elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

BEST OF 2014

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Wal59
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2014-04-19

BEST OF 2014 Empty
PostSubject: BEST OF 2014   BEST OF 2014 Icon_minitimeTue 23 Dec 2014, 18:03

I fully expected The Take Off to be among the top albums of the year. So far only disappointment from the lists I've seen - it didn't make the Uncut Top 75 or the Consequence of Sound Top 50 for instance. Anyone got thoughts on this? CoS has just published its Staff Lists for 2014 - only one writer has included Elbow, though it is No 1 album on his list and My Sad Captains is his top song. Check it out here - http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/12/staff-lists-top-10-albums-songs-films/full-post/ - and leave a comment if you agree with me. Cheers and Merry Christmas to the band and all Elbow fans!
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

BEST OF 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEST OF 2014   BEST OF 2014 Icon_minitimeMon 12 Jan 2015, 12:14

to be fair im not too surprised they didnt feature much. i think take off was written for themselves and not to please the press or appear in year end polls. i think also, what's hot at the moment isnt anywhere near the kinda sound elbow are producing...
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

BEST OF 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEST OF 2014   BEST OF 2014 Icon_minitimeTue 13 Jan 2015, 14:37

I never expected Elbow to do too well in the "Best of" lists here in the US, because as a general rule they're underappreciated here. I did think they'd get a better response in the UK, but I haven't seen anyone other than the Telegraph mentioning them in their list. I do agree with errant - the album didn't seem like a bid for approval from the critics, really. So I'm not too sure how much it even matters to the band, but I did really think it was one of the year's best.
Back to top Go down
Wal59
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2014-04-19

BEST OF 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEST OF 2014   BEST OF 2014 Icon_minitimeThu 05 Feb 2015, 18:03

I agree that Elbow are less appreciated in the US so maybe you're right, it was too much of an ask for Take Off to feature in year end lists there. But I'm still surprised about the UK music press. How much critical recognition like this matters to the band or its fans is a moot point. I just think the record deserved its place among the top however many albums of the year.
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

BEST OF 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEST OF 2014   BEST OF 2014 Icon_minitimeFri 06 Feb 2015, 10:18

Wal59 wrote:
I agree that Elbow are less appreciated in the US so maybe you're right, it was too much of an ask for Take Off to feature in year end lists there. But I'm still surprised about the UK music press. How much critical recognition like this matters to the band or its fans is a moot point. I just think the record deserved its place among the top however many albums of the year.

i think there's been a slight step-change in the music industry recently, look at ed sheeran selling out wembley for 3 nights as an example...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

BEST OF 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEST OF 2014   BEST OF 2014 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BEST OF 2014
Page 1 of 1