elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Surround sound

Go down 
5 posters

How much do you want the Elbow albums in 5.1 Surround sound?
Very much!
Surround sound Vote_lcap29%Surround sound Vote_rcap
 29% [ 2 ]
Would be nice.
Surround sound Vote_lcap14%Surround sound Vote_rcap
 14% [ 1 ]
Not interested.
Surround sound Vote_lcap29%Surround sound Vote_rcap
 29% [ 2 ]
5.what?
Surround sound Vote_lcap28%Surround sound Vote_rcap
 28% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Surround sound Empty
PostSubject: Surround sound   Surround sound Icon_minitimeTue 10 Jun 2008, 14:48

Hi folks.

I was just thinking about how amazing the Elbow catalogue would sound if it were mixed in 5.1 surround. I have a few albums now that are in surround sound (Bjork, Super Furry Animals, Beatles - Love, Floyd and Genesis) and I think that some music suits it, some doesn't.

Elbow's music would, I think, suit it perfectly, but I know not everyone has got the 5.1 sound set-up, so I thought it would be interesting to gauge opinion.

Last edited by MagicalTrevor on Tue 10 Jun 2008, 22:34; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Male Number of posts : 2079

Surround sound Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surround sound   Surround sound Icon_minitimeTue 10 Jun 2008, 15:06

I don't have surroun, so, not interested, it would be nice for everybody else though,
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

Surround sound Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surround sound   Surround sound Icon_minitimeTue 10 Jun 2008, 15:58

I'm a bit clueless about surround sound - how would this be mixed - presumably somebody (Craig?) would have to "remix" the whole album to do this?

I listen to most of my music on headphones anyway, but for audio g33ks it'd be a good idea.
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Surround sound Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surround sound   Surround sound Icon_minitimeTue 10 Jun 2008, 16:06

Yeah it would be remixed from the masters, or mixed at the same time as the stereo mix. To be honest I was kind of disappointed that the DVD that came with LOTFW wasn't 5.1, but I guess these things can be expensive.
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Surround sound Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surround sound   Surround sound Icon_minitimeWed 11 Jun 2008, 18:45

I have a 5:1 stereo linked through SKY/DVD and use it mainly for films. Never reallly tried a 5:1 mixed music disc though.

How does it sound, is it all vocal through the centre speaker - like the audio in films, or does the mix still throw a vocal through the other main speakers ?

Does it sound detached at all, you know like when the sound seems isolated to one part of the room, or again is it just a balance of what the mix puts out to each speaker, kind of bass heavier to one set and strings or whatever lighter to another, or ????
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Surround sound Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surround sound   Surround sound Icon_minitimeWed 11 Jun 2008, 20:52

It's currently at a quite experimental stage I reckon. About 4 years ago people really did quite extreme things, like the Super Furry Animals mixes on Rings Around The World, one of which had the drums panning around the system like the drummer was running around the room with his kit!

I haven't heard stuff quite as odd as that since, the focus seems to be more on a natural sound. The vocal is often in the centre speaker (I'm sure Lee Spoons is glad of this as it makes getting hold of acapellas for mash ups a TON easier) and a traditional stereo mix with the two fronts, and ambient sounds, reverb, bvox etc. in the rears.

However, as always, there are no rules, so I would be fascinated to hear what a producer of Craig's quality could manage with this format.

I find that because some of the sounds come from different speakers, their isolation actually makes them clearer and more distinct, but still part of an overall sonic landscape. (Goodness me, I sound like a pretentious arse!)

Anyway, I love surround sound mixes, and gigs. SFA often did gigs in surround sound, Roger Waters did last time I saw him. It's the future, trust me!
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Male Number of posts : 2079

Surround sound Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surround sound   Surround sound Icon_minitimeWed 11 Jun 2008, 20:53

......sonic landscape.
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Male Number of posts : 891

Surround sound Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surround sound   Surround sound Icon_minitimeThu 12 Jun 2008, 14:27

Anyway, I used to have surround sound, till my system suddenly stopped functioning properly and now only works in stereo. So I'm not really interested - won't be buying a new sound system anytime soon.
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Surround sound Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surround sound   Surround sound Icon_minitimeThu 12 Jun 2008, 17:17

MagicalTrevor wrote:
I find that because some of the sounds come from different speakers, their isolation actually makes them clearer and more distinct, but still part of an overall sonic landscape....... It's the future, trust me!

I can see what you mean, i think. If you are sitting in the right place and have the sound set up properly on the speakers, (slight delay sometimes an issue with films till you tweak the set up) but the concept of being within the overall sounds i get. Maybe it won't end up specifically as 5:1 but in the future when we all have huger wall tv panels, you would think some evolution in the sound format could provide some kind of full circle/continuous speaker system you could channel sounds through different zones or something. (better patent that one just incase Idea Laughing )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Surround sound Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surround sound   Surround sound Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Surround sound
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: elbow patch-
Jump to: