elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Zero objectivity??

Go down 
+5
TamedLamia
lucky with disease
My Bury Vest
Jones
baby.giraffe
9 posters
AuthorMessage
baby.giraffe
newborn
newborn
baby.giraffe

Female Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-08-20

Zero objectivity?? Empty
PostSubject: Zero objectivity??   Zero objectivity?? Icon_minitimeFri 02 Sep 2011, 22:25

I've recently been talking Elbow a lot with a friend of mine. He's got the last 2 albums and loves them. He asked for recommendations as to what else to get / to get next and all I could think to say was "er well just get the first 3 too"! Seemed like a no brainer to me! Though no help to him and pretty much shows I have zero objectivity over these things! Smile

What should I have said? What would you say?

I'm worried now that Guy could sing his shopping list at me and I'd pretty much be impressed!
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Zero objectivity?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zero objectivity??   Zero objectivity?? Icon_minitimeMon 05 Sep 2011, 14:57

I always recommended to Newbies to work their way back.
The general consensus seems to be that their sound became more "accessible" with each album, so I would tell him to get 'Leaders' next, then 'Cast', then 'Asleep'.
Of course this is just my own opinion but that's the way I would do it anyway...
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Zero objectivity?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zero objectivity??   Zero objectivity?? Icon_minitimeMon 05 Sep 2011, 16:44

Jones wrote:
The general consensus seems to be that their sound became more "accessible" with each album, so I would tell him to get 'Leaders' next, then 'Cast', then 'Asleep'.
Of course this is just my own opinion but that's the way I would do it anyway...

Yeah, I'd agree with that hands down - or play them 'Vum Garda' and watch them scarper !
Back to top Go down
baby.giraffe
newborn
newborn
baby.giraffe

Female Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-08-20

Zero objectivity?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zero objectivity??   Zero objectivity?? Icon_minitimeMon 05 Sep 2011, 23:34

Thats a pretty good idea!

Most of the songs I was recommending to them were off "Leaders" & "Cast". It just scared me a bit that I couldn't just plump for which one!

It got me thinking...I can only think of one or two songs I'd call least favourites.
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Zero objectivity?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zero objectivity??   Zero objectivity?? Icon_minitimeTue 06 Sep 2011, 18:41

[quote="
- or play them 'Vum Garda' and watch them scarper ![/quote]

Haha! Yep, that one's for the veterans only! Razz
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

Zero objectivity?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zero objectivity??   Zero objectivity?? Icon_minitimeThu 08 Sep 2011, 08:39

Jones wrote:
[quote="
- or play them 'Vum Garda' and watch them scarper !

Haha! Yep, that one's for the veterans only! Razz [/quote]

Which is a shame if that truly is where it is now.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Zero objectivity?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zero objectivity??   Zero objectivity?? Icon_minitimeThu 08 Sep 2011, 08:53

My Bury Vest wrote:
or play them 'Vum Garda' and watch them scarper !
Jones wrote:
Haha! Yep, that one's for the veterans only! Razz
lucky with disease wrote:
Which is a shame if that truly is where it is now.

Well, an 8-minute one chord wonder isn't everyones cup of tea Wink

One method of checking which record could fit best might be to check the fave songs of your friend, the more singalong style ones like One Day or Open Arms or the slightly proggie tracks like The Birds. The proggier the earlier... What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Zero objectivity?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zero objectivity??   Zero objectivity?? Icon_minitimeTue 13 Sep 2011, 20:07

My Bury Vest wrote:
Jones wrote:

Yeah, I'd agree with that hands down - or play them 'Vum Garda' and watch them scarper !
Daddy's in control.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
JessieAddick
little beast
little beast
JessieAddick

Female Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2011-08-28

Zero objectivity?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zero objectivity??   Zero objectivity?? Icon_minitimeFri 16 Sep 2011, 14:12

TamedLamia wrote:

One method of checking which record could fit best might be to check the fave songs of your friend, the more singalong style ones like One Day or Open Arms or the slightly proggie tracks like The Birds. The proggier the earlier... What a Face
My thoughts exactly.It all depends on what kind of music you like more.To be honest I quite like a bit of prog rock and experimental music so I loved Vum Garda on first listen.I fell in love with their debut album very quickly but COT and Leaders two took me quite a few listens to like,especially Leaders...
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/jessieron
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

Female Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2011-02-03

Zero objectivity?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zero objectivity??   Zero objectivity?? Icon_minitimeMon 10 Oct 2011, 02:12

Jones wrote:

I feel it's like that with a lot of bands, honestly.
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Zero objectivity?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zero objectivity??   Zero objectivity?? Icon_minitimeMon 31 Oct 2011, 23:35

jessieron wrote:
TamedLamia wrote:

My thoughts exactly.It all depends on what kind of music you like more.To be honest I quite like a bit of prog rock and experimental music so I loved Vum Garda on first listen.I fell in love with their debut album very quickly but COT and Leaders two took me quite a few listens to like,especially Leaders...

that's more a time and a place thing though... we all fell in love with differnet albums for probably different reasons... i'd send them straight to newborn, but then that was the song that hit me like a truck within 20 seconds of hearing it...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Zero objectivity?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zero objectivity??   Zero objectivity?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Zero objectivity??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: elbow patch-
Jump to: