elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How do they do it?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bobmc
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-01-25

How do they do it?  Empty
PostSubject: How do they do it?    How do they do it?  Icon_minitimeWed 01 Feb 2012, 16:55

Any insight to whether any of the boys are 'trained'? As a musical hack, I have yet to listen to any of the albums and not marvel at the arrangements, harmonies, etc.

I have been reading some articles online, but most of the 'print' I find is dedicated to wherever album/tour/award was current at time of interview, not playing, arranging etc.
Back to top Go down
emma
friend of ours
friend of ours
emma

Female Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: How do they do it?    How do they do it?  Icon_minitimeFri 03 Feb 2012, 01:55

As far as I know, they're all self-taught musicians. Guy used to say in interviews that they're not "proper" musicians (i.e. musically trained), but I don't think they would say that now with what they've achieved! From an earlier interview, Guy definitely said that they couldn't read music anyway. Pretty impressive I have to say!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2226544041
bobmc
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-01-25

PostSubject: Re: How do they do it?    How do they do it?  Icon_minitimeFri 03 Feb 2012, 15:15

Emma

So they continue to amaze me. Unsure of what is on the radio in Canada, but the stuff here has barely risen above the 3 or 4 chords that started rock music 5 decades ago. No harmonic development, no dynamics and lyrics written by teenage boys it seems.

Bob (father of 5YO Emma who thinks Forget Myself is the best dance tune ever)
Back to top Go down
emma
friend of ours
friend of ours
emma

Female Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: How do they do it?    How do they do it?  Icon_minitimeSat 04 Feb 2012, 14:30

To be honest, I rarely listen to the radio, and when I do I listen to BBC radio online! Overall I definitely prefer the UK music scene. And when I have children someday I hope they are little Elbow fans too Smile otherwise they'll just have to put up with hearing it all the time!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2226544041
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do they do it?    How do they do it?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do they do it?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: elbow music-
Jump to: