elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

String Quartet Arrangements Of Elbow Songs

Go down 
+3
al
lucky with disease
Mr Woman
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

String Quartet Arrangements Of Elbow Songs Empty
PostSubject: String Quartet Arrangements Of Elbow Songs   String Quartet Arrangements Of Elbow Songs Icon_minitimeWed 30 Sep 2009, 15:19

On several occasions in the past, the girls in the string quartet have entertained early birds at gigs with their glorious renditions of Elbow favourites old and new. It certainly made the uncomfortable wait on the MEN floor much more bearable as we sat there under the control of the Stalinist oppressors aka the MEN security.

I hope these beautiful arrangements have been captured properly in some way for posterity: It would be nice to think that a CD of these performances could be released at some point in the future, either in it's own right or perhaps as a companion piece to some future Elbow release.

We've seen the full glory of the Abbey Road and Halle collaborations, but I think that the string quartet versions sit very fabourably measured against these, albeit with a more genteel, parlour-room vibe: The perfect accompaniment to your afternoon tea and scones.
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: String Quartet Arrangements Of Elbow Songs   String Quartet Arrangements Of Elbow Songs Icon_minitimeWed 30 Sep 2009, 16:52

end of 'Not a Job' to all of 'Asleep in the Back

Oh Mr Woman, I couldn't agree more!
In fact although I missed the beginning, as was getting my seated ticket, I made sure I stayed for all the rest of their exquisite set!
So left my purchase of my 'Newborn' babygro and to join a mile long queue to get a drink, whilst that support band were on.

- Not A Job
- Fallen Angel
- Snooks (Progress Report)

- Asleep In The Back
- Red
- Powder Blue

- Picky Bugger
- Puncture Repair

- Audience With The Pope (not in that order)

I believe, is what was played at the M.E.N... much longer than at Wembley Arena, and all songs that Elbow wouldn't be doing.

Although the visual I got, as it was dark, is absolute rubbish, I did capture some clips on camera, so got sound and uploaded one from Wembley and one from M.E.N arena that came out best picture to youtube.
The sound was louder at M.E.N. I was even thinking of working out how to get the audio off of a couple of the other clips I took.
Anyway, no one one else has so here are my poor clips as a reminder (sound picked up is bearable)

If anyone has got any proper recordings or even much, much, better... an official release sometime, would love to listen to!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
al
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: String Quartet Arrangements Of Elbow Songs   String Quartet Arrangements Of Elbow Songs Icon_minitimeWed 30 Sep 2009, 17:39

I know there was an album released of snow patrol songs covered by a string quartet, so there must be a market! I love the elgirls versions, I'd definitely love a recording of them Smile
Back to top Go down
nikkijaydee
little beast
little beast
nikkijaydee

Female Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: String Quartet Arrangements Of Elbow Songs   String Quartet Arrangements Of Elbow Songs Icon_minitimeThu 01 Oct 2009, 16:12

Good idea.
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: String Quartet Arrangements Of Elbow Songs   String Quartet Arrangements Of Elbow Songs Icon_minitimeFri 02 Oct 2009, 11:23

I really like string quartets and I must say that the above recording sounds very nice. It fits a lot more to Elbow than huge orchestras and choirs (exept the Geoffs at Presuming Ed)
A real sensitive string arrangement makes me cry (in a good way). I adore the cello in "Red", I love the strings in "Fugitive Motel" and "My very best" and there are a lot other band's tracks that would be half as moving without the orchestration (Kate Bush "The man with the child in his eyes", Black Sabbath "She's gone", Peter Gabriel "Signal to noise")
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
evilpixie
friend of ours
friend of ours
evilpixie

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: String Quartet Arrangements Of Elbow Songs   String Quartet Arrangements Of Elbow Songs Icon_minitimeMon 12 Oct 2009, 18:33

I did suggest it to Richard back in April! Maybe the boys could give us all a nice little Christmas present. Wink
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: String Quartet Arrangements Of Elbow Songs   String Quartet Arrangements Of Elbow Songs Icon_minitimeWed 28 Oct 2009, 16:45

I've finally got round to listening to this (thanks to the original YouTube poster in particular (is that you LWD? Wink), and for recording that version of Bitten!) and I wholeheartedly second the idea of an official release of these, as I've never heard them and love what I've heard from this recording.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: String Quartet Arrangements Of Elbow Songs   String Quartet Arrangements Of Elbow Songs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

String Quartet Arrangements Of Elbow Songs
Page 1 of 1