elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Talking Heads

Go down 
+9
ChrissyBoy
leespoons
ChrissieInFL
Glendarian
MagicalTrevor
Topaz
Dabamash
Hotblack
Jonny
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Talking Heads - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Talking Heads   Talking Heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 19 Apr 2008, 23:51

*slap*

Did you like it?

Suspect

Hrmmm....
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Male Number of posts : 891
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Talking Heads   Talking Heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Apr 2008, 02:03

I like this Very Happy Thanks very much for your advice/recommendations, Topaz and Hotblack
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Talking Heads   Talking Heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Apr 2008, 06:54

Topaz wrote:
*slap*

Did you like it?

Suspect

Hrmmm....

More, more, more.... bounce
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Talking Heads   Talking Heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Apr 2008, 11:29

Hehe, sorry to interrupt the slapfest Twisted Evil but as a fellow 44-year-old and apparently with similar leanings to Hotblack (although I've never really been bothered by "labels") I second bands such as SImple Minds, the Cure, Joy Division (in fact i've coincidentally been having bit of a nostalgia trip with Simple Minds' Empires & Dance, the Cure's 17 Seconds, and Closer and Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division.) The Cocteau Twins are also brillliant. I also love Echo & the Bunnymen from that era, and think Siouxsie & the Banshees are wonderful.
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Talking Heads   Talking Heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Apr 2008, 11:33

PS I do like Talking Heads too Wink
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Talking Heads   Talking Heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Apr 2008, 15:15

Wow, missed this thread completely! Embarassed Talking Heads are one of those bands that I respect more than enjoy. Great musicians, great sound, very unique. They just leave me a little cold most of the time. I friggin' adore Tina Weymouth though - she made so many of those songs eternally memorable with her bass work.

Everyone who offered suggestions for other bands to try were spot on, but I would add Gang of Four to the list. If the Heads are makin' ya happy, I think you'd definitely enjoy them. First album (Entertainment) is where I'd start.
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

PostSubject: Re: Talking Heads   Talking Heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Apr 2008, 17:04

Cheers Chrissie, I've had that album sitting around for a while Smile now I'll actually give it it's moment of glory!
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: Talking Heads   Talking Heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Apr 2008, 17:16

seconded (or thirded) The Cure, Echo & The Bunnymen, Siouxsie and The Banshees and The Smiths...

I'd also recommend XTC, there's lots to choose from but their early albums Drums and Wires, Black Sea and English Settlement are good places to start.
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: Talking Heads   Talking Heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Apr 2008, 17:20

Hotblack wrote:
If you want something more ethereal, head off in the direction of The Cocteau Twins (not to be confused with the naff pop of The Thompson Twins).

What a mistake-a to make-a!

On-topic factoid: The Cocteau Twins' singer Liz Fraser was the vocalist on Massive Attack's 'Teardrop', which was later covered by Elbow.

The Thompson Twins, on the other hand, were a bit pants, although 'Hold Me Now' is a guilty pleasure of mine.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Talking Heads   Talking Heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Apr 2008, 17:27

jonny wrote:
Cheers Chrissie, I've had that album sitting around for a while Smile now I'll actually give it it's moment of glory!

Cool...hope you like it! Smile
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

PostSubject: Re: Talking Heads   Talking Heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Apr 2008, 19:37

lee spoons wrote:

On-topic factoid: The Cocteau Twins' singer Liz Fraser was the vocalist on Massive Attack's 'Teardrop', which was later covered by Elbow.
And more recently by Newton Faulkner (Nice enough album but no real grit to it.)

I love Liz Fraser's voice. She did a fantastic vocal on the first This Mortal Coil album 'It'll End In Tears' . It was a version of Tim Buckley's 'Song To The Siren' which can be seen on YouTube HERE
It sends shivers up and down my spine every time I hear it. An absolute classic.

And there's another cult band to try - This Mortal Coil. They only did three albums; It'll End In Tears, the stunningly gorgeous 'Filigree and Shadow' and 'Blood' which is a less good version of 'Filigree..' but still has some fantastic moments.

Very dark, spine tingling ethereal and richly textured stuff.
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

PostSubject: Re: Talking Heads   Talking Heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr 2008, 05:02

Think I've heard enough to be getting on with for now Laughing haven't even finished getting through Talking Head's stuff yet!
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

PostSubject: Re: Talking Heads   Talking Heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr 2008, 07:35

jonny wrote:
Think I've heard enough to be getting on with for now Laughing haven't even finished getting through Talking Head's stuff yet!

Yeah! Sorry! Crying or Very sad Getting all over enthusiastic and chucking stuff in to the pot whilst shouting 'Look at me, look at me. I'm a show off and I know loads of really good stuff.'

Smile
Back to top Go down
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

PostSubject: Re: Talking Heads   Talking Heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr 2008, 11:38

Have fun discovering!

I'll be the first to admit that some of my musical choices back in the day were, well, um....somewhat cheesy. But I did indeed love some of those cheesy corny 80's bands. Still do. They bring back all sorts of good memories for me. And within some of that cheesy music I chose to listen to back then(Devo, Thompson Twins, Billy Idol...hee), there were a lot of good ones thrown in there as well. I really have always been all over the place in my music appreciation.

But, I like to think that I've evolved a bit since then. Suspect
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Talking Heads   Talking Heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr 2008, 12:04

Topaz wrote:
I'll be the first to admit that some of my musical choices back in the day were, well, um....somewhat cheesy. But I did indeed love some of those cheesy corny 80's bands. Still do. They bring back all sorts of good memories for me. And within some of that cheesy music I chose to listen to back then(Devo, Thompson Twins, Billy Idol...hee), there were a lot of good ones thrown in there as well. I really have always been all over the place in my music appreciation.

But, I like to think that I've evolved a bit since then. Suspect

Dude, I saw Adam Ant in concert. On purpose. Three times! And here I am today, discussing Elbow, with you good people. Let's face it - the '80s were al about cheese, and if you were a teenager then (as I was) you couldn't help but listen to some utter crap. So, as you say, hooray for evolving! cheers
Back to top Go down
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

PostSubject: Re: Talking Heads   Talking Heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr 2008, 12:20

Adam Ant!

You don't drink
don't smoke
What do you do?

afro

*cheers* to cheesiness and evolving.
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345

PostSubject: Re: Talking Heads   Talking Heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr 2008, 17:19

ChrissieInFL wrote:

Dude, I saw Adam Ant in concert. On purpose. Three times! And here I am today, discussing Elbow, with you good people. Let's face it - the '80s were al about cheese, and if you were a teenager then (as I was) you couldn't help but listen to some utter crap. So, as you say, hooray for evolving! cheers

Ok, looks like a new thread required for first/embarassing concerts !
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

PostSubject: Re: Talking Heads   Talking Heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 23 Apr 2008, 06:54

I'm listening to Remain in Light for the first time right now - it's crazy! It's like with each album David Byrne gets a little more mental. Once in a Lifetime is wicked Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

PostSubject: Re: Talking Heads   Talking Heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 23 Apr 2008, 07:35

jonny wrote:
It's like with each album David Byrne gets a little more mental.

Ain't that the truth. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

PostSubject: Re: Talking Heads   Talking Heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 23 Apr 2008, 07:35

Topaz wrote:
Adam Ant!

You don't drink
don't smoke
What do you do?.

Maybe Adam Ant was the vice. Smile
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

PostSubject: Re: Talking Heads   Talking Heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 23 Apr 2008, 07:38

Topaz wrote:
I'll be the first to admit that some of my musical choices back in the day were, well, um....somewhat cheesy.
Didn't we all. Embarassed I've got loads of crap records buried away somewhere. I know I'll never play them again but I can't quite mange to bin them. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

PostSubject: Re: Talking Heads   Talking Heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 23 Apr 2008, 07:38

Duplicated post deleted.

Don't know how I managed it.

Last edited by Hotblack on Fri 25 Apr 2008, 17:09; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
asleepintheback
fallen angel
fallen angel
asleepintheback

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Talking Heads   Talking Heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 25 Apr 2008, 15:51

MagicalTrevor wrote:
Talking Heads saved me from total annoyance after walking out of the Badly Drawn Boy gig I was unfortunate enough to witness in 2000. I went home and put on my freshly acquired DVD of Stop Making Sense, and watched a band that showed me how a performance should be done. Spellbinding stuff.

Wow this is how I kind of felt about the second BDB gig I went to, nothing compared to David Byrne doing an acoustic set at the apollo a few years back, was awesome.
Back to top Go down
lifeswhatyoumakeit
fallen angel
fallen angel
lifeswhatyoumakeit

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2010-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Talking Heads   Talking Heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 06 Apr 2010, 19:32

Little Creatures album is my fav' one. Great band. Ilike David Byrne very much, a real artist i think
Back to top Go down
http://talktalk.rmc.fr
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Talking Heads   Talking Heads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 27 Dec 2012, 11:39

So... I brought the topic back, because I bought a Talking Heads Best-Of yesterday and I love it.
Through Wall Street I re-discovered them. I love their music. I think they could be even huge today (similar to Peter Gabriel). They defined music in the 80s (Yeah, not everything was bad Very Happy ) and it's very timeless (although they have the 80s sound).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Talking Heads   Talking Heads - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Talking Heads
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next