elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Prog rock - Is it coming back?!

Go down 
+7
yesman
Glendarian
Leo
Hotblack
fadeupyoursmile
WOBLEwoble
ticky
11 posters
AuthorMessage
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Prog rock  - Is it coming back?! Empty
PostSubject: Prog rock - Is it coming back?!   Prog rock  - Is it coming back?! Icon_minitimeSat 06 Jun 2009, 16:04

OK chaps - what are your views on prog rock? I'm really getting into The Decemberists and I think that we will soon be seeing the return of prog rock - obviously with a more modern sound. I don't mind admitting, I bought a copy of Rick Wakeman's Six Wives of Henry the Eighth (actually that was crap!). I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this. geek
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Female Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Prog rock - Is it coming back?!   Prog rock  - Is it coming back?! Icon_minitimeSat 06 Jun 2009, 16:12

ticky wrote:
OK chaps - what are your views on prog rock? I'm really getting into The Decemberists and I think that we will soon be seeing the return of prog rock - obviously with a more modern sound. I don't mind admitting, I bought a copy of Rick Wakeman's Six Wives of Henry the Eighth (actually that was crap!). I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this. geek

NOOOOOOO!!! Evil or Very Mad Didn't like it first time round. But WOBLEwoble is not a chap !!!

It is a bloke thing !!! So the chaps will agree that it should return.
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Prog rock - Is it coming back?!   Prog rock  - Is it coming back?! Icon_minitimeSat 06 Jun 2009, 16:16

Sorry - chaps and chapesses!
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Prog rock - Is it coming back?!   Prog rock  - Is it coming back?! Icon_minitimeSat 06 Jun 2009, 16:27

Not a fan, but i love the Decemberists!
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Prog rock - Is it coming back?!   Prog rock  - Is it coming back?! Icon_minitimeSat 06 Jun 2009, 16:56

I'm a prog fan, but only of the better end of it. There is (or rather was) an awful lot of pretentious, self-indulgent bollocks released at its height in the 70's. Good prog is fantastic, complex and emotional. Bad prog is banal, twee and excrutiatingly dull.

It's always been around in a quiet way over the last 30 years. Are we set for a resurgence? Possibly but I think the days of 20 minute epics about Goblin kings are probably (and thankfully) behind us.
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Prog rock - Is it coming back?!   Prog rock  - Is it coming back?! Icon_minitimeSun 07 Jun 2009, 15:11

YES! I love it.

Floyd, Yes, Tull, ELP... OOO its brilliant Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Prog rock - Is it coming back?!   Prog rock  - Is it coming back?! Icon_minitimeSun 07 Jun 2009, 15:21

I agree with most of what people have said. I love a lot of what's generally known as prog (though I don't remember it being called that first time around (eee when I were a lass Laughing)) - including Genesis, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Yes (and actually I like Rick Wakeman's Six Wives and King Arthur, but that may be as much for nostalgic reasons as inherent quality...) though I agree there's been a lot of pretentious c**p and excesses produced within the genre - I suppose like any genre, there's good and bad in everything, and just as I don't like people generally dismissing a lot of good music under the label of pretentious crap, similarly you can't say it's all good.

I've often heard people say it's a supposed to be a male thing. All I can say is I know I'm not the only woman who likes a lot of prog.

As for a comeback, well one of the things I like about the music of recent years is the wide range of influences, diversity and breakdown of genre boundaries (gosh, apologies if I'm starting to sound like Howard Moon here Laughing) - or perhaps it's just that I discover new music mainly on the Internet, through places like Last.fm or discussions on this and other forums of artists I like, so I'm mainly blissfully (stubbornly?) unaware of what's "in" or what it's supposed to be called.
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Female Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Prog rock - Is it coming back?!   Prog rock  - Is it coming back?! Icon_minitimeSun 07 Jun 2009, 15:55

Having been to a few gigs with my boyfriend I seem be surrounded by blokes. I work with a BIG prog rock fan and his wife refuses to go with him !!!
Back to top Go down
yesman
friend of ours
friend of ours
yesman

Male Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Prog rock - Is it coming back?!   Prog rock  - Is it coming back?! Icon_minitimeSun 07 Jun 2009, 16:26

Lot of good comments on this subject.

Since the age of about 13 I have been into what is affectionately ( and sometimes not so affectionately ) called "prog" rock.

Whilst there was definately some over-indulgence at times, with 30 minute drums solos and meandering interludes , there was also some very accomplished musicianship and complex intelligent sounds.

It is the closest form of popular music to classical and oftens draws comparisions.

There is always a problem when labelling music as it tends to get stereotyped. This is the case with "prog" rock. It is just not fashionable.

What is really exciting is all this so-called post-rock, indie music around at the moment and which in my mind has definate similarities to what is judged "prog" rock.

Listening to the likes of Elbow, Radiohead, The Decemberists and such confirms this is IMHO.

So is prog rock coming back ? Did it ever go away in the first place ? Perhaps a makeover was all that was needed !

Anyway I will always enjoy this type of music, whatever they call it !

In the words of the Bard..."A rose by any other name....."
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Prog rock - Is it coming back?!   Prog rock  - Is it coming back?! Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 10:46

Glendarian wrote:
.... I'm mainly blissfully (stubbornly?) unaware of what's "in" or what it's supposed to be called.

Same here. If I like it then I'll listen to it and sod what everybody else thinks. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Prog rock - Is it coming back?!   Prog rock  - Is it coming back?! Icon_minitimeWed 17 Jun 2009, 19:06

yesman wrote:
So is prog rock coming back ? Did it ever go away in the first place ?
I thought exactly the same. Every decade had its proggies.
70ies: the big ones like Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd ect.
80ies: Marillion
90ies: Radiohead
00s: a lot of retro proggies like Spock's Beard but also the Postrock-stuff
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Prog rock - Is it coming back?!   Prog rock  - Is it coming back?! Icon_minitimeMon 29 Jun 2009, 09:43

I sort of class Pink Floyd as being in a different category of thier own even though they fall into the prog thing, but before I came to my senses I was impressed by things like Brain Salad Surgery big drum kits Gongs, rugs, daft lyrics, Album covers that turned in to Tepees, and solo's that went on for 15 minutes.I find that whole episode of my life very embarrassing and best forgotten.
Although its almost sacrilege on here but apart from Peter Gabriel who redeemed himself with Womad, Genesis in general and Phil Collins in particular are reserved for particular scorn for representing all that is bad about music.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prog rock - Is it coming back?!   Prog rock  - Is it coming back?! Icon_minitimeFri 25 Sep 2009, 19:43

I would love to know what Phil Collins has done to deserve this scorn. Just a lot of people paying lip-service to a lot of ill-informed journalism in my opinion.

Chris de Burgh was always more deserving of the title "all that is bad about music", I think. Still, Don't Pay The Ferryman ain't a bad tune.
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Prog rock - Is it coming back?!   Prog rock  - Is it coming back?! Icon_minitimeSat 26 Sep 2009, 19:59

Guess the whole schick with Collins started when Genesis made that transistion through more-accessible prog post-Gabriel to pop. And as big selling as his solo stuff was, his creative credibility dipped with 'Easy Lover' with Philip Bailey and power ballad angst like 'Against All Odds'.

Back when they were released I thought his first couple of albums were good and probably still hold up in parts now. With 'Buster' & 'But Seriously', though, he was going way too commercial, mawkish and MOR. Another Day in Paradise got a huge panning in many quarters for being patronising and hypocritical, so it seems he never quite recovered any shreds of reputation until recently.

Fair play to him, but Collins' hip-hop following has to be the strangest clawing back of kudos seen for a long time. At least the Cadbury's promo link is easy to comprehend!
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Prog rock - Is it coming back?!   Prog rock  - Is it coming back?! Icon_minitimeSun 27 Sep 2009, 06:32

Genesis were my no. 1 favourite band in my teens (still love 'em, I'm just rooting it in history here Wink) but I've never been into Then There Were Three onwards which makes me think it's not just Phil Collins because I love Trick of the Tail (actually the first Genesis album I was introduced to) and Wind & Wuthering - while I personally really missed Peter Gabriel, it was when Steve Hackett left that the spirit of the band really changed (Peter Gabriel's and Steve Hackett's are the only Genesis members' solo work I like, too). I won't say the rest were bad (and from lots of comments elsewhere on here they're obviously not), just not for me - and I have tried, and tried relistening recently following comments people have made on here, but I just don't "get" it.

Back on topic (perhaps I should have resurrected the Genesis thread for the above), has anyone else head Yeasayer? I'm not sure if you'd call them prog really but there are elements of complexity in there, with kind of CSNY/Fleet Foxes harmony sound as well. I think they're wonderful.
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Prog rock - Is it coming back?!   Prog rock  - Is it coming back?! Icon_minitimeMon 16 Nov 2009, 14:12

On Finest Hour last night, the second hour featured some tracks including the mellotron. Guy's been talking to Craig and they are thinking of getting a mellotron simulator Prog rock  - Is it coming back?! Icon_cool
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Prog rock - Is it coming back?!   Prog rock  - Is it coming back?! Icon_minitimeSun 19 Dec 2010, 18:12

Merry Christmas

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prog rock - Is it coming back?!   Prog rock  - Is it coming back?! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Prog rock - Is it coming back?!
Page 1 of 1