elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How much are your old records worth?

Go down 
+2
ChrissyBoy
ticky
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

How much are your old records worth? Empty
PostSubject: How much are your old records worth?   How much are your old records worth? Icon_minitimeSat 28 Nov 2009, 22:16

I've found this on the Richard Hawley forum (I've been lurking there having recently discovered a passion for his music). It's really fascinating seeing how much your old collection's worth, yet sometimes rather disappointing. I've got a 12" Ramones - Sheena and I thought it was worth shed loads. Ah well, never mind.

http://www.popsike.com/
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: How much are your old records worth?   How much are your old records worth? Icon_minitimeSun 29 Nov 2009, 12:45

Yeah.. All that "special limited edition" vinyl - that had runs of thousands and thousands.
Back to top Go down
Lesley Gilks
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: How much are your old records worth?   How much are your old records worth? Icon_minitimeSun 29 Nov 2009, 16:00

I think the only one that I own that may be valuable is a 45rpm of Paul McCartney's "No More Lonely Nights"
On the label, lonely is spelt lonley. I bought it on the day it was released and was told that only a few made it out into the market. Not sure if that's right, though.
Back to top Go down
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: How much are your old records worth?   How much are your old records worth? Icon_minitimeMon 30 Nov 2009, 20:51

That website tells me that several old records of mine are worth a small fortune.
Unfortunately, I don't own them any more because I sold them thirty years ago; to buy cigarettes or Woodpecker or some similar ephemeral teenage thrill. Crying or Very sad

You make mistakes like that when you are young.
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

PostSubject: Re: How much are your old records worth?   How much are your old records worth? Icon_minitimeMon 30 Nov 2009, 21:38

I bet it was worth it at the time though Smile
Back to top Go down
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

Male Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: How much are your old records worth?   How much are your old records worth? Icon_minitimeMon 30 Nov 2009, 22:25

Mr Woman wrote:
That website tells me that several old records of mine are worth a small fortune.
Unfortunately, I don't own them any more because I sold them thirty years ago; to buy cigarettes or Woodpecker or some similar ephemeral teenage thrill. Crying or Very sad

You make mistakes like that when you are young.

Ha! Ha!

Substitute the Woodpecker for Broon Ale and that's me at sixteen that is. Sold all me old rock and prog records to the Handy Shop in South Shields for what seemed like a fortune at the time. Well it got me pissed for a few months anyway, so it wasn't all wasted. Drunk
Back to top Go down
http://www.panicnow.bravehost.com/
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: How much are your old records worth?   How much are your old records worth? Icon_minitimeTue 01 Dec 2009, 09:40

Glad I'm not the only person on here to have squandered a potential fortune in return for a teenage booze binge Very Happy .

It's completely hypothetical now, of course, but I find myself wondering if I had actually kept hold of any of those records, what circumstances would make me want to sell them now? I think it would be difficult to cash in after having them for so long and, ultimately, nothing has a value unless you're prepared to sell.

I think I'd want more than a weekend's worth of cider and cigarettes!
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

PostSubject: Re: How much are your old records worth?   How much are your old records worth? Icon_minitimeTue 01 Dec 2009, 10:14

I've got crates of old NMEs from the mid-70's/punk era and have been hoping that there might be some value in those - it's going to be another 30 years before I see some return on them. However, my daughter is fascinated by them. I only wish I hadn't cut out every picture of Jean Jacques Burnell to stick on my school books.
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: How much are your old records worth?   How much are your old records worth? Icon_minitimeSat 05 Dec 2009, 11:54

I've just been listening to this - mine's a bit tatty and in a similarly mis-spent youth I lost the four photos (they used to be a talking point on my wall when I was a student - it was generally agreed George Harrison's eyes followed you round the room...) although I've got the poster, so I guess it's not worth too much but the records themselves are in good nick. I've got a cupboard full of LPs to rummage through, I'm sure some must be worth something but about half the covers got knackered one time when we were moving house and they were all in a box spine up and the cat chose to use them as a scratching post. Mad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How much are your old records worth?   How much are your old records worth? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How much are your old records worth?
Page 1 of 1