elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Madrid 29th Nov 2011

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
albutch
newborn
newborn
albutch

Male Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-08-05

Madrid 29th Nov 2011 Empty
PostSubject: Madrid 29th Nov 2011   Madrid 29th Nov 2011 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Nov 2011, 14:59

A great weekend in Madrid - I love that city!

We arrived at the venue with a couple of hours to spare as we still needed to collect tickets. There were quite a few people sitting on the steps to the arena and as we got near enough we could hear lots of English being spoken - we were not alone! As the box office was not yet open, we decided to get the refreshments in at a small bar across the street, over the next 30 mins the bar was filled with Brits! A big hello to all the lovely people we met there!

The Howling Bells, an Australian four piece band, were supporting and they we really enjoyed their short set, from the various tweets back and forth they obviously enjoyed the company of the band.

It must have been just after 9 local time when Elbow took to the stage to a great reception, I hadn't noticed up to that point just how much the venue had filled up. That's how it seems to work in Spain, they never rush early into anything.

By the end of the opening number, The Birds, tears were rolling down my cheeks, looking around I wasn't the only either. After many years appreciating the band, this was the first chance I've had to see them live and to say I was moved is an understatement.

I won't go on to list the whole set as a) I can't remember and b) you probably know or can guess anyhow. Stand outs for me were Neat Little Rows, Station Approach... er all of the songs really. Every one was my favourite. That's how it is with Elbow.

Guy enlisted the help of a Spanish lass to translate as he explained the story behind Puncture Repair but I think she may have been mis-translating for comic effect judging by the reaction of the Spanish crowd. He finally sacked her when she couldn't manage 'cuppatea'.

The only disappointing moment of the evening was when a group of over exuberant football fans from Manchester started to get out of hand, Mr Garvey used amazing crowd control ( "SHUT THE F**K UP" ) and when he explained that the band had discussed it many times and that they "Don't like football anyway" they fell silent for the remainder - hoorah!

All too soon it was over, the last notes of One Day faded and the lads were waving goodbye. Wished we had been going on to Barcelona for another helping, we'll have to wait until they next get to Glasgow or Aberdeen.

Amazing!

A few photos:

The Howling Bells

Madrid 29th Nov 2011 HowlingBells

"Hello Madrid!"

Madrid 29th Nov 2011 1

Someone's not clapping

Madrid 29th Nov 2011 2

Madrid 29th Nov 2011 3

Seldom....

Madrid 29th Nov 2011 4

...seen

Madrid 29th Nov 2011 5

The River

Madrid 29th Nov 2011 6

Talking to his interpretor

Madrid 29th Nov 2011 7

"Let me see your hands"

Madrid 29th Nov 2011 8

"Starlings"

Madrid 29th Nov 2011 9

Goodbye Sad but Smile

Madrid 29th Nov 2011 10
Back to top Go down
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Madrid 29th Nov 2011   Madrid 29th Nov 2011 Icon_minitimeWed 23 Nov 2011, 11:21

Can't really add much to that really.

Again an amazing night, I think of all the times we seen them including St Pauls this just about topped it. Great venue, great crowd, fab weekend. We were a couple of rows from the front, got a point and a smile, swooon. What a birthday weekend!

Not even the "Manchester, la la la" mob couldn't spoil it!!

Roll on the next time....... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
v5
newborn
newborn

Male Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Madrid 29th Nov 2011   Madrid 29th Nov 2011 Icon_minitimeWed 23 Nov 2011, 15:38

Top show!
after seeing them twice in a big venue it's nice to see them in front of a smaller crowd. this weekend i didn't really connect with any madrilin(?) untill i sangalong on the birds and open arms with 2 spanish fans.
great show!
thanx for the pics
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Madrid 29th Nov 2011   Madrid 29th Nov 2011 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Madrid 29th Nov 2011
Page 1 of 1