elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

It's all about the B-sides

Go down 
+8
al
TamedLamia
mrswoman
leespoons
lucky with disease
Glendarian
Weepsie
fadeupyoursmile
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

It's all about the B-sides Empty
PostSubject: It's all about the B-sides   It's all about the B-sides Icon_minitimeSat 05 Sep 2009, 10:11

As the band may well be out recording for a while, i think it's as good a time as any to encourage people to explore the b-sides.
I'm almost certain that the band have never released a dud track and there is a B-side for every occasion, from Baby Jesus to Whisper Grass!
So here's the place for you to talk about your favorite B-sides and recommend things for people to check out!
So here's my pitch -
Drunken Engineer
I can never narrow down my favorite Elbow song, and i constantly change my mind but this is definitely up there.
It dawned on me that as a B-side people may have missed it and this is a tragedy! Who needs a self help book when you have a song like this, it breaks down what you need to do after heart break into simple steps (Apart from maybe fucking off around the world, it's not THAT easy when you're not a rock star!) and ends in the recommendation to meet at the pub for a beeeeeeer.
Beer
Back to top Go down
Weepsie
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: It's all about the B-sides   It's all about the B-sides Icon_minitimeTue 15 Sep 2009, 19:31

im currently listening to some b-sides, covers and live stuff.right now the crow
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: It's all about the B-sides   It's all about the B-sides Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 07:50

Between you you've named three of my favourites - Whisper Grass has to be right there among my top songs of all time, and I love Drunken Engineer and The Crow. I also love Long War Shuffle and the other that's right up there too is George Lassoes the Moon. Does MacGreggor count as a b-side? Well, it's a non-mainstream album track anyway, also a firm favourite and I'm so pissed off I never saw that one live.
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: It's all about the B-sides   It's all about the B-sides Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 11:46

Hey Glendarian,
Did I ever tell you... I did try for Mcgreggor for you on last tour...a long shot, but I wrote a special request card explaining how you had come to miss it on the leg when they did play it.
I put it in with a present I sent Craig, but its easily overlooked in those circumstances, was just worth a try though.
I was pushing my luck really as Powderblue forumers did get a wish granted all those years ago for 'George Lassoes the Moon' at Shepherd's Bush and the 'I've got you Number' dedication at Liverpool Barfly so I've had my quota, but as I was asking for you, and not for myself as I have been lucky enough to last have it at Porchester Hall ... thought it just may have happened the last couple of years.

I think it would have worked as a Stadium song, but Guy's drum banging is for 'Grounds for Divorce now'
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: It's all about the B-sides   It's all about the B-sides Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 11:56

That is so sweet of you, thanks. I love you I'd even been allowing myself to harbour hopes they might resurrect it on Friday night as I thought it could really work.

Never mind we did get Bitten By The Tailfly and that was good enough for me. Smile
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: It's all about the B-sides   It's all about the B-sides Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 16:47

ooh, there's too many... I had nothing but B-sides on my ipod for the two months before TSSK came out.

Love Blown Down is one of my favourites... it's that classic Elbow melancholy-yet-uplifting melody and the way the piano riff "stalks" Guy's vocals in places that does it for me.
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: It's all about the B-sides   It's all about the B-sides Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 16:58

Glendarian wrote:
I'd even been allowing myself to harbour hopes they might resurrect it on Friday night as I thought it could really work.
Have to admit I'd wondered about the likelihood of McGreggor on Friday too, but - aye - BBTF was another welcome surprise.

What with the AITB deluxe release upcoming, a one-off gig just with early lesser-heard stuff would be something, wouldn't it? OK, dream on! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: It's all about the B-sides   It's all about the B-sides Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 17:04

Oh, wow what a thought... Don't get me over-excited MrsW! Laughing
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857

PostSubject: Re: It's all about the B-sides   It's all about the B-sides Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 17:42

My fave B-Side is "Whisper Grass"
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
al
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 462

PostSubject: Re: It's all about the B-sides   It's all about the B-sides Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 18:19

Ooh, The Crow, Suffer, Loss ('mon the craig), but I think my favourite is Waving from Windows. It's their own fault for having so many bloody good ones...
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822

PostSubject: Re: It's all about the B-sides   It's all about the B-sides Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 19:05

Dunno why, but even though it's a cover, I absoultely adore "My Finger"
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

PostSubject: Re: It's all about the B-sides   It's all about the B-sides Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 19:15

ooh, ooh, forgot Snowball. I bloody LOVE Snowball. Think that's a cover too although to me it could easily be an Elbow original.

Drunken Engineer is aces, obviously. I like Gentle As and Loss, as you get a sense that they were recorded live rather than multitracked. And the pedal steel guitar on Long War Shuffle. And the guitar solo on Brave New Shave. And and and...

Have they done a duff B-side? Apart from that one with the bloke wittering on about trade unions or whatever...

(never heard 'Baby Jesus' though)
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

PostSubject: Re: It's all about the B-sides   It's all about the B-sides Icon_minitimeSun 20 Sep 2009, 19:21

When a couple of us were lucky enough to have a little chat with Craig after the Brixton gig, way early on in the TSSK touring, when they were planning for the Massive Attack's Meltdown concert at the Festival Hall, I mentioned about rarities/b-sides and Craig was saying about the limited rehearsal time etc.
We mentioned how great something like that would be for the future... having a rarities/b-sides concert, of the tracks they can do live...with some acoustic.
Thing is a lot of these wonderful, get lost in, songs wouldn't work in the loud Stadium setting, it would have had to be a different setting, maybe like with the Halle at Bridgewater Hall, or something like a future Electric Proms, or a secret gig at Blueprint Studios or residency at a venue with an atmosphere like the Deaf Institute, or Porchester Hall, or even if slightly bigger, Ritz Manchester or Koko Camden venues.
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: It's all about the B-sides   It's all about the B-sides Icon_minitimeSun 27 Sep 2009, 07:33

That would be amazing (though I hope there'd be pre-sales for fans Smile)

On a slightly different tack, do you think the ATIB collection has taken the place of the much-talked-about overall b-sides/rareties album?
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314

PostSubject: Re: It's all about the B-sides   It's all about the B-sides Icon_minitimeSun 27 Sep 2009, 08:39

MagicalTrevor wrote:
Dunno why, but even though it's a cover, I absoultely adore "My Finger"
Yes yes yes!
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: It's all about the B-sides   It's all about the B-sides Icon_minitimeMon 28 Sep 2009, 14:43

Not sure if this qualifies as a 'B-Side' but I sooo love Theme from Munroe Kelly.
Glad to see Long War Shuffle getting a shout here too. Oh man, the guitarrr!!! I love you
Also very much taken with Lay Down Your Cross.
Actually they're all great aren't they?
And the Spanish version of Mexican Standoff always makes me laugh! Razz
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

PostSubject: Re: It's all about the B-sides   It's all about the B-sides Icon_minitimeMon 28 Sep 2009, 14:48

Oh and of course 'August and September'.
I know it's not a B-Side but if MT can pick 'My Finger', then I can pick this one! Wink
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: It's all about the B-sides   It's all about the B-sides Icon_minitimeMon 28 Sep 2009, 14:52

Fine by me. Wink
Perhaps we ought to start a separate "covers" thread, but anyway I think their version of the Bewlay Brothers is awesome. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: It's all about the B-sides   It's all about the B-sides Icon_minitimeMon 28 Sep 2009, 14:56

Jones wrote:
Oh and of course 'August and September'.
I know it's not a B-Side but if MT can pick 'My Finger', then I can pick this one! Wink

I always loved the original version of this song anyway, so I was stoked when I discovered this cover.

Same goes for "May You Never".
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: It's all about the B-sides   It's all about the B-sides Icon_minitimeMon 28 Sep 2009, 15:02

Jones wrote:
Not sure if this qualifies as a 'B-Side' but I sooo love Theme from Munroe Kelly.

...as I used to great effect on the video of me and MMT snowboarding...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvIUnpg6YmE
Back to top Go down
al
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 462

PostSubject: Re: It's all about the B-sides   It's all about the B-sides Icon_minitimeMon 28 Sep 2009, 18:44

Jones wrote:

And the Spanish version of Mexican Standoff always makes me laugh! Razz

I was so confused when they played it at the MEN, I'm so used to singing Si instead of Yeah!
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

PostSubject: Re: It's all about the B-sides   It's all about the B-sides Icon_minitimeMon 28 Sep 2009, 19:07

Good stuff MT and you're right, it works really well on that video!

Anyone have any opinions on 'Strangeways to Holcombe Hill in 4:20' ?
I for one thinks it's amazing!
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: It's all about the B-sides   It's all about the B-sides Icon_minitimeTue 29 Sep 2009, 05:23

Me too - they opened the show with it on one tour (building up atmosphere just before the band came on stage) - it really worked.
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

PostSubject: Re: It's all about the B-sides   It's all about the B-sides Icon_minitimeTue 29 Sep 2009, 11:40

Jones wrote:
Anyone have any opinions on 'Strangeways to Holcombe Hill in 4:20' ?
I for one thinks it's amazing!

Yeah I love that - very atmospheric! Although my cheeky bootleg of it with Dizzee Rascal's 'Sirens' may have tainted it for some Smile
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

PostSubject: Re: It's all about the B-sides   It's all about the B-sides Icon_minitimeTue 29 Sep 2009, 12:23

Glendarian wrote:
Me too - they opened the show with it on one tour (building up atmosphere just before the band came on stage) - it really worked.

I remember them doing that with Vum Garda too, really spine-tingling. I absolutely loved it, when they used to have a B-side instrumental on just as they were due to come on stage, do you remember 'Cariad' was played just before Guy's audience with in Manchester?... but in a (fan) discussion once it was said that this was apparently major creative faux pas and contrived to put one of your own tracks in your intermission music, even if it was just as they were about to go on stage.
I don't agree.

Last edited by lucky with disease on Tue 29 Sep 2009, 12:52; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's all about the B-sides   It's all about the B-sides Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

It's all about the B-sides
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next