elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gig Buddies

Go down 
+5
Kim
al
My Bury Vest
redliz2
WOBLEwoble
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Female Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-06

Gig Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Gig Buddies   Gig Buddies Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 10:35

I so love many many bands out there now and am brave enough to go to a few gigs by myself. +I have a fantastic daughter who has a very similar taste in music to me OR I in her music tastes !! We go to some gigs together with her friends BUT I don't live close to her and miss out on many gigs.

I have some brilliant friends but 'oh dear' none at all with my love of music. Try as I do they are not interested in gigging - I think it is an age thing. Sorry but I know I am fast approaching the big 60 I am not going to give up the chance of getting up to the barrier at gigs and enjoying myself. I am way off zimmer frame time!!!!

My daughters suggestion is I look for a gig buddy!!! Hoping to meet up with ELBOW fans at the MEN gig or before it- we will be there early

Is my daughter foolish in her suggestion or is there a way of finding gig buddies????

Please get the image of a sad old grey haired lady out of your heads. That is so so not me. sunny Gigging isn't just for a 'certain age' - come on all elbow forum folks - any other 'older' ones - is there a solution to my problem.

scratch lol!
Back to top Go down
redliz2
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Gig Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Buddies   Gig Buddies Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 11:29

me!!
I'll meet up with you ...we can go to the meet in Sinclairs together ('cos I'm afeared to go by myself )
funny enough my mates and I once mused on whether we ought to set up an agency to pair people up for gig going in this a day and age of singletons reckon it'd be a winner Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Gig Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Buddies   Gig Buddies Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 11:46

Hey guys, I met up with some of the gang members before the Halle shows on my own and they really are a lovely bunch...well, the 10 or so I met !! Nowt to worry about..........look on the Evening with Guy Garvey link and you'll see the mob on there, it gave me a clue as to who I was looking for !!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Gig Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Buddies   Gig Buddies Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 11:50

Hey Redliz, you wear a City shirt for the MEN and we'll find you easy !! haha !!

Saw your naughty words on the Doves site about my beloved Blues, tut, tut Evil or Very Mad !!
Back to top Go down
al
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Gig Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Buddies   Gig Buddies Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 12:01

Keep your eye on the MEN thread closer to the time, I'm sure a time and place for meeting up will be arranged! If the more local boardies could handle that responsibility, as Sarah and I won't have the foggiest where we are Wink

I've tried gigs with "real" friends, but when you can tell they're not enjoying it as much as you then it really puts a dampener on the whole experience. All the elbow gigs I've ever been to have been with people I've met via the internet, who by and large have much better taste in music and therefore we have a really good time!
Back to top Go down
redliz2
little beast
little beast

Gig Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Buddies   Gig Buddies Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 15:18

My Bury Vest wrote:
Hey Redliz, you wear a City shirt for the MEN and we'll find you easy !! haha !!

oh ha ha ..my sides ..they appear to have split ... Razz

You think I'm naughty now ..just wait till the season starts Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

Female Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Gig Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Buddies   Gig Buddies Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 18:13

Yay I have a gig buddy. If you can find someone with similar music tastes and who lives even vaguely close and who likes gigging then it's brilliant!

What kind of bands do you like then? Give us a list of ones you've seen in the past, so we can see who'd be suitable and would want to go to similar ones. ^_^
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Gig Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Buddies   Gig Buddies Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 18:17

GREAT RESPONSE - MY THANKS TO FELLOW ELBOW FAN?

Are there any of you from my part of the country - Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire ????

Most def will be at MEN early to meet up.

I am sure my lovely daughter will put me up so I can do more gigs Manchester way.
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Gig Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Buddies   Gig Buddies Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 18:20

redliz2 wrote:
me!!
I'll meet up with you ...we can go to the meet in Sinclairs together ('cos I'm afeared to go by myself )
funny enough my mates and I once mused on whether we ought to set up an agency to pair people up for gig going in this a day and age of singletons reckon it'd be a winner Twisted Evil

Is Sinclairs Manchester way?

What would you call the agency ???
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Gig Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Buddies   Gig Buddies Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 18:24

Kim wrote:
Yay I have a gig buddy. If you can find someone with similar music tastes and who lives even vaguely close and who likes gigging then it's brilliant!

What kind of bands do you like then? Give us a list of ones you've seen in the past, so we can see who'd be suitable and would want to go to similar ones. ^_^

Last gig was Doves. got Franz F coming up + Muse (sheffield). Still like to get to see some old old favs - Crowded House last year and Joan Armatrading (seeing her again next year in Derby. She is a long time favourite. Wish I had been to see Kasabian. Just got last album - on all the time at the mo until Muse's new one comes out.

Oh - and I must admit going to see Will Young.

Would love to go to a festival !!!! Never done that.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Gig Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Buddies   Gig Buddies Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jul 2009, 16:10

Wish I was closer to ya WOBLEwoble - I'd be up for some shows if you needed a gig buddy! I have gone to many shows alone - same deal as you, I just don't have too many friends in my age group that share my taste in music. Luckily I now have a couple of friends who have recently figured out how awesome Elbow are, so I won't be heading to the Atlanta show solo, like I had to do for Elbow's show in Chicago last year. And you definitely need to hit a fest sometime - one of the best times I've ever had was at the Langeardo festival a few years back (Flaming Lips, Wilco, and a bunch of other acts I love). Went alone to that as well, come to think of it, but at a fest you meet SO MANY cool people so you really aren't on your own there! Smile
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

Gig Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Buddies   Gig Buddies Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jul 2009, 20:04

WOBLEwoble wrote:
Just got last album - on all the time at the mo until Muse's new one comes out.

Ahhh, a woman after my own heart!!

I'm in London unfortunately but if you're ever down this way and we're going to the same gig then it'd be great to meet up beforehand!
Back to top Go down
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

Gig Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Buddies   Gig Buddies Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jul 2009, 23:19

What a cool mum/person you sound. Ohhhh, I'd give anything to be your gig buddy at the Manchester gig. Unfortunately, have double booked that date with Coldplay at Wembley (family outing) otherwise I would have been there.

When I met up with the guys from the Forum at the G.G. evening we had a fab night, they were very welcoming and such a lovely bunch. You'll feel right at home with them I'm sure.
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Gig Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Buddies   Gig Buddies Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jul 2009, 23:20

Oh I do love Elbow Fans

sunny Very Happy
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Gig Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Buddies   Gig Buddies Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jul 2009, 23:29

Lynne wrote:
What a cool mum/person you sound. Ohhhh, I'd give anything to be your gig buddy at the Manchester gig. Unfortunately, have double booked that date with Coldplay at Wembley (family outing) otherwise I would have been there.

When I met up with the guys from the Forum at the G.G. evening we had a fab night, they were very welcoming and such a lovely bunch. You'll feel right at home with them I'm sure.

love your aviatar Lynne - where was it taken?

Getting my mirrorball earings ready for MEN gig. so I should be spottable by other Elbow Fans. Looking forward to meeting many before the gig starts. I am planning to get to Manchester early. Looking out on the MEN link for where others are going to meet.
Back to top Go down
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

Gig Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Buddies   Gig Buddies Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jul 2009, 23:35

Was taken at the stage door at the Newport gig in March. What a night that was, what a Guy!! The first time I ever saw them and am completely hooked!!!

Don't need to wish you a fab time in September I'm sooo wishing I could be there. My hubby has compromised and we will see them one last time in Dublin supporting Coldplay (that same week as Coldplay Wembley - another busy week) before they go into hiding with the new album.

WOBLEwoble wrote:
Lynne wrote:

Getting my mirrorball earings ready for MEN gig. so I should be spottable by other Elbow Fans. Looking forward to meeting many before the gig starts. I am planning to get to Manchester early. Looking out on the MEN link for where others are going to meet.
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Gig Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Buddies   Gig Buddies Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jul 2009, 23:38

Lynne wrote:
Was taken at the stage door at the Newport gig in March. What a night that was, what a Guy!! The first time I ever saw them and am completely hooked!!!

Don't need to wish you a fab time in September I'm sooo wishing I could be there. My hubby has compromised and we will see them one last time in Dublin supporting Coldplay (that same week as Coldplay Wembley - another busy week) before they go into hiding with the new album.

WOBLEwoble wrote:
Lynne wrote:

Going to miss them soooo much!!!

Thats a good reason for as many of us to meet up for an ELBOW memories meeting and listen to some favourites. wonder who would be up for this. Pre Christmas Meeting !!! santa
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Gig Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Buddies   Gig Buddies Icon_minitimeSun 26 Jul 2009, 08:38

WOBLEwoble wrote:
Last gig was Doves. got Franz F coming up + Muse (sheffield). Still like to get to see some old old favs - Crowded House last year and Joan Armatrading (seeing her again next year in Derby. She is a long time favourite. Wish I had been to see Kasabian. Just got last album - on all the time at the mo until Muse's new one comes out.

Did you say...Kasabian! If you ever need a gig buddy for them then I'm your....person. LOVE them!!

And when it comes to Elbow I think you've got loads of gig buddies here on the forum! Me for one!!!
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Gig Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Buddies   Gig Buddies Icon_minitimeSun 26 Jul 2009, 09:08

al wrote:
I've tried gigs with "real" friends, but when you can tell they're not enjoying it as much as you then it really puts a dampener on the whole experience. All the elbow gigs I've ever been to have been with people I've met via the internet, who by and large have much better taste in music and therefore we have a really good time!

Yeah, me too. I'm going to Elbow/U2 with my friend and her sister and her sister's friend and I am terrified that we won't make it in time for their set. They are the sort who aren't bothered about seeing "the support", and like getting to the venue close to the show time, so we always cut it close. And while they like Elbow, they are no way near as fanatical as I am. Much rather go to that show with like-minded Elbowies on this forum. Went to Kasabian's HMV show and Academy show alone cos none of my friends are into them, and am going to their MEN show alone. But one nice thing about going to shows alone is that you meet great people in line. Met this one girl at the Elbow Apollo show - she and her friend were waiting in line and I joined them and for a couple of hours we were the only ones there and struck up a friendship. Saw her the next week at the second Elbow show....saw her at Blackpool...and I can now call lovely Kim a real friend and not just "a fellow fan at a show". In fact I have made true blue friends either through this forum or though Elbow....

What a great thread this is.

sunny
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

Gig Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Buddies   Gig Buddies Icon_minitimeSun 26 Jul 2009, 09:41

Aw stop, you'll make me blush hehe. I'm so so glad that I met you and Shirley and Chris, I adore you all!! And now after having met loads of forumers during Elbow Week I can see that it would be really easy to become good mates with all the rest too, heeee. cheers
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Gig Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Buddies   Gig Buddies Icon_minitimeSun 26 Jul 2009, 09:59

I just loved it during Elbow week when everyone met up and no one really knew who everyone was! LOL we didn't even know everyone's real names!! We'd be like "Who's that? Are they with the forum?" and then when they'd tell us their forum name there'd be this massive hug! Fabulous. It was like a surreal family reunion!!! I can't wait for the MEN show.
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Gig Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Buddies   Gig Buddies Icon_minitimeSun 26 Jul 2009, 12:31

sundaygirl wrote:
WOBLEwoble wrote:

Did you say...Kasabian! If you ever need a gig buddy for them then I'm your....person. LOVE them!!

And when it comes to Elbow I think you've got loads of gig buddies here on the forum! Me for one!!!

Going to be much braver and get to more gigs. And start chatting more. Looking forward to MEN. I (Pauline) need a big badge with WOBLEwoble on!!! lol!
Back to top Go down
redliz2
little beast
little beast

Gig Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Buddies   Gig Buddies Icon_minitimeMon 27 Jul 2009, 12:10

this thread is cheers
Looking forward to meeting peeps at MEN ...and if anyone is going to other gigs in manchester give me a shout ....later in autumn have Franz, Editors, Passion Pit ..all kinds lined up Very Happy
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Gig Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Buddies   Gig Buddies Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jul 2009, 00:18

MEN is going to such a fantastic night - its getting closer and closer !!! bounce
Back to top Go down
Lesley Gilks
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Gig Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Buddies   Gig Buddies Icon_minitimeSat 01 Aug 2009, 20:17

This is a great idea! My hubby's not that interested in my type of music ( with a few exceptions), so to have someone to go with is always a bonus.
Maybe, we can post any gigs that we have coming up.i have a spare ticket for the Franz ferdinand gig on the 23rd of october at the Brixton Academy, if anyone is interested.
Lesley
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gig Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Buddies   Gig Buddies Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gig Buddies
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: the hole (in the neighbourhood)-
Jump to: