elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio

Go down 
+3
lucky with disease
ukkonen
mrswoman
7 posters
AuthorMessage
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio Empty
PostSubject: The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio   The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio Icon_minitimeMon 16 Nov 2009, 16:59

More documentary goodness, this time on Absolute Radio this Sunday 22nd Nov at 7pm. Followed by some coverage from the MEN gig.
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

Male Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio   The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio Icon_minitimeTue 17 Nov 2009, 15:16

The newsletter sent out today also states that there will be a series of podcasts filled with 3+ hours of conversation with band. I think this is the most I've seen the Elboys covered after an album. Normally, they slip into obscurity when they start working on the new album and you don't hear anything about them for months. The Mercury Prize and the new record label has done wonders for them. The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio 685959

Two hours of MEN gig coverage, would that be the entire set?
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio   The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio Icon_minitimeTue 17 Nov 2009, 17:27

ukkonen wrote:
I think this is the most I've seen the Elboys covered after an album. Normally, they slip into obscurity when they start working on the new album and you don't hear anything about them for months. The Mercury Prize and the new record label has done wonders for them. The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio 685959

The Seldom Seen Kid campaign certainly has been relentless.
From mid/late 2006 and all of 2007 was when it was ominously quiet.
Together with all the awards and a much higher television/radio profile this time, they, themselves have also worked very hard and are in a happy place with grown confidence with the mainstream success.

For the new record label; I will come out and say that I have been slightly disappointed from a consumer's point of view by the 'packaging' of the album releases by them so far.
More costly TSSK special edition was no different to TSSK regular, apart from the booklet having a couple more pages; with V2 the special edition both times included a brilliant DVD at hardly, if any, extra cost.
The AITB re-release, 'with expanded artwork' and the live material and exclusive footage it promised in the marketing, was also not quite there.

The podcasts sound good, if they are not exclusively Itunes.
Documentary title: "The Elbow Story: In Their Own Words"
The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

Male Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio   The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio Icon_minitimeSat 28 Nov 2009, 14:35

Quote :
The podcasts sound good, if they are not exclusively Itunes.
They're not. Smile

You can listen to the first five parts here, along with some other podcastery.

It may take some jiggery-pokery, but you should be able to get the mp3 files out of your browser cache to keep them, in case you don't use iTunes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.allyngibson.net/
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio   The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio Icon_minitimeSat 28 Nov 2009, 18:59

Was grateful Absolute linked it from their site too.
You say you can listen to the first five parts, does that mean there are more parts after part 5 on iTunes?
as I don't use it, I have no way of finding out. Has anyone downloaded them from iTunes?

Some funny stories in there that there wasn't room to include on the hour or so broadcast last sunday night.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

PostSubject: Re: The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio   The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio Icon_minitimeSat 28 Nov 2009, 20:06

lucky with disease wrote:
Was grateful Absolute linked it from their site too.
You say you can listen to the first five parts, does that mean there are more parts after part 5 on iTunes? as I don't use it, I have no way of finding out. Has anyone downloaded them from iTunes?
iTunes only has the five parts, and the fifth went online yesterday. So I don't know, from there, if there's more or not, except that ukkonen's post upthread says "a series of podcasts filled with 3+ hours of conversation with band" and the five parts only comprises an hour forty, give or take. Thus, I'm expecting more in the next few days. Smile
Back to top Go down
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

PostSubject: Re: The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio   The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio Icon_minitimeSun 29 Nov 2009, 00:09

And because I'm occasionally a tech nerd, this is the podcast feed for Absolute Radio's Elbow podcast. You don't need iTunes, just an RSS feed reader. Smile

There's also a Snow Patrol podcast. An Oasis podcast. A Keane podcast.

And, naturally, a Doctor Who podcast. Smile
Back to top Go down
nikkijaydee
little beast
little beast
nikkijaydee

Female Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio   The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio Icon_minitimeSun 29 Nov 2009, 20:33

I've only listened to part 1 so far. Had it on while I was doing the ironing. I laughed so much my husband came upstairs wondering what on earth was going on!! Think I'll save each one up for the weekly ironing then it'll make it easier to bare!
Back to top Go down
natalia
fallen angel
fallen angel
natalia

Female Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2010-04-04

PostSubject: Re: The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio   The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio Icon_minitimeWed 16 Jun 2010, 19:18

I know I am awfully late, but there is a question on my mind since I listened to the Absolute Radio interview. At some point, they say they are proud of all albums they have released, and of all songs on them -- except for one. Does anyone have a clue of what song they are not proud of?

Most times I think about it I end up thinking it is one from Leaders of the Free World, just because it is my least favourite album. But maybe it is something from Asleep in the Back, as it was their first album. However, all preconceptions apart, my strongest vote goes to a song from Cast of Thousands, despite being my favourite album.

Here is one idea of how to find it: say we have a database with their gig setlists. Then we could check the frequency with which songs have been played, and how long after the release of an album they were still being played. Perhaps there is clue in there. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://dyingdays.net
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio   The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio Icon_minitimeThu 17 Jun 2010, 19:56

Well, the rumour is that it's a b-side...
Back to top Go down
natalia
fallen angel
fallen angel
natalia

PostSubject: Re: The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio   The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio Icon_minitimeThu 17 Jun 2010, 20:05

A B-side, that is indeed a good clue. Does it have anything to do with cats? Very Happy From this interview, however, I had the impression they were not talking about a B-side at all.
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

Male Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio   The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio Icon_minitimeTue 22 Jun 2010, 18:30

It has to be a track off of Cast of Thousands or a b-side from one of the singles, because I can't seem to recall Guy ever really talking favorably about the album as a whole once Leaders & TSSK released.

Quote :
And you're front and center. You're the face of the band.

I suppose that after the first record I was worried that my mates would look at me differently. And maybe the rest of the band was going to say, "Why is he getting all the attention." But they were like, "No, what are you talking about? That's what happens."

So yeah, our first one, we didn't know what to expect. On our second one it was just so bewildered. I think we wrote some of our most romantic songs on that record.

It definitely took me longer to get into that record. I listened to it a few times and couldn't get into it, but came back to it a year or two later and was like "Wow, this is brilliant."

I think really, myself, I cherry pick on that record. I get hung up on "Switching Off" and "Fugitive Motel" really. Although "Grace Under Pressure" is a good one for different reasons. It's got some wonderful memories connected to it. [2008]

Quote :
That mutual respect they have for each other helped make the recording process for Leaders Of The Free World easy - a welcome change from the tense atmosphere surrounding sessions for the problematic second album, Cast Of Thousands. Garvey is pissed that Elbow fell victim to the dreaded "second album" syndrome. "The thing that annoyed me is that we went along with the cliché."
Back to top Go down
natalia
fallen angel
fallen angel
natalia

PostSubject: Re: The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio   The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jun 2010, 22:34

Thanks, ukkonen, for those quotes! I think it must be from Cast of Thounsands, then. I have listened to it again last week and taken some notes (as if I needed a reason). To my ears, those are the likelikoods the following songs are "the one" (0 = not likely, up to 4 = very likely). Of course I also based these on some prior knowledge:

3 - Ribcage [although I think they have a soft spot for this one, esp. Pete]
1 - Fallen Angel [it was a single, so not likely]
0 - Fugitive Motel [from quote above]
1 - Snooks (Progress Report) [homage to Snooks Eaglin, so it is unlikely]
0 - Switching Off [from quote above]
3 - Not a Job
2 - I've Got Your Number [ref. to Hendrix? not sure]
4 - Buttons and Zips
2 - Crawling with Idiot
0 - Grace Under Pressure [from quote above]
2 - Flying Dream 143 [how can this sweet song be the one? but no other evidence]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio   The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Elbow Story, Absolute Radio
Page 1 of 1