elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Eindhoven Concert (15/11/08)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
hagger
fallen angel
fallen angel

Male Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-11-15

Eindhoven Concert (15/11/08) Empty
PostSubject: Eindhoven Concert (15/11/08)   Eindhoven Concert (15/11/08) Icon_minitimeSun 16 Nov 2008, 12:18

Just to see if anyone else came to this concert, which I found rather special.

Firstly, Laura Marling was the opening act, which was absolutely incredible. Secondly, Guy was very interactive with audience. In addition to the normal banter, he had a question time halfway through the concert.

This was the third reason that it was so special. Lots of people asked for special songs, and by chance, almost none of them were going to be played that night. In particular, a lady asked if they were going to do switching off, and started crying when they said they weren't. No Guy sounded really sorry, and then moved on. After a couple more questions, the girl put up her hand again, and asked if she could have a hug! Guy then jumped off the stage and gave her a hug, to massive cheers! Very Happy Absolutely magical moment.

Also, the music was great. They played Newborn right after the questions, which was fantastic. They used those strobe lights which they had in starlings at the climax of the song flower .

Basically, it was great. Shame its the last one this year Crying or Very sad . A quick note though: anyone had the hug thing in other concerts with Guy? It made a very good impression on the crowd, and I thought it was great. Still, if everyone asked for it it could lose some magic. In this case, there was only one more question after this girl, a person asking for a hug too, which they duly got! It worked ok, but if more than 2 or 3 people asked it would get quite old.

EDIT: Just found this song from the concert on youtube. Funny intro Razz , but youtube doesn't convey the real wall of sound in that song. It must have been the loudest one in the concert! Plus the bass line is immense Smile
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Eindhoven Concert (15/11/08)   Eindhoven Concert (15/11/08) Icon_minitimeSun 16 Nov 2008, 13:57

Thanks for posting about Eindhoven hagger. I wasn't there but would have loved to have been... saving up to pay for next year.

What other songs were being asked for, out of interest? Was this during the question and answer or people shouting out in the gig?
They don't usually do song requests, so in the UK, only rarely do people ask during a gig.

Did they bring out 'Any Day Now?' they did that in Groningen apparently, but havn't been doing it on this tour.
what was the setlist please, and I can only find 'Leaders.... on youtube, is that the one you meant?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
hagger
fallen angel
fallen angel

Male Number of posts : 10

PostSubject: Re: Eindhoven Concert (15/11/08)   Eindhoven Concert (15/11/08) Icon_minitimeSun 16 Nov 2008, 20:42

The songs were asked during the question-answer period, and it wasn't really requests, more "are you going to play (blah)." Basically, they checked their list and said no, each time. The songs asked were George Lassoes the Moon, Switching Off and Powder Blue.

Initially there was only Leaders on Youtube, but there are a few more. One of Laura Marling, too, here, and that guy has a few more. The only full song so far is leaders.

Yeah, they did do Any Day Now, it was great! I can't remember the exact order, or indeed most of the songs. I'll try though.

Starlings
Bones of You
Mirrorball
Any Day Now
Leaders of the Free World
Mexican Standoff
Loneliness of a Tower Crane Driver
Perfect Weather To Fly

Questions

Newborn
Great Expectations
Some Riot
Station Approach

Like I said, I'm sure I missed some, and most of the order is probably wrong. Some Riot was the first song after the encore, and Station Approach was the last song overall. There was something inbetween them, but I can't remember what.
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Eindhoven Concert (15/11/08)   Eindhoven Concert (15/11/08) Icon_minitimeMon 17 Nov 2008, 13:15

Hey Hagger!
I was there a friend and I flew over from London...!
It was such a fabulous gig especially with Laura to warm us all up.
You should also check out Laura's drummers band Mumford and Sons they are great.
I really liked the venue and the banter was hysterical.
There were the boys from Brighton who arrived in Amsterdam and the trains went down so spent €200 getting a cab to Eindhoven. Guy asked us all to give them a couple of dollars if we saw them Laughing
LWD - Another request from the audience was Powder Blue which never got played but we did get Any Day Now!

Now how are we suppossed to cope until February!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
will2fly
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 4

PostSubject: Re: Eindhoven Concert (15/11/08)   Eindhoven Concert (15/11/08) Icon_minitimeTue 18 Nov 2008, 16:56

There was a Q & A interval in Groningen as well. With some real questions! Someone asked why Guy doesn't wear hats on stage anymore. He gave an honest answer, that at the end of gigs he'd throw the hat into the crowd, out of pure enthusiasm. As that cost him "50 pounds a pop" he stopped doing it.
I asked the second question: How is Richard's hand? (I'd seen the pics on the Moblog and his bandage in Haarlem) Guy said: How very kind of you to ask. Show them your hand, Richard. [cue spot on Richard, grinning] How's your hand? 'I'm alright' And then Guy explained: He hurt his hand opening a beer bottle, and now he's put his back out as well"

It was heart-warming that they were so open and made me sing along even louder!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eindhoven Concert (15/11/08)   Eindhoven Concert (15/11/08) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Eindhoven Concert (15/11/08)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: elbow patch-
Jump to: