elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gruff Rhys - Hotel Shampoo

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Gruff Rhys - Hotel Shampoo Empty
PostSubject: Gruff Rhys - Hotel Shampoo   Gruff Rhys - Hotel Shampoo Icon_minitimeMon 14 Feb 2011, 18:18

It is no secret that I love most things Gruff Rhys has lent his voice and undoubted songwriting talent to, and so it is probably no surprise that I'm enjoying Hotel Shampoo. Bearing all that in mind, I have to say I think this is a great album. As one would expect, there is plenty of invention and musical playfulness, but Gruff has reigned things in somewhat, allowing his words and harmonies to work their charm. There is plenty of melancholy here, but is perfectly balanced by the lush pop melodies and wistful summery loveliness.

I've read a few reviews that compare Hotel Shampoo to Bacharach, The Beach Boys and The Beatles, and you can see where they are coming from, but this album could only be by Rhys.

The pleasures of this record may be more delicate and less obvious than his previous outings - it is certainly no Neon Neon or Rings Around The World - but they are delicious all the same.
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Gruff Rhys - Hotel Shampoo   Gruff Rhys - Hotel Shampoo Icon_minitimeTue 15 Feb 2011, 11:17

Nice one Mr K - on that review I'll be getting a copy, heard his latest singles and they are great.

Can't wait for SFA to regroup and blow all the rubbish music out of the water - it'll be their 10th studio album. Been nearly 6 years since I've seen them live.
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Gruff Rhys - Hotel Shampoo   Gruff Rhys - Hotel Shampoo Icon_minitimeWed 16 Feb 2011, 18:48

missed this one, been too focused on elbow !
some great stuff knocking around Gruff / SFA work... definatley worth checking out
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gruff Rhys - Hotel Shampoo   Gruff Rhys - Hotel Shampoo Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gruff Rhys - Hotel Shampoo
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: other bands-
Jump to: