elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

First Gig ?

Go down 
+37
Lesley Gilks
Dobz
Grant
bluejayway
nellie
yesman
ticky
Lillybef
Dikky
bluefield
Leo
noisebox
Jones
lapitu
Condo Flipper
klingklang
Robeman
chan
mrswoman
ChrisMcW
TamedLamia
al
fadeupyoursmile
evilpixie
Ted
Hotblack
Jonny
JulieinTX
MagicalTrevor
Topaz
ChrissieInFL
leespoons
Carah
Calum
MrsMagicalTrevor
Glendarian
ChrissyBoy
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
nellie
friend of ours
friend of ours
nellie

Female Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2008-11-24

First Gig ? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Gig ?   First Gig ? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr 2009, 17:33

The Smiths-30th October 1986, Manchester Free Trade Hall.
I was 15, I went with my sister and some of her scary punk friends. Was stood two rows back from the stage but ended up right at the front squashed against the stage (in the days before they had barriers), I'd borrowed a flowery shirt from my friend which got red all over it from the front of the stage. Nearly got crushed to death but was saved by the man standing behind me (who I never saw) who pushed me up onto the stage where I put my arm around Morrissey and kissed his cheek, they were playing 'I know it's over'. Then one of the security took me for a drink of water cos I thought I was dying. I wasnt allowed back in but I only missed one or two songs. The security man looked after me untill my sister came to get me, when she did find me she thumped me for getting to kiss Morrissey, as she had been to loads of gigs on the tour but had never got near them. Very Happy Happy days!
Back to top Go down
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 471
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: First Gig ?   First Gig ? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr 2009, 17:37

The first two gigs I went to far are too embarrassing to mention, but my third one (which I regard as my first) was The Who at Beaulieu in 2006, fab!
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: First Gig ?   First Gig ? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr 2009, 19:07

Go on.....! What were your first 2 gigs - everyone has got embarassing musical tastes from their childhood! You've piqued my curiosity!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

Male Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: First Gig ?   First Gig ? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr 2009, 19:39

First two were elbow, and then jarvis cocker Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: First Gig ?   First Gig ? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009, 09:51

ticky wrote:
Go on.....! What were your first 2 gigs - everyone has got embarassing musical tastes from their childhood! You've piqued my curiosity!!!!!
^^ What Ticky said.^^ You can't leave us hanging like that. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
Dobz
fallen angel
fallen angel

Female Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-06-20

PostSubject: Re: First Gig ?   First Gig ? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 17 Apr 2009, 23:57

bluejayway wrote:
The first two gigs I went to far are too embarrassing to mention, but my third one (which I regard as my first) was The Who at Beaulieu in 2006, fab!

Hahaha I got to see them 30 years earlier. My first gig was The Who at Deeside Leisure Centre (which is an ice rink that they covered over with mats). Must have been about 1976 ish.
Back to top Go down
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: First Gig ?   First Gig ? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Apr 2009, 11:01

Ok.....The first was Busted at Broadlands (2004?) and McFly, at the makeshift Wembley Pavilion thing, 2005. I was about 12/13, why oh why?
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: First Gig ?   First Gig ? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Apr 2009, 11:16

bluejayway wrote:
Ok.....The first was Busted at Broadlands (2004?) and McFly, at the makeshift Wembley Pavilion thing, 2005. I was about 12/13, why oh why?

Err....precisely because you were 12 or 13. Wink Then you discover real music and the universe changes irrevocably Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: First Gig ?   First Gig ? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Apr 2009, 13:22

I bet you had a great time!!! Good on you for telling us!
Back to top Go down
Lesley Gilks
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: First Gig ?   First Gig ? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Apr 2009, 13:23

I'm not sure I should admit to this but...here goes Rolling Eyes
B. A. Robertson - Colston Hall, Bristol. April 1980.
I was young and naive. What can I say?
Lesley
Back to top Go down
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: First Gig ?   First Gig ? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Apr 2009, 21:13

Hotblack wrote:
bluejayway wrote:

Err....precisely because you were 12 or 13. Wink Then you discover real music and the universe changes irrevocably Laughing Laughing

I discovered the Beatles/Stones/Who/Kinks around that time and realized it was all bullshit!
Back to top Go down
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: First Gig ?   First Gig ? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Apr 2009, 21:17

ticky wrote:
I bet you had a great time!!! Good on you for telling us!

Cheers, it was like admitting alcoholism. Hehe I was a mad little pre-teen. I remember being excited and telling my Dad the first was best gig in the world BAHA Razz I said the same about the second too!
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: First Gig ?   First Gig ? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Apr 2009, 23:06

bluejayway wrote:
Hotblack wrote:
bluejayway wrote:

I discovered the Beatles/Stones/Who/Kinks around that time and realized it was all bullshit!
Say what you like about McFly but I reckon they do a good job of introducing kids to 'real' music... and they actually write a good tune or two.

... and I saw them last Summer and thought they put on a really good show. Embarassed

It was free.
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: First Gig ?   First Gig ? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Apr 2009, 11:06

Mine was proper embarrassing, went to see the smooth and sweaty sealion of love, Alexander O'Neal at Manchester GMEX in 1989. Remember wearing a prince of wales check suit, paisley tie and belcher chain over the knot of the tie...........how wrong is all that ? He's the guy that brings a bed on stage and picks a chick from the crowd to sing to on it ! I was only 17 !!

Please don't think I dress like that now, I actually dress rather well now Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dr Evil
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: First Gig ?   First Gig ? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Apr 2009, 13:48

My first gig was Echo & The Bunnymen. Portsmouth Guildhall, in 1989 before their drug fueled break up. The force was not with them that day, and they were way too loud into the bargain. The reunion tour was vastly superior, so I consider Southampton Guildhall my real first gig-people were shouting out "brilliant,marvelous" towards the end. The best gig I have ever seen was during the EATB Flowers tour at the Brighton Concorde II-only one band has come close to it live since-Elbow at the Portsmouth Pyramids. The thing about Elbow is that they are reliable and totally professional, its not a game of chance hoping that they'll give a great show-you can take it for granted.
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: First Gig ?   First Gig ? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Apr 2009, 15:27

Green Day Rolling Eyes supported by New found Glory Evil or Very Mad

To be fair, Green Day were great live, and they put on a really good show.

I'm still embarrased though Embarassed
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

Male Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: First Gig ?   First Gig ? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Apr 2009, 17:44

Uriah Heep supported by Girlschool, Newcastle City Hall 1980. Very Happy
Pretty grim looking back on it, no idea why I went , wasn't a fan or anything. But I was a 13 year old rock fan and it was fantastic at the time.

I narrowly missed seeing Eric Clapton a few months before. My parents said I was too young to go and my older sister went instead and complained that Eric (aka God) had been supported by "some dirty old man who sang rude songs" - PAH! that was only the LEGENDARY Muddy Waters! Mad afro
Back to top Go down
http://www.panicnow.bravehost.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Gig ?   First Gig ? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First Gig ?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: other bands-
Jump to: