elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Cardiff

Go down 
+2
My Bury Vest
ticky
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Cardiff Empty
PostSubject: Cardiff   Cardiff Icon_minitimeWed 09 Apr 2014, 07:03

Saw the gig last night in Cardiff with no little amount of trepidation. After varying reports of an over mellow set list and lack of older material, I wasn't sure how good it was going to be. Naturally I was blown away, in fact even more so than usual. I was in my usual place - Potterside, right in the corner of the runway and stage, so perfectly positioned to see everything. In my opinion the set list is spot on - the majority of it being from the new album, lots from TSSK, their most successful and popular album, a few from BARB (all my favourites) and a gem in the shape of Great Expectations. It's impossible to please everyone and most people there got into Elbow after TSSK, so it makes sense to play from that.

What stands out for me is the quality of Guy's voice - it's changed immensely since the last tour. What's he done to improve it so? Is he gargling with mountain herbs picked by virgins or is he having vocal training? The latter I suspect! Whatever he's done - keep on doing it.

The stage lay out is great too. Usually, I don't see much of Jupp, but he's been brought forward. The strings and brass add a wonderfully rich layer to all the songs. It's a shame that the Elbow string quartet aren't there any more, but you have to move and change with the times. By the way, what happened to Wayne the roadie - I always managed to get a set list off him!?

I think the reason I enjoyed it so immensely last night was because I really threw myself into the whole experience - sang every song at the top of my voice, waved my arms when directed - sod it, I'll buy into that for a couple of hours. Also, I gave my daughter's spare ticket to one of my best friends, who, up until now, has been fairly dismissive of the band. Not any more! We have one more convert! She NEEDS every album right NOW!

Jimi Goodwin was excellent - great to hear a couple of Doves songs too.

All in all - that ranks as one of my favourite Elbow gigs - I've come away with an aching face from smiling and an urge to see them again very soon.

Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Cardiff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cardiff   Cardiff Icon_minitimeWed 09 Apr 2014, 07:28

Superb stuff Ticky - sounds like a wonderful night was had - to me, there is nothing like being at a momentous gig (well, when Man City won the league tops everything) - the feelings, emotions, getting totally lost in the music and losing that self consciousness (that most of us have in buckets, a few pints help, granted) to, as you say, throw yourself into it.

Have to say, that on TTOALOE, Guy's voice sounded wonderful, without doubt it's improved immeasurably over the years, after listening to AITB yesterday, I can say that with confidence. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Cardiff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cardiff   Cardiff Icon_minitimeWed 09 Apr 2014, 11:20

Awesome write-up Ticky! I was waiting to hear your report and I am not disappointed! Sounds like you had a ball - wish I could have been there with ya again. Smile
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Cardiff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cardiff   Cardiff Icon_minitimeWed 09 Apr 2014, 12:37

Thanks for the review, Ticky!
So happy you had a great time!  Smile 
Back to top Go down
Kayleigh
little beast
little beast
Kayleigh

Female Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2010-10-06

Cardiff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cardiff   Cardiff Icon_minitimeWed 09 Apr 2014, 12:45

I was at the show last night. It was only my second time seeing them live, the first being last year, same place in Cardiff. I took my youngest sister with me who's 17, she loved it and couldn't believe how amazing they were live. I enjoyed this years show more than last years, i have to agree as well that Guy's voice sounded a lot better this year.

My favourite part of the show was grounds for divorce. Guy's banter with the crowd was great. I loved the giant balls at the end being thrown around, though the security in front of me didn't look to pleased haha anyways 10/10 for me, cant wait for next years show.

Oh one thing i missed was station approach as they didn't play it this year but i heard it last year live so cant moan too much ☺️
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Cardiff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cardiff   Cardiff Icon_minitimeThu 10 Apr 2014, 07:54

Awww Chrissie - I wish you could have been there too! I ended up standing next to exactly the same people we stood next to in the queue last time in Cardiff. I think it could be the start of a beautiful friendship!
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Cardiff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cardiff   Cardiff Icon_minitimeThu 10 Apr 2014, 17:35

Glad to heear you and others have enjoyed the shows so much. Very Happy 
sadly couldn't get along to glasgow last week - would have been awesome from what I'm hearing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cardiff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cardiff   Cardiff Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cardiff
Page 1 of 1