elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Snow

Go down 
+17
Lynne
Mr Woman
My Bury Vest
Grant
Dabamash
WOBLEwoble
Jones
TamedLamia
fadeupyoursmile
heshofcheese
leespoons
ChrissyBoy
mrswoman
Glendarian
ChrissieInFL
Hotblack
ticky
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

Female Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2011-02-03

Snow - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow   Snow - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 04 Feb 2011, 18:38

Oh, it was crazy how everything went this week here in terms of the weather conditions. People were cancelling in schools for Friday way before they even knew if the weather was really going to do anything. (I say that because Texas is a very bipolar state. It was 70º F on Monday, and it dropped all the way down to 28º F on Tuesday. o.O) This week has been the first where it's been substantially cold here. While I didn't necessarily appreciate being woken up at 6 this morning by my campus alerts on my phone telling me there would be no school, I think my university was right in not assuming that the weather would be bad before doing anything.

At any rate, it's never been really extreme here in terms of snow, so I can't say I really understand the situation up in Chicago. Don't they usually get enough snow up there, anyway?
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Snow - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow   Snow - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 04 Feb 2011, 18:56

Hi NeonChoir! From what I heard, Chicago was already well in the grip of winter with plenty of snow about anyway, but the bad extra snowfall and minus-twenty-something temperature was a sudden shock to the system, even for them.

From what you were saying in Texas, there's still a serious range of conditions, so respect to you & all those who grit their teeth and get on with it. Over here in Little Britain, we're oddly obsessed by the weather as official national pastime, yet can't quite get our collective act together to deal with the much tamer varieties of it! Razz
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

Snow - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow   Snow - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 04 Feb 2011, 19:26

-20º!? Yeah, that's pretty bad, even by Chicago standards. That makes a bit more sense.

Well, in my part of Texas, it's very humid, and we get the most amount of rainfall in the state. We're used to getting sleet and such when it rains in the cold weather. We're also used to having muggy weather in the summer. There's nothing worse than to have it rain during the summer; it feels good at the time, but you pay for it when it stops and the sun comes out again. It's incredibly icky.

I ended up going outside and staying out there for a few minutes before coming back inside. I was disappointed at how little snow there really was out there. It wasn't nearly as cold as I expected it to be, and the only reason I started feeling cold at all is because the wind started to blow a tad. On the plus side, it made me want to have some cider, and I'm sitting here enjoying a mug as I type this. (It's instant cider, but hey, I still think it's delicious.)

Hey, you're from Britain. Maybe you can tell me something. Is it true that it rains there a lot? I get that impression, for some reason.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Snow - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow   Snow - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 04 Feb 2011, 20:54

NeonChoir wrote:
Weather reports said that we would have 5 inches of snow around here by Friday. We didn't even get an inch. Neutral

However, due to the extremely icy conditions caused by copious amounts of sleet, my university announced there would be no school today. Yay. Very Happy Snow is a relatively rare occurrence here, so I might go play in it for at least a little bit. Smile

Where in Texas are ya, if you don't mind my asking? I have a friend over there for the Super Bowl this weekend, and he is NOT amused at how crappy the weather is for this event. Not that anyone will notice once they're tucked up in that sumptuous stadium, of course, but they've gotta leave sometime! Razz
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

Snow - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow   Snow - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 04 Feb 2011, 21:54

I don't mind at all. It's not like anyone knows where it is, anyway. Razz I live in Nacogdoches, a university town of about 30,000 people.
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Snow - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow   Snow - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 06 Feb 2011, 22:14

NeonChoir wrote:
Hey, you're from Britain. Maybe you can tell me something. Is it true that it rains there a lot? I get that impression, for some reason.

*chuckles* Depends where you are in Britain, really. I live in the North-West, between coast and mountains, so we do get a lot. Possibly even more than Manchester, the original 'Rainy City'.
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
Sponsored content

Snow - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow   Snow - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Snow
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3