elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Grand National

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Grand National Empty
PostSubject: Grand National   Grand National Icon_minitimeTue 01 Apr 2008, 20:16

Anybody going? I'll be there with the Mrs who is studying form all week...any tips will be placed here, but no promises Wink
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Male Number of posts : 2079

Grand National Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grand National   Grand National Icon_minitimeWed 02 Apr 2008, 10:54

Did you see that derren brown thing on the races? I think it was called "The System". It was OK, but i thought the outcome sucked a bit.
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Grand National Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grand National   Grand National Icon_minitimeSat 05 Apr 2008, 06:57

OK, here's the tips :

Dun Doire
Cloudy Lane
Comply or Die
Point Barrow
Bewleys Berry
Simon
Slim Pickings
D'Argent

Hard to narrow it down much more but any of those worth a punt I reckon.

Good luck! Look out for me on the telly!
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Grand National Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grand National   Grand National Icon_minitimeSat 05 Apr 2008, 11:07

lol, i'll try Wink
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Grand National Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grand National   Grand National Icon_minitimeSat 05 Apr 2008, 22:24

Thankfully we had some cash on Comply or Die and ended up 50 quid up on the National, 40 quid upon the day.

Bleedin taxis, beer and curry cost more than that though.
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Grand National Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grand National   Grand National Icon_minitimeSat 05 Apr 2008, 23:52

congrats!
Back to top Go down
russycarps
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Grand National Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grand National   Grand National Icon_minitimeTue 08 Apr 2008, 14:08

Barbaric race. Yet another horse died this year. I wouldnt dream of betting on it until the horses receive adequate protection, ie the fences are lowered.
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Grand National Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grand National   Grand National Icon_minitimeTue 08 Apr 2008, 14:24

Horses die in horse races all the time, all over the world, horse deaths are only noticed at the Grand National.
Back to top Go down
russycarps
fallen angel
fallen angel

Grand National Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grand National   Grand National Icon_minitimeTue 08 Apr 2008, 14:33

I'm sorry but how does that justify bettign on the Grand National?? Because horses die elsewhere it doesnt matter that they die in the grand national?? ANY horses (or any other animal) death for our pleasure is deplorable.

More horses die at the Grand National than any other in the UK. By far. The reason: the height of the fences. I live in the UK and don't know about other countries horse racing practices.

The race is undeniably barbaric and by betting on it you are prolonging it's existence in the current format.

Would you bet on fox hunting (if it were still legal)? ie how long it took before the fox took to die?
Back to top Go down
russycarps
fallen angel
fallen angel

Grand National Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grand National   Grand National Icon_minitimeTue 08 Apr 2008, 14:35

BTW I am new here and in no way am trying to antagonise you or cause a massive argument. I see this as healthy debate that's all. I am not personally attacking you (or anyone else).

Smile
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Grand National Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grand National   Grand National Icon_minitimeTue 08 Apr 2008, 14:47

russycarps wrote:
BTW I am new here and in no way am trying to antagonise you or cause a massive argument. I see this as healthy debate that's all. I am not personally attacking you (or anyone else).

Smile

Quite sensible given I am the admin and moderator Wink That's exactly what this section of the forum is for, and I appreciate you taking the time to join in and even raise debate.

Now, on to your points...

Nobody involved in horse racing will EVER tell you that they take ANY pleasure in the death of horses. That is NOT what the sport is about. It is a highly unfortunate side effect. Racehorses die for many reasons, not just the fences. McKelvey for example, who died at the National last Saturday, unseated his rider, then later collided with a barrier. Nothing to do with fences, or with being pushed too hard by his jockey, or a bad fall, just one of those sad things that happens.

Many improvements have been made to minimise deaths, such as Beecher's Brook which was altered dramatically in 1989.

The comparison that you make with fox hunting makes no sense whatsoever. People do not bet on how long it takes for a horse to die. Fox hunting is a sport that is ENTIRELY focussed on death...horse racing is about...you guessed it...racing.

If one day a group of people begin killing horses for pleasure and gambling, you can rest assured that I won't be a participant.
Back to top Go down
russycarps
fallen angel
fallen angel

Grand National Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grand National   Grand National Icon_minitimeTue 08 Apr 2008, 15:24

well I guess we can agree to disagree. Though it does sicken me when horses are put down just because they are lame, and therefore would be costly to look after and thus not financially viable to keep alive.

BTW in case you hadnt guessed I am a tree-hugging vegetarian type and, with your permission, would like to volunteer to become this boards "champion for animal rights" king

Off topic now, is this a relatively new board? I LOVE Elbow and it would be great to see this board a bit more lively. I will try my best to spread the word!
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Grand National Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grand National   Grand National Icon_minitimeTue 08 Apr 2008, 15:56

to be honest, the only thing to do to a horse when it is lame is to put it down, it would be cruel not to (im sure you will contest that Smile ). But I understand that less horses would be lame if there were less horse sports such as racing, polo etc

Last edited by dabamash on Tue 08 Apr 2008, 17:13; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

Grand National Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grand National   Grand National Icon_minitimeTue 08 Apr 2008, 17:12

If there were less "horse sports" then less horses would be born... which, from the horse's point of view, is probably a good thing.

(yep, I'm also a tree-hugging vegetarian type - as is Guy I think! Although I have two cats who eat meat, so I'm also a steaming great hypocrite - so sue me Smile )

Personally I don't agree with gambling anyway, not since I was in a Lottery syndicate with fixed numbers and our numbers came up on a Wednesday... we only did Saturdays Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Grand National Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grand National   Grand National Icon_minitimeTue 08 Apr 2008, 18:40

One quick correction would be that it the only thing to do with a lame RACE horse is to put it down, other horses would be fine for other things, but a racehorse is only good for racing.

And there was me thinking some lively debate would ensue, damn veggie hippie tree hugging liberals Wink
Back to top Go down
russycarps
fallen angel
fallen angel

Grand National Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grand National   Grand National Icon_minitimeTue 08 Apr 2008, 18:54

MagicalTrevor wrote:
One quick correction would be that it the only thing to do with a lame RACE horse is to put it down, other horses would be fine for other things, but a racehorse is only good for racing.

And there was me thinking some lively debate would ensue, damn veggie hippie tree hugging liberals Wink

*throws sprouts at yer head*

tongue
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Grand National Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grand National   Grand National Icon_minitimeTue 08 Apr 2008, 19:15

MagicalTrevor wrote:

Yer, I would agree with that. Still, as far as I see it, every sport has its risks, the only difference with horse racing is that the horses have no choice (and greyhound racing i suppose).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Grand National Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grand National   Grand National Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grand National
Page 1 of 1