elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Guilty Pleasures

Go down 
+29
Mr_K
TamedLamia
Lynne
My Bury Vest
Mollyb
redliz2
Stockhaus
WOBLEwoble
ticky
sundaygirl
Leo
Emma G
Grant
Misspelt Yoof
fadeupyoursmile
al
Jones
bluefield
Hoggy
Skeletor
Jonny
Topaz
ChrissyBoy
ChrissieInFL
Glendarian
Carah
Calum
leespoons
Hotblack
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Guilty Pleasures - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures   Guilty Pleasures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 27 Aug 2009, 09:20

Linkin park...
Back to top Go down
Mollyb
fallen angel
fallen angel
Mollyb

Female Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures   Guilty Pleasures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 27 Aug 2009, 09:21

Nice...... They're not the worst.
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures   Guilty Pleasures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 27 Aug 2009, 09:32

Ooh, there's loads... mostly cheesy 80s bands like Level 42 and Curiosity Killed The Cat.

I used to love Jamiroquai when I was about 19, but now I can't listen to him bleating on about how we're killing the planet, maaaan, without thinking of his car collection.
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures   Guilty Pleasures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 27 Aug 2009, 09:36

oh, and I liked that song about washing up by Alesha Dixon that sounded a bit like Mambo No. 5 Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Mollyb
fallen angel
fallen angel
Mollyb

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures   Guilty Pleasures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 27 Aug 2009, 09:38

Bahhahahahaha.
'Wash Up, he doesn't wash up, clean up, he never cleans up.........'

Laughing Very shameful.
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures   Guilty Pleasures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 27 Aug 2009, 09:44

'He does nothing, the boy does nothing !'

Yep, a guilty pleasure indeed.

Also, back to my very youthful days, Alexander O'Neal and maybe a smidgen of Luther Vandross, the former still sounds OK to this day !
Back to top Go down
Mollyb
fallen angel
fallen angel
Mollyb

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures   Guilty Pleasures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 27 Aug 2009, 21:14

Huh just noticed the other guilty pleasures thread in the general forum. Huh. Use the search function Moll! Doh! You'd swear I was a forum n00b or something. Rolling Eyes Laughing
Back to top Go down
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures   Guilty Pleasures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 27 Aug 2009, 21:55

Duran Duran, I loved them as a youthful teen. I would've died for John Taylor (bass player).

Also Kajagoogoo - I remember Limahl being the lead singer, was a big fan of, perhaps, their only famous record, "Too Shy Shy - Hush Hush eye to eye....".

The 80's those were the days.....
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures   Guilty Pleasures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 27 Aug 2009, 22:00

Sorted!
Back to top Go down
Mollyb
fallen angel
fallen angel
Mollyb

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures   Guilty Pleasures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 28 Aug 2009, 08:00

Cheers. Ah how I miss my old modding powers. Thumbs Up!

Anyways! Another guilty secret.......Garth Brooks. I'm so annoyed with my underage self that I couldn't get to see him in Croke Park when he played there years ago.
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures   Guilty Pleasures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 30 Aug 2009, 20:11

Lynne wrote:
Duran Duran, I loved them as a youthful teen.
I disliked them until I heard "Ordinary world" Very Happy

A lot meantioned stuff here would be no guilty pleasure in my opinion (e.g. Marillion!!) but as a german we have a lot stuff that is really not that cool but still likable...I catch myself liking "Tausend mal belogen" by Andrea Berg but as often I was disappointed when I noticed that every song of her sound the same. Rolling Eyes
Not sure if it is really a guilty pleasure but I like Adamo. He has a very nice voice and even when he sang german it was not as schmaltzy as the other german stuff in the 60ies/70ies. I adore his song "Inshallah" because it is so beautiful (and the bridge sound strangely alike with "Lucky" by Radiohead and "Silver Rider" by Low! Suspect Shocked What a Face )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQB3o0k6B5Q
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures   Guilty Pleasures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 19 May 2010, 14:24

Drag this thread back from the depths since I can think of nowhere more appropriate for this post.

I've been listening to the new Keane "EP" on Spotify. And enjoying it! Sorry. If that ain't a guilty pleasure I don't know what is. It's cheezy, cringeworthy, sometimes bombastic, features a couple of tracks with a rapper your Mum would like, and it's Keane for heaven's sake. Despite all this I quite like it.

It has to be said that "Ishin Denshin (You've Got to Help Yourself)" is truly godawful, with no redeeming features whatsoever. And the one that starts with the Rocky theme and the nice rapper man - quite how that isn't the worst song in the history of recorded music is a mystery.

Still the rest is allright.

So do I get absolution?

Thought not.
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures   Guilty Pleasures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 20 May 2010, 10:35

Of course! And if you can't admit to sneakily liking them here on this thread, where can you?

(whispers) Quite like some of their stuff myself! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures   Guilty Pleasures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 20 May 2010, 11:29

No problem with Keane at all.........

First album is great, loads of top tracks on it........'Is It Any Wonder' from the second album, and that Bowie type tune (heartfelt apologies Bowie fans, for comparison !) from the 3rd album........all good stuff.
Back to top Go down
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures   Guilty Pleasures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 20 May 2010, 11:49

Don't be guilty about liking Keane. Me and MrsW are liking them a lot. Another band who have been set up and knocked down by the ever-fickle music press.

We've seen them three times. The first time was in Las Vegas, of all places, on their first tour there. Must have been a bit of a shock to them playing the House of Blues at Mandalay Bay Hotel and realising that probably 3/4 of the audience were British.

We also saw them last year at V Weston Park when, with 10,000 or so others, we watched them headlining the 4Music stage while history was being made on the main stage: Oasis imploding for the final time in front of 60,000 neanderthal lads and ladettes having a good old p*ssed up singalong to the golden oldies.

"Meh", we thought, as we wandered off at the end of the night to the refrain of some tired sludge that may once have been Wonderwall
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures   Guilty Pleasures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 20 May 2010, 17:42

A lot of stuff written about Keane and Coldplay, more so Keane, is the image of middle class toffs with a Home Counties accent, with no angst or miserable childhood to write about (though Tom Chaplin's been through rehab around the Under The Iron Sea time), and a portion of the working class muso's just abandon any thoughts of trying to Listen Without Prejudice (apologies George Michael).

I get tonnes of stick to this day when I say that the Coldplay date at Bolton Reebok with Elbow supporting in '05, was just as good as Oasis at Maine Road.
affraid
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures   Guilty Pleasures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 21 May 2010, 17:59

Oasis were good back in the day, for the first two albums anyway. Shame Liam's uncontrollable ego killed their credibility as time went on. There's only so much Beatles 'influence' (pastiche?) you can get away with and still be deemed fresh and innovative.

*stands up and raises right hand*
I'm Mrs Woman and I really like Keane's cover of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

There y'are, two guilty pleasures in one. But I'd still recommend it, it's a damned good listen.
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures   Guilty Pleasures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 21 May 2010, 19:02

While the Keane Confessional is on the go....

I can't hold my hand up and say i really like them that much, however ...Bedshaped was a favourite of mine.
Back to top Go down
Lesley Gilks
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures   Guilty Pleasures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 12 Aug 2010, 00:40

I'm in the Keane camp, too. Caught them in June and thoroughly enjoyed myself so I shall be going again, the next time they are on tour.
Franz Ferdinand was also fun, although VERY loud!
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures   Guilty Pleasures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 12 Aug 2010, 18:32

New guilty pleasure to report: Crossfire, the new single from the solo album by Brandon Flowers (of the Killers). It's formulaic and derivative and not particularly good, but I cannot help singing along with it when I hear it on the car radio. I'm a sucker for those big, anthemic choruses! Laughing
Back to top Go down
kimerajamm
newborn
newborn
kimerajamm

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures   Guilty Pleasures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 13 Aug 2010, 06:01

The Unicorns rock! I'd have to go with Justin Timberlake. I'm an indie music nerd and if asked I'll deny I like his music.

Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures   Guilty Pleasures - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Oct 2010, 11:09

Hurts.

Particularly "Wonderful Life" (Not the Black song by the way. Now that was REALLY good.)

My "oh so cool" friends (well, friend) and my really nerdy friends (most of 'em) can't believe I keep falling for this kind of shit, but I can't help it.
I've seen the following descriptions in reasonably favourable reviews - "more ’80s than guzzling a can of Quatro in front of Going Live" and " as retro as Roland Rat in a Frankie t-shirt eating a Wispa" and it's true.

To be honest, apart from the aforementioned track and "Better Than Love" the album is mostly guilty and not a lot of pleasure, but those two tracks...

The NME review, unusually, is very good in humorously describing what's both good and bad about the record, although the final score is surely tongue in cheek.
http://www.nme.com/reviews/hurts/11529
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Pleasures   Guilty Pleasures - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Guilty Pleasures
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3