elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Beatles

Go down 
+18
Lynne
Cestriansteve
Lesley Gilks
ticky
WOBLEwoble
ChrissyBoy
Topaz
bluefield
bluejayway
MagicalTrevor
TamedLamia
heshofcheese
Stockhaus
Mr_K
Grant
Hotblack
yesman
ChrissieInFL
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

The Beatles Empty
PostSubject: The Beatles   The Beatles Icon_minitimeWed 08 Apr 2009, 03:23

Wow, did we really never have a Beatles thread on here before now? Well, I guess we do now! The Beatles were the first rock band I ever knew and loved, and they are still awesome to listen to. I found this info really interesting and thought some of y'all might think so too:

THE BEATLES' ENTIRE ORIGINAL RECORDED CATALOGUE REMASTERED FOR RELEASE 09-09-097th April 2009

Apple Corps Ltd. and EMI Music are delighted to announce the release of the original Beatles catalogue, which has been digitally re-mastered for the first time, for worldwide CD release on Wednesday, September 9, 2009 (9-9-09), the same date as the release of the widely anticipated "The Beatles: Rock Band" video game. Each of the CDs is packaged with replicated original UK album art, including expanded booklets containing original and newly written liner notes and rare photos. For a limited period, each CD will also be embedded with a brief documentary film about the album. On the same date, two new Beatles boxed CD collections will also be released.

The albums have been re-mastered by a dedicated team of engineers at EMI's Abbey Road Studios in London over a four year period utilising state of the art recording technology alongside vintage studio equipment, carefully maintaining the authenticity and integrity of the original analogue recordings. The result of this painstaking process is the highest fidelity the catalogue has seen since its original release.

The collection comprises all 12 Beatles albums in stereo, with track listings and artwork as originally released in the UK, and 'Magical Mystery Tour,' which became part of The Beatles' core catalogue when the CDs were first released in 1987. In addition, the collections 'Past Masters Vol. I and II' are now combined as one title, for a total of 14 titles over 16 discs. This will mark the first time that the first four Beatles albums will be available in stereo in their entirety on compact disc. These 14 albums, along with a DVD collection of the documentaries, will also be available for purchase together in a stereo boxed set.

More info on this can be found here: http://www.beatles.com/core/news/
Back to top Go down
yesman
friend of ours
friend of ours
yesman

Male Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2009-03-24

The Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles Icon_minitimeWed 08 Apr 2009, 07:56

Simply the BEST !

Timeless music that set the standard in popular music but that has never been matched in terms of the sheer volume of brilliant songs produced.

Will have to start saving the pennies now if I am to purchase this mega- boxed set of their back catalogue.
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

The Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles Icon_minitimeWed 08 Apr 2009, 08:06

ChrissieInFL wrote:
I found this info really interesting and thought some of y'all might think so too:

[b]THE BEATLES' ENTIRE ORIGINAL RECORDED CATALOGUE REMASTERED FOR RELEASE 09-09-097th April 2009

Strange. I just heard that about 20 minutes ago on breakfast tv. I log on here and find the above. Smile

However much I like the Beatles I'm not buying them all over again. Mad Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

Male Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-08-31

The Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles Icon_minitimeWed 08 Apr 2009, 09:12

Am i the only one who doesn't think the beatles are that good, and are rather over-rated?
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

The Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles Icon_minitimeWed 08 Apr 2009, 09:22

Grant wrote:
Am i the only one who doesn't think the beatles are that good, and are rather over-rated?

You may not be the only one...........................but I think you are in a fairly exclusive club. Smile

And each to their own. You can't like everything. Smile

Personally I think the Lennon /McCartney partnership was astonishingly good. The construction and inventiveness of their songs is wonderful. Not everything they did was perfect. Who has ever done that? In fact some of it is downright atrocious, but on the whole it is IMHO excellent.
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

The Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles Icon_minitimeWed 08 Apr 2009, 11:42

Grant wrote:
Nope

In my younger days I used to be very anti-Beatles. They were too "establishment", part of the old musical world, part of the 60s fantasy that never really existed, no more influential than, say, Velvet Underground, etc etc etc...

I was very very wrong. A decade or so ago I got around to listening to, well pretty much anything they did from 1965 onwards, with an open ear and an open mind and it suddenly made sense, I could see what the adulation was all about. As yesman says, peerless & timeless.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

The Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles Icon_minitimeWed 08 Apr 2009, 14:30

Hotblack wrote:
However much I like the Beatles I'm not buying them all over again. Mad Very Happy

I know what you mean! My first thought when I saw this news was, "Oh yeah!" Then I thought about how much it was gonna cost me, and I sorta went, "Oh, noooo..." Not sure if I'll get these new releases or not but I really do think I'd enjoy hearing them, and watching the mini-documentaries on each album. I'd better start being good so maybe Santa will bring them for me this Christmas! Laughing

And Grant, I know a few people who just aren't into the Beatles, so you're not alone. But I don't see how they could be overrated, considering the influence they had on their own generation and the generations that have followed them - whether you like the music or not is one thing, but I think even if you don't, you've gotta acknowledge the imprint they've left on our popular culture. I feel the same way about Elvis...he does nothing for me whatsoever, but I realize that his impact on music was huge and earthshaking at the time, and that he still influences musicians today, so I won't buy his records but I'll give him his props. Like Hotblack said, you can't like everything!
Back to top Go down
Stockhaus
friend of ours
friend of ours
Stockhaus

Female Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-12-11

The Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles Icon_minitimeWed 08 Apr 2009, 20:12

i do love beatles. they are ace.
they are actually one of the few bands where i can say that one album is my favourite, and that is rubber soul. it's ace.
Back to top Go down
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

Male Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2008-08-11

The Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles Icon_minitimeFri 10 Apr 2009, 22:10

The Beatles invented the modern rock band.
Before them, bands didn't write their own songs, weren't expected to progress musically and they were arguably the first band to be not just backing musicians and one frontman. They wrote the rule book basically. And also tore it to pieces.
In my opinion, they were and continue to be, the most important musicians of the last century.
And they wrote sophisticated but catchy pop songs, the hardest stuff to write of all.
Back to top Go down
http://www.panicnow.bravehost.com/
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

The Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles Icon_minitimeSat 11 Apr 2009, 07:56

They influenced too much people to be overrated. I prefer their psychedelic stuff of the later years, their early stuff is a bit too harmless for my taste but then they were "dangerous", especially in East Germany where the so called goverment (more a regime) banned it until they noticed, that John Lennon was for the "working class" Rolling Eyes
Not sure if those folks knew "Revolution" because they might not have liked the line
"But if you go carrying pictures of chairman Mao
You ain't going to make it with anyone anyhow"

And what I really like about the Beatles is the way they mixed classic with rock. You might know that I usually don't like that mix that much but the Beatles did it in a very lovely way: "Eleanor Rigby", "She's leaving home", the one and only "Yesterday" and even the huge orchestrated "A Day in a Life"... Smile
And on the other hand they invented Heavy Metal when they did a parody of The Who with "Helter Skelter" lol! (really wonder why John Lennon called Paul McCartney a softie... confused )
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822

The Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles Icon_minitimeSat 11 Apr 2009, 10:37

While we're on the subject, many say they wrote the first Prog song, with "She's So Heavy". First time I heard it, I thought it was Pink Floyd until the singing started.
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

The Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles Icon_minitimeSat 11 Apr 2009, 12:02

MagicalTrevor wrote:
While we're on the subject, many say they wrote the first Prog song, with "She's So Heavy". First time I heard it, I thought it was Pink Floyd until the singing started.

Indeed. And also (for their sins!!) the first use of sampling/acid/rave/techno in Tomorrow Never Knows.
How far ahead of it's time was that song!
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857

The Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles Icon_minitimeSat 11 Apr 2009, 18:36

I think the whole "Abbey Road" is a bit early Floydian...I remember, when I heard "Sunking" first it reminded me very much on the first two Floyd records...and if I remember right it might not be sure who influenced who... What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

The Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles Icon_minitimeSat 11 Apr 2009, 19:37

TamedLamia wrote:
I think the whole "Abbey Road" is a bit early Floydian...I remember, when I heard "Sunking" first it reminded me very much on the first two Floyd records...and if I remember right it might not be sure who influenced who... What a Face

There's definitely bits of early Floyd in Sun King. Around 67/68 they were recording next door to each other in Abbey Road studios 1 & 2, so some "cross pollination" was always likely. I've seen Lennon interviews where he mentions visiting the Floyd in their studio to have a listen to what they were coming up with. He also was said to be disappointed with Piper because it wasn't as "far out" as their live set, blaming Norman Smith who had worked on early Beatles records.
Back to top Go down
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 471
Registration date : 2009-03-01

The Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles Icon_minitimeSun 12 Apr 2009, 22:05

My first love affair, so to speak, was with The Beatles. Their music educated me and opened my ears to some of the superb music I listen to today. Elbow is my second love affair with music, even though since 2004 I have heard and loved some great music, these two have really had an impact on me. My favourite Beatles' songs are the ones written by George (that weird?), and A Hard Days Night is one of my favourite films. Weirdly my name is my least favourite Beatles' song, I just have an obsession with birds and thought it sounded nice on the tongue, bit like Elbow.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

The Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles Icon_minitimeSun 12 Apr 2009, 23:55

heshofcheese wrote:
Indeed. And also (for their sins!!) the first use of sampling/acid/rave/techno in Tomorrow Never Knows. How far ahead of it's time was that song!

Agreed ! Always thought that song was something special...love the layers of sound when I listen on headphones.
Back to top Go down
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-06-30

The Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles Icon_minitimeMon 13 Apr 2009, 10:59

The Beatles including George Martin were sublime
Back to top Go down
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2008-04-08

The Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles Icon_minitimeMon 13 Apr 2009, 12:55

Groundbreaking, insanely cool, brilliant bunch of men they are/were. Love 'em.
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

The Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles Icon_minitimeMon 13 Apr 2009, 16:57

It's all been said already.....They have masses of great, groundbreaking stuff
Some of my favourite lyrics ever written, some of my favourite pop songs,

(There was some crap in there too lets be honest..! Shocked )
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Female Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-06

The Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr 2009, 15:01

Grew up with their music. It had to compete hard with 'soul' music. Being dance crazy the Beatles were good to relax too especially YESTERDAY and NORWEGIAN WOOD.
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

The Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr 2009, 16:29

The Beatles utterly sum up my childhood for me. My parents were total Beatles fans, so every album was bought and played constantly. When I was 4 or 5, my father bought me a ticket to see them in Cardiff, but my mother wouldn't let him take me - she thought I was too young. Words can't explain how that makes me feel............. Mad
Back to top Go down
Lesley Gilks
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-02-25

The Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles Icon_minitimeSat 18 Apr 2009, 13:31

My favourite Beatles album is "Revolver", but I must confess I like all their stuff.
Also love The Travelling Willburys Vol 1. Great sunny day music, designed to put a smile on your face.
Lesley
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Female Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-06

The Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles Icon_minitimeSat 18 Apr 2009, 15:35

Lesley Gilks wrote:
My favourite Beatles album is "Revolver", but I must confess I like all their stuff.
Also love The Travelling Willburys Vol 1. Great sunny day music, designed to put a smile on your face.
Lesley

Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

The Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 14:09

42nd anniversary of the release of "Sgt Pepper" today folks.

FORTY TWO YEARS AGO!

I actually heard Mrs K's baby sister (22 years old) listening to it the other week. When I passed comment, she just said that great songs are great songs, no matter when they were written. Can't argue with that!

One of the cultural "wonders of the world" perhaps (even though it is perhaps only my 4th favourite Beatles LP)?

Happy birthday Sgt Pepper!
Back to top Go down
Cestriansteve
friend of ours
friend of ours
Cestriansteve

Male Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2009-07-10

The Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jul 2009, 20:23

The Beatles - Who are they?
Back to top Go down