elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

RE: One Day Like This / Hey Jude

Go down 
+6
ChrissieInFL
leespoons
Kayleigh
Lesley Gilks
mrswoman
The DaddyO 44
10 posters
AuthorMessage
The DaddyO 44
fallen angel
fallen angel
The DaddyO 44

Male Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2011-04-07

RE: One Day Like This / Hey Jude Empty
PostSubject: RE: One Day Like This / Hey Jude   RE: One Day Like This / Hey Jude Icon_minitimeThu 07 Apr 2011, 20:14

Does anyone else find themselves humming the 'naa naa naa na-na-na naaa' bit from The Beatles' "Hey Jude" over 'throw your curtains wide....etc'???? Question
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: RE: One Day Like This / Hey Jude   RE: One Day Like This / Hey Jude Icon_minitimeThu 07 Apr 2011, 20:16

It's been mentioned on occasional YouTube comments, but not much here... What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
Lesley Gilks
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: RE: One Day Like This / Hey Jude   RE: One Day Like This / Hey Jude Icon_minitimeThu 07 Apr 2011, 21:14

No, I just keep humming Na Na na nana na na nana na na, Adrian Jones!
Back to top Go down
The DaddyO 44
fallen angel
fallen angel
The DaddyO 44

Male Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2011-04-07

PostSubject: Re: RE: One Day Like This / Hey Jude   RE: One Day Like This / Hey Jude Icon_minitimeThu 07 Apr 2011, 21:36

But what about My Chemical Romance's 'naa na na naa na na naa, n-n-nna na na na, naa na na naa.......'
Back to top Go down
Kayleigh
little beast
little beast
Kayleigh

Female Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2010-10-06

PostSubject: Re: RE: One Day Like This / Hey Jude   RE: One Day Like This / Hey Jude Icon_minitimeFri 08 Apr 2011, 04:59

Lesley Gilks wrote:

lmao Laughing
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: RE: One Day Like This / Hey Jude   RE: One Day Like This / Hey Jude Icon_minitimeFri 08 Apr 2011, 11:44

The DaddyO 44 wrote:
Does anyone else find themselves humming the 'naa naa naa na-na-na naaa' bit from The Beatles' "Hey Jude" over 'throw your curtains wide....etc'???? Question

yep. See also Primal Scream - Loaded, Rolling Stones - Sympathy For The Devil, Gorillaz 19-2000, etc.

I tried to do a mashup of Hey Jude and ODLT once (they're both in F major 7th) but it didn't quite work...
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: RE: One Day Like This / Hey Jude   RE: One Day Like This / Hey Jude Icon_minitimeFri 08 Apr 2011, 12:08

The DaddyO 44 wrote:

Yup, and my kid does, too. I blame Peter Kay.

Lesley Gilks wrote:

lol!
Back to top Go down
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: RE: One Day Like This / Hey Jude   RE: One Day Like This / Hey Jude Icon_minitimeFri 08 Apr 2011, 12:43

Lots of songs have similar chord progressions to other songs to the point where it's hardly worth mentioning unless there is blatant theft of both chord progression AND melodic hook (it's this combination that tends to get the plagiarism lawyers interested).

Being able to hum the melody of one song over the chords of another, although amusing, is actually quite easy: Lee Spoons has identified several songs that follow the Hey Jude chords.

On the other hand, Oasis were a bit too obvious with their song 'Whatever', elements of which were *ahem* 'borrowed' quite heavily from the Neil Innes/Rutles Beatles pastiche 'How Sweet To Be An Idiot' to the point where royalties were required to be paid.

Another example of a heavily utilised chord progression is the "C Am F G" template; Australian comedy group Axis of Awesome demonstrate this quite neatly with their parody, Four Chord Song

EDIT: I meant 'How Sweet To Be An Idiot' not 'Cheese and Onion'. Duh!

Last edited by Mr Woman on Fri 08 Apr 2011, 17:17; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: RE: One Day Like This / Hey Jude   RE: One Day Like This / Hey Jude Icon_minitimeFri 08 Apr 2011, 15:31

good shout - Axis of Awesome - I'd forgot about the four chord song Laughing
Back to top Go down
Lesley Gilks
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: RE: One Day Like This / Hey Jude   RE: One Day Like This / Hey Jude Icon_minitimeSun 10 Apr 2011, 07:36

Mr Woman, very neatly put. I wanted to make the same observation but didn't know how to put it across.
There are so many songs, stories, paintings etc it is very difficult to come with anything that is truly original. I can't remember who said it first but there are only so many plots for films, books and all will fall into one or two categories. Historical, comedy, tragedy etc.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: RE: One Day Like This / Hey Jude   RE: One Day Like This / Hey Jude Icon_minitimeMon 11 Apr 2011, 16:43

Yeah, this is now a chronic issue...

Took my kid to see the Beatlemania tribute show this past Saturday night. During Hey Jude, right on cue, she starts with the whole "Throw those curtains wide" thing, and when I look over at her, she tells me, "I'm doing the Elbow version, mom!" So there ya go, we have an Elbow version of Hey Jude now, according to the unquestionable authority of my 10-year-old daughter. Laughing
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: RE: One Day Like This / Hey Jude   RE: One Day Like This / Hey Jude Icon_minitimeTue 12 Apr 2011, 11:25

Mr Woman wrote:
Another example of a heavily utilised chord progression is the "C Am F G" template; Australian comedy group Axis of Awesome demonstrate this quite neatly with their parody, Four Chord Song

yeah saw that a while ago, clever stuff... although personally I'd be happy if I never heard a song with the four chords C Am F G in any order ever again. It's the musical equivalent of magnolia paint. Bo-ring!
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857

PostSubject: Re: RE: One Day Like This / Hey Jude   RE: One Day Like This / Hey Jude Icon_minitimeTue 12 Apr 2011, 18:54

ChrissieInFL wrote:
Yeah, this is now a chronic issue...

Took my kid to see the Beatlemania tribute show this past Saturday night. During Hey Jude, right on cue, she starts with the whole "Throw those curtains wide" thing, and when I look over at her, she tells me, "I'm doing the Elbow version, mom!" So there ya go, we have an Elbow version of Hey Jude now, according to the unquestionable authority of my 10-year-old daughter. Laughing

Very Happy That's cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: RE: One Day Like This / Hey Jude   RE: One Day Like This / Hey Jude Icon_minitimeSat 16 Apr 2011, 06:58

The DaddyO 44 wrote:

All I can say is, glad I'm not the only one. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RE: One Day Like This / Hey Jude   RE: One Day Like This / Hey Jude Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RE: One Day Like This / Hey Jude
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: elbow music-
Jump to: