elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gig Behaviour

Go down 
+4
Mr Woman
TamedLamia
ChrissieInFL
WOBLEwoble
8 posters
AuthorMessage
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Female Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-06

Gig Behaviour Empty
PostSubject: Gig Behaviour   Gig Behaviour Icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov 2009, 17:02

What's the worst gig you have been to for the behaviour of audience. I want to call the audience fans, but what I've seen recently dismays me.

Reverend and the Makers were supporting Kasabian recently and at the gig I went to in Sheffield, the amount of drinks thrown onto stage whilst Rev were on was unbelievable and Sheffield is their home town. One nearly full pint of beer must have hit the drummer. The amount of body surfing going on was on and off throughout the night.

I so enjoyed the recent MUSE gig there and their fans really brilliant. As were the crowd I've seen at ELBOW gigs.

Whats the best / worst you've been to? Very Happy affraid
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Gig Behaviour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Behaviour   Gig Behaviour Icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov 2009, 17:39

I saw Elvis Costello back in the late 80's. Apparently, the only songs that many of the audience were familiar with were earlier hits that had been on MTV, so they kept yelling out for those songs during every other song he played. Elvis was up there, trying to get through newer material from King of America and Spike, but all you could hear were drunken dipsticks yelling, "PLAY PUMP IT UP, DUDE!" Mad Elvis was not amused, though he did a good job of performing anyway.
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Gig Behaviour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Behaviour   Gig Behaviour Icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov 2009, 17:39

Well I remember that ruthless short haired teenage boys pushing and shove to the first row at the Bon Jovi concert in Hamburg in 1989. Those kids even were'nt even from the eastern block like me but acted like they have a special right for the first row Razz
But still it was a great concert for me and if it was only because it was my first concert in the golden west...
And the audience at Mumiy Troll were a bit strange and not very nice to the opening act. But mostly I had no problems with anti-fans. Even at New Model Army-concerts it is possible by now to stand at least near the first row without getting pogoed down because the folks get older Wink
Best concert from Audience side must have been that Peter Gabriel-concert Berlin 2003 where the "aahyee" shant from "Animal Nation" even made it to the encore part. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

Gig Behaviour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Behaviour   Gig Behaviour Icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov 2009, 18:24

WOBLEwoble wrote:
What's the worst gig you have been to for the behaviour of audience. I want to call the audience fans, but what I've seen recently dismays me.

Reverend and the Makers were supporting Kasabian recently and at the gig I went to in Sheffield, the amount of drinks thrown onto stage whilst Rev were on was unbelievable and Sheffield is their home town.

Probably not Reverend and the Makers fans. The behaviour you describe seems to be an unfortuate trait amongst Kasabian fans.
Take this recent review in The Guardian, for example.

A lot of the problems at gigs seems to involve people who have drunk too much. There is some talk at the moment about restricting the sale of alcohol at some venues. There was a piece about this on Northwest Tonight a couple of weeks ago, in the aftermath of Morrissey getting hit by a bottle at the Liverpool Arena. There is a fear that artistes won't want to play at certain venues in case they get struck. I think they had a valid point.

The worst gig for behaviour I've been to HAS to be the Elbow MEN Arena gig, where my enjoyment of the evening was RUINED by all these daft so-and-so's in Mexican hats who obscured the view. Shame on them all. Laughing
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Gig Behaviour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Behaviour   Gig Behaviour Icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov 2009, 18:53

Mr Woman wrote:
WOBLEwoble wrote:

Reverend and the Makers were supporting Kasabian recently and at the gig I went to in Sheffield, the amount of drinks thrown onto stage whilst Rev were on was unbelievable and Sheffield is their home town.

Probably not Reverend and the Makers fans. The behaviour you describe seems to be an unfortuate trait amongst Kasabian fans.
Take this recent review in The Guardian, for example.

A lot of the problems at gigs seems to involve people who have drunk too much. There is some talk at the moment about restricting the sale of alcohol at some venues. There was a piece about this on Northwest Tonight a couple of weeks ago, in the aftermath of Morrissey getting hit by a bottle at the Liverpool Arena. There is a fear that artistes won't want to play at certain venues in case they get struck. I think they had a valid point.

I was hoping the thread would open up general comment about gigs we have been to - not means to comment about the gig I went to.

BUT to back up my opener - The throwing stopped when Kasabian came on. My daughter has attended two other Kasabian gigs on the recent tour and behaviour e.g. drinks/objects thrown did not happen whilst Kas were on.

Stuart Maconie in his RT article about the Morrissey incident, believes that "behaviour at gigs has got worse over recent years. ' He quotes an example: A woman should be able to sit in the front row of London Wainwright concert in Birmingham symphony hall without being punched in the face by a drunk man, as happened a couple of years back.

Perhaps Stuart has a point in his article - it is not so much the artist - more the organisers of the venues and mainly the male audience having more money to spend on gigs because there is so much illegal downloading of music.

I've gone off thread ... a bit ...

BACK TO MY ORIGINAL OPENER: What is the best/worst gig audience you have been in?
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Gig Behaviour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Behaviour   Gig Behaviour Icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov 2009, 19:31

Rolling Stones - Nice (i.e. in France - not pleasant!) - mid 80's. I had a bag of urine dropped over my back. It had been making the rounds of the gentlemen (!) at the front of the crowd and I was unlucky enough to have it deposited all over me. Fortunately there were water cannons at the front of the stage as it was so hot, so I got hosed down.
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Gig Behaviour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Behaviour   Gig Behaviour Icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov 2009, 21:35

I've been to a few punk gigs in the early 80s which were a bit nasty - but you knew what to expect.

To be honest I have never had a really bad experience at a gig, thankfully. I have to say that the Super Furries gig this summer in London had a brilliant chilled out crowd though, definately the nicest audience I have experienced in many a year.
Back to top Go down
Lesley Gilks
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Gig Behaviour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Behaviour   Gig Behaviour Icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov 2009, 22:13

I've not really experienced anything untoward but we did go to a Simply Red gig back in the early 90's where Mick Hucknall stopped half way through a song and said to two idiots having a fist fit, to stop or get out. He didn't put it quite in those terms, but it did the trick.
There was a lot of jostling at the Franz gig at the Brixton Academy, but I held my own. One girl was trying to push her way through to the front but we were so packed in, I had no where to go. Takes alot to shift me, anyway.
Hubby was at a Police gig in the early 80's that had to be abandonned because a load of skin heads invaded the stage.
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Gig Behaviour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Behaviour   Gig Behaviour Icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov 2009, 22:25

I think it must depend on where you stand. I aim for the side/front where there have never been any probs. Even at the Kasabian gig I had a brilliant time.

Hear of many gigs where the middle front gets very squashy but that prob has always been there. I remember a gig (Walker Brothers - way way back when!) where I was at the front in front of Scott - no barrier then so you were right up against the stage. Now that was tight ! Loved every minute of it.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

Gig Behaviour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Behaviour   Gig Behaviour Icon_minitimeWed 25 Nov 2009, 00:47

Basement Jaxx at Birmingham 02 Acad back in the summer. Again there were a few pints thrown on the stage and bottles and a couple of younger lads almost broke out into a fist fight with all the pushing and shoving. Apart from that the atmosphere was such a great party one, we just danced ourselves stupid all night long completely squashed trying to ignore it. Very entertaining!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gig Behaviour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gig Behaviour   Gig Behaviour Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gig Behaviour
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: the hole (in the neighbourhood)-
Jump to: