting of the advertised deluxe Asleep in the back package, I've been listening over to the three versions I have.
Noisebox, b-side and a bootleg from the last time it was played live in 2004.

I still get goosebumps listening to this song, maybe its the proggie keyboards.
Noisebox original version is my favourite... for the metallic scraping in the longer intro, the emotion in Guy's vocals, the others eery harmonies of 'Its not funny anymore' with the strings and the timings in the outro.
The Any day now Ep version seems more like a live version, louder, rockier with the vocals more buried, and no strings. I like this too.

My favourite part of the song is always how the last 2 minutes of Craig's piano makes me ache inside, I really missed that, and so wanted more, when they cut it short after Guy's vocals when they last played it live.
The bootleg is more drum, guitar heavy and I'd have liked to hear Craig's organ more.
I havn't heard the early live at Astoria version so looking forward to hearing what that is like.

This is the Any day now Ep version:

the video here I think does go with the song but has nothing to do with the title which came from the film

'It's a Wonderful Life'
An angel shows Jimmy Stewart how the world is a poorer place without him.

George Bailey (Jimmy Stewart) drunk with drink and love, while walking his girlfriend home says "What is it you want, Mary? What do you want? You want the moon? Just say the word and I'll throw a lasso around it and pull it down. Hey. That's a pretty good idea. I'll give you the moon, Mary.
Mary: I'll take it. Then what?
George: Well, then you can swallow it, and it'll all dissolve, see... and the moonbeams would shoot out of your fingers and your toes and the ends of your hair... am I talking too much?".

Later in the film she reminds him of their earlier days with a cartoon titled George lassoes the moon.

So what do you think of this song?
Any ideas why you think they don't play it now.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: George Lassoos the Moon   George Lassoos the Moon Icon_minitimeSat 15 Aug 2009, 01:40

lucky with disease wrote:
I'd have liked to hear Craig's organ more.
That's what she said...
But anyway i really, truly and absolutely love this tune, from toes to follicles, every bit of me! Every version i've heard, and there are a few. It's been my sig, subject of blogs. amazing driving song, background to odd and awkward moments of my life. Personally i prefer the Noisebox version, but that's because of the vocals!
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: George Lassoos the Moon   George Lassoos the Moon Icon_minitimeSat 15 Aug 2009, 07:03

Guys voice sounds so different at that time!!!

But it's a great song! Thanks for posting.
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: George Lassoos the Moon   George Lassoos the Moon Icon_minitimeSat 15 Aug 2009, 16:58

For me, the Any Day Now EP George is in a three-way tie for favourite B-side, alongside Drunken Engineer & McGreggor.

Never really thought through why it's such a strong song before, but:
1. The music contrasts between dark and brooding through to subtle, then uplifting.
2. Lyrically, you could see how Guy's identifying with IAWL's George Bailey - feeling lowly ('suck on your plastic spoon') and despondent ('not to fret, do it again') to the point of going/getting mad. The tone of stark realisation & soothing self-talk isn't something you get in many songs.
3. So many film fans love It's A Wonderful Life making the reference doubly cool. If you haven't seen it, do - it's proper life-affirming stuff. Especially around Christmas. Very Happy
4. There's something of 'voices in your head' about the others' backing compared with Guy's soaring vocals. Cue shivers down yer spine.

Plus - there's a 'Mr Potter' in the film, but he's not exactly the hero of the piece!
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: George Lassoos the Moon   George Lassoos the Moon Icon_minitimeSat 15 Aug 2009, 17:02

It's one of my absolute favourite Elbow songs, I love the darkness in it. It's one I'd really love to hear it live - in answer to your question LWD I can't imagine why they don't play it anymore. If they were going to start including more from their back catalogue in live sets (and I hope they do) I'd love George to be up at the top of the list!

Thanks for the background too - I knew it was a quote from a film, but not the details. Where's the video from? (Apart from YouTube Smile) I liked the atmosphere and in a way it goes, but it's nothing like my personal mental "feel" of the song - but I suppose these things rarely are.

Any more info on the AITB package? I hadn't heard of it till seeing this thread - looks really exciting with all the early live tracks.
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: George Lassoos the Moon   George Lassoos the Moon Icon_minitimeSun 16 Aug 2009, 11:48

I really love that song and hope, that the live version on the AITB-reissue will have that quiet ending which is really heartrending.
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: George Lassoos the Moon   George Lassoos the Moon Icon_minitimeTue 29 Sep 2009, 12:02

George Lassoos the Moon Alb_1915

I can see with the Noisebox EP being so rare and sought after, a reason maybe of keeping the best track of Noisebox off of the AITB-reissue. Then Noisebox remains still rare and sought after.
I wonder if it would ever be re-released on the B-side and rarities album, I do love the Noisebox version even more than the second b-side version.

The source of that film that the b-side version has been added to on youtube is described on there, Glendarian. I suppose it was like their ultimate dream at the time...but also appears untrue to real life.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: George Lassoos the Moon   George Lassoos the Moon Icon_minitimeWed 28 Oct 2009, 16:19

One of life's little coincidences - I'm currently reading the Time Traveler's Wife, and there's a reference to that scene from It's a Wonderful Life - I'd never have known it was anything to do with our George if it wasn't for this thread so thanks, folks. Smile
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: George Lassoos the Moon   George Lassoos the Moon Icon_minitimeFri 13 Nov 2009, 21:02

They did not use the full version. Ok, I have the full versions but still I can not understand why they don't release the full version. That quiteness after the loud part. The minimalistic guitar solo. LET IT OUT!
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: George Lassoos the Moon   George Lassoos the Moon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

George Lassoos the Moon
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: elbow music-
Jump to: