elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp (Belgium)

Go down 
+8
Jones
Audrey
Mr Woman
ticky
emma
helen
Open arms
Nancy
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Nancy
fallen angel
fallen angel

Female Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-06-18

Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp  (Belgium) Empty
PostSubject: Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp (Belgium)   Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp  (Belgium) Icon_minitimeMon 07 Nov 2011, 16:31

What a great weekend!

The crowd was a bit more enthusiastic in Brussels then in Antwerp, during 'One Day Like This' everyone was swaying their arms, even people sitting on the balcony. I've been to a lot of concerts in my life but I haven't witnessed something like that often. It was beautiful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QieEAmkGTJ0&feature=related
At one point in the show Guy was joking: 'the spirit of Jim Kerr has entered me'. Very Happy I don't think a band like Elbow needs these kind of tricks but on the other hand it did work and there was a great atmosphere. And of course there was the usual banter in between songs which was fun.

They had a drink at their 20th anniversary: “To the days when I was skinny and Richard had long hair”. "Too bad the first 10 years we were shit"
One of the highlights for me was 'The Night Will Always Win'. Also very nice to hear 'The River' and 'Dear Friends', which I hadn't heard before. A pity they didn't play more old(er) songs though, 'Station Approach' was fantastic. I think most of the audience only knows their two last albums, but that should not stop them playing some old stuff too I think. Not surprisingly 'Lippy Kids' got a big (deserved) applause, it was a big hit in Belgium in the single-charts (in the Rock Werchter live version).

Both shows were amazing, I had a fantastic time.

The Birds
The Bones of You
Mirrorball
Neat Little Rows
Grounds for Divorce
The Loneliness of a Tower Crane Driver
The Night Will Always Win
The River
Some Riot
Dear Friends
Lippy Kids
Weather to Fly
Open Arms

Encore:
Starlings
Station Approach
One Day Like This

Last edited by Nancy on Mon 07 Nov 2011, 19:32; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Open arms
little beast
little beast
Open arms

Female Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2011-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp (Belgium)   Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp  (Belgium) Icon_minitimeMon 07 Nov 2011, 16:37

Hello Nancy, good to hear you had a good time !
I agree with you that they should play old songs more often, it's good to know they played station approach for exemple.

Does someone know if they keep the same playlist for all their gig for this tour ?
Back to top Go down
http://simpsonvips.canalblog.com/
helen
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp (Belgium)   Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp  (Belgium) Icon_minitimeMon 07 Nov 2011, 19:58

flower we came over from the UK to see this concert- thought it was fab! would have been nice to hear older stuff but as usaul the band produced a highly amusing and totally absorbing 1 1/2 hours of fab music- thought provoking lyrics and wonderful drumming, piano and guitar not to forget the trumpets¬!!

the string quartet was stunning - again- as usual!

having seen the Sheffield concert in March- the playlist is very similar with a couple of variations only.
Back to top Go down
Nancy
fallen angel
fallen angel

Female Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp (Belgium)   Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp  (Belgium) Icon_minitimeMon 07 Nov 2011, 20:21

helen wrote:

the string quartet was stunning - again- as usual!

Yeah, I was there really early and the string quartet played some Elbow songs as suport-suport act, also older Elbow songs. That was beautiful. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
emma
friend of ours
friend of ours
emma

Female Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp (Belgium)   Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp  (Belgium) Icon_minitimeTue 08 Nov 2011, 01:22

Sounds like it was a really great concert Smile ! It's nice to hear that the setlist has been changed slightly for their European tour and that you got to hear some other new songs. I would absolutely love to hear Dear Friends live so I hope it stays on the setlist for a while!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2226544041
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp (Belgium)   Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp  (Belgium) Icon_minitimeTue 08 Nov 2011, 08:42

We haven't heard from Mr and Mrs Woman - did you both enjoy the gig?
Back to top Go down
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp (Belgium)   Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp  (Belgium) Icon_minitimeTue 08 Nov 2011, 10:27

Hi Ticky. Of course it was excellent and we had a fantastic weekend! A bit tired after our whistle-stop visit to the continent - 5 hours sleep on Friday, followed by a 21 hour day on Saturday, followed by another 5 hour sleep and eventually getting back home at 10.00pm on Sunday night: A bit hectic for my advancing years, but *absolutely* well worth it Very Happy . Loved it.

Nancy summed up the evening beautifully, so not much to add with regard to the set and how it went down. Will have to check out the YouTube footage (should be easy to pick out the light reflecting off my the top of my head LOL). We were right at the barrier, Potter-side; Sang ourselves into oblivion.

My poor throat is completely shot now and I have a slightly bereft feeling because it's over and we may have to wait some time now before we get to see them again.

Back to top Go down
Audrey
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp (Belgium)   Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp  (Belgium) Icon_minitimeTue 08 Nov 2011, 11:20

Thanks for your reviews on this concert ! I watched some links through youtube... well, it seems really fantastic ! I wished to be there...
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp (Belgium)   Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp  (Belgium) Icon_minitimeWed 09 Nov 2011, 18:10

Well, had a bit of a lucky break (thank you tax-man and Elbow-gods!) and treated myself to a Brussels trip! Thumbs Up!
The gig was fantastic - the boys looked like they were really enjoying themselves!
Favourite moment:
M... (he shall remain unnamed...) making a serious booboo during "The Night Will Always Win" - the lads falling around laughing,
(especially Pete!) and Guy desperately trying to hold it together and not quite managing it...
lol!
Fab night, fab gig and a fab time was had with Mr+MrsW!
It really is so much more fun when you're with other Elboholics!
Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp (Belgium)   Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp  (Belgium) Icon_minitimeWed 09 Nov 2011, 23:47

Not much left for me to add; it really was an excellent gig, with the best of company too. Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp  (Belgium) 685959
It was *that* good, I ended up singing & shouting myself hoarse as well!

So seeing as I've been a lazy sod for not posting much, here's some photos: *plays interlude music*

Brussels gig set
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
Audrey
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp (Belgium)   Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp  (Belgium) Icon_minitimeThu 10 Nov 2011, 07:35

Great pics ! Thumbs Up! Thanks !
Back to top Go down
Cestriansteve
friend of ours
friend of ours
Cestriansteve

Male Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2009-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp (Belgium)   Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp  (Belgium) Icon_minitimeFri 11 Nov 2011, 16:48

I had a great time in Belgium. The shows were fantastic. Lovely to see Jones & Mr & Mrs W at the front of the Brussels gig. We had a great spec despite the attempts of some rude Belgian woman who did her best to steal our position.
I have to say I'll be planning more elbow shows on the continent as the venue's are a bit smaller than the Arena's that they tend play in the UK these days.
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

Female Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp (Belgium)   Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp  (Belgium) Icon_minitimeTue 15 Nov 2011, 09:20

I'm just catching up with some of the posts on here. Would LOVE to go to some gigs abroad with some of you lot, it would be a blast. Smile Perhaps next tour... Glad you all had a great time!
Back to top Go down
Carl0sAlbert0
fallen angel
fallen angel
Carl0sAlbert0

Male Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2012-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp (Belgium)   Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp  (Belgium) Icon_minitimeSun 08 Jul 2012, 20:07

Guy kissed my girlfriend's hand during Station Approach. She still gets giddy thinking about that now. Amazing gig.

This is the video for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPEJ1gYlqmE
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp (Belgium)   Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp  (Belgium) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Elbow - Vorst Nationaal Brussels & Lotto Arena Antwerp (Belgium)
Page 1 of 1