elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Meltdown

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Meltdown Empty
PostSubject: Meltdown   Meltdown Icon_minitimeMon 21 Apr 2008, 10:03

Elbow will be playing at the Massive Attack curated Meltdown festival at the Royal Festival Hall on 16th June. Support will come from Fleet Foxes.

See you there.

http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/all-events/meltdown/

Last edited by MagicalTrevor on Sat 28 Feb 2009, 02:44; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Moved to Announcements)
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Meltdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meltdown   Meltdown Icon_minitimeThu 24 Apr 2008, 08:12

The Southbank Centre website is truely shite.

EDIT: ...but their phone service is much better! Any other SBC members get tickets? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
russycarps
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Meltdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meltdown   Meltdown Icon_minitimeSat 03 May 2008, 21:59

me!

cheers
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Male Number of posts : 2079
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Meltdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meltdown   Meltdown Icon_minitimeSat 03 May 2008, 22:01

Is that an answer to some imaginary question?

(or are you just pointing out that you will be there?)
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Meltdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meltdown   Meltdown Icon_minitimeMon 16 Jun 2008, 11:46

Guy Garvey, in The Times, wrote:
When an idea is exciting enough, the natural response is to laugh. And I had a right laugh recently with four total strangers. They were key players behind this year’s Meltdown Festival: Neill Quinton (participation programmer), Jane Beese (senior music programmer), Ed Smith (technical director) and Mary King (the director of Voicelab, which provides opportunities for both amateur and professional singers).

When Elbow met them to discuss the band’s involvement in the festival, it soon became apparent that – along with the orchestrator John Browne – these like-minded souls were not only more than willing to help us put on a great show, but also incredibly enthusiastic about the possibilities for music performance in general. And that sort of thing’s catching.

When Rob (3D) Delnaja from Massive Attack – the curators of the festival for 2008 – asked Elbow to play he said: “Do something different; do something special, something you’ve always wanted to do.”

So we went to the meeting with a few ideas. “Can we have a choir, please? A massive one?” we said. Mary King, of Voicelab, suggested a choir of 20. I said: “Some of the songs have choruses that sound more like football crowds. Can we have 40?”

This wasn’t a problem – Voicelab has the means and the ambition to do great big things – and it wasn’t all, either. The offers came thick and fast. “We have a beautiful pipe organ in the Festival Hall – could you use it?” asked Ed Smith. Craig, our keyboards player, blushed, grinned and said: “Thank you.” I mentioned a brass part and was asked if I want a brass section. The buzz for the project from these strangers was flattering and inspiring. These people want to help people make spectacular events.

We left the meeting on such a high – and with such high hopes for Meltdown – that it reminded me of other times that people with enthusiasm for the music we were making secured or supplied funding to make stuff possible.

When Elbow started out 18 years ago, rehearsal space was expensive and buying our own equipment was the stuff that dreams were made of. A bloke called Geoff ran a rock school at our Sixth Form college. On a Wednesday they gave us a space and lent us equipment. Then the Prince’s Trust gave us £500, enough for us to get ourselves and our borrowed gear to France in a yellow ex-British Telecom van.

During the three weeks we spent there together, we all fell so deeply in love with the idea of making music every day that I believe it kept us going for the next seven years until we got a recording contract.

Earlier than that, the local Catholic priest allowed my first band, the Synoptic Reverb (yikes) – who never played a gig but looked great – to use the scout hut for rehearsals. This experience, although cut short by Father O when we left the heating on for a week, led to where I am now. For young me, being in a band wasn’t just about making music – it was about belonging to something too.

So here’s an idea to laugh about. Young musicians need a room. What they do in there is up to them. There are many struggling rehearsal room facilities in the country. I propose some kind of sponsorship – private, government, Arts Council, who cares – to give a soundproofed space containing basic equipment to anybody who wants it. Advice and tuition are already available across the UK, but if we give people room, 16 years from now maybe they’ll be laughing with total strangers, too.
Should be a great night, and one that is a totally different experience to Delamere.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Meltdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meltdown   Meltdown Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Meltdown
Page 1 of 1