elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

SYD MATTERS

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
The DaddyO 44
fallen angel
fallen angel
The DaddyO 44

Male Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2011-04-07

SYD MATTERS Empty
PostSubject: SYD MATTERS   SYD MATTERS Icon_minitimeWed 11 Jan 2012, 11:54

Can't believe how few people have heard of this superb French band (don't panic - they sing in English).
For those who don't know; they make low-key but very melodic acoustic-based pop/rock. I can hear Nick Drake, Air, Radiohead, Midlake, Beta Band, Cohen......
They've made four albums, the last three of which are quite brilliant: fantastic tunes, laid back vocals/harmonies, and intricate song structures going much further than the usual verse-chorus-verse thing. Don't think they've played in the UK for some time, but I must catch them soon!
Anyone else here a fan???? .....there must be someone!!??? cyclops
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

SYD MATTERS Empty
PostSubject: Re: SYD MATTERS   SYD MATTERS Icon_minitimeThu 12 Jan 2012, 18:49

I've never heard of Syd Matters, but your description is intriguing so I'll see what I can find to listen to online. Sounds like it could be interesting!
Back to top Go down
The DaddyO 44
fallen angel
fallen angel
The DaddyO 44

Male Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2011-04-07

SYD MATTERS Empty
PostSubject: Re: SYD MATTERS   SYD MATTERS Icon_minitimeThu 12 Jan 2012, 22:37

ChrissieInFL wrote:
I've never heard of Syd Matters, but your description is intriguing so I'll see what I can find to listen to online. Sounds like it could be interesting!

Yes please do!! And post yourthoughts. If you're Youtubing try 'River Sister', 'Ill Jackson', and 'I Might Float' for starters Arrow
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

SYD MATTERS Empty
PostSubject: Re: SYD MATTERS   SYD MATTERS Icon_minitimeWed 25 Jan 2012, 20:22

Well, I finally went to listen to a little bit of this band the other day. I did try River Sister and I heard the Nick Drake-ish sort of thing you mentioned, at least in some of the music. The vocals, I thought, reminded me of someone but I'm not sure who... Sea Change-era Beck, perhaps? Also started clicking on other random videos and heard one called Black & White Eyes and another called Obstacles, which was nice. I liked what I heard, so thanks for the suggestion! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

SYD MATTERS Empty
PostSubject: Re: SYD MATTERS   SYD MATTERS Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SYD MATTERS
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: other bands-
Jump to: