elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Queen

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

Queen Empty
PostSubject: Queen   Queen Icon_minitimeSat 29 Aug 2009, 05:16

I re-discovered Queen after a documention was shown on german television.
At the moment I am watching stuff on youtube and gosh... it always gets me goosebumps:

Queen was a very theatrical band and Freddy was the ringmaster! Amacing voice. Amacing music and lyrics.
I*ve watched the Highlander TV-series in the 90s and they've used Princess of the Universe as title song, so Queen companied my live for a very long time.

These are the days of our lives makes me so sad. Freddy died way to early. Imagine what he could have done in these almost 20 years. I guess they still would have been great! A different band - but great!
Back to top Go down
Mollyb
fallen angel
fallen angel
Mollyb

Female Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-08-13

Queen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Queen   Queen Icon_minitimeSat 29 Aug 2009, 10:03

I always had a vague interest in Queen when I was small, mostly thanks to Wayne's World and the Bohemian Rhapsody scene in the car. Laughing
But then Bohemian Rhapsody was one of my set musical pieces that I had to study in depth for my final school Exams (called the Leaving Cert over here) and as a result I bought the greatest hits and completly fell in love with them. Learning about the intricacy that went into making Bohemian Rhapsody blew me away. If you know how music recording worked back then and take into account the sheer volume of information that they put onto those teeny 24 tracks, it just blows my mind. Its the one song on the planet that I know almost everything about. And it was one of the first songs to have a proper music video too. Its a really interesting read on wikipedia if anyone is interested.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohemian_rhapsody

My other favourite songs are Who wants to live forever? and Killer Queen, Don't stop me now and Too much love will kill you. God they're just amazing.
As for Mercury, it is so heartbreakingly tragic that a talent like his had to die so young. What an amazing man and musician.
Obviously I'm too young to have ever seen them live but I don't think I'd ever go to one of their gigs now (are they even still touring with that guy?) it just wouldn't be the same. Freddie made that band. Sad
Back to top Go down
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

Queen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Queen   Queen Icon_minitimeSat 29 Aug 2009, 10:18

I was lucky enough to see Queen in their pomp at Elland Road, Leeds in 1982. It was the first outdoor stadium gig I'd ever been to and they were brilliant.

The support acts were The Teardrop Explodes, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts and Heart.

Abiding memory of the day was The Teardrop Explodes getting plastic bottles thrown at them by all the "rock" fans at the front (these were less enlightened times). Julian Cope picked up one of these bottles and started hitting himself gently on the leg saying "Is this what you want?" to the patchouli-scented neanderthals who were unable to appreciate what they were witnessing.

You weren't supposed to like rock music and post-punk alternative music in those days, but times were a-changing.

Joan Jett and Heart were crap, mind.
Back to top Go down
Dr Evil
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-02-24

Queen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Queen   Queen Icon_minitimeFri 18 Sep 2009, 09:45

The Teardrop Explodes AND Queen-what a gig! These were two of my favourite bands. When I was 14 my late mother, who was very "hip" was going to let me choose a rock concert she would pay for and attend with me. I wanted to see Deep Purple, but the concert was canceled. The ticket master said "we have a replacement band called Queen" and I said "Nah-lets get our money back-I've never heard of them" and a few months later I could have kicked my own ass when I found out how great they were. It's a mistake I have never made again-I have always been first to find great acts on the rise and see them in small venues before they become stadium rock acts-small venues give greater value for money.
Some of their albums could be a bit pretentious, even "Spinal Tap" but they have done some great songs-my favourite is "Spread Your Wings" and some of those songs made Freddie seem like a character in a tragic opera-his life reflected his art! Maybe some day a film will be made about him like Jim Morrison.
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Queen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Queen   Queen Icon_minitimeSat 05 Dec 2009, 11:39

I've been a Queen fan for yonks - their first and second albums were the first two albums I bought. I love the variety from sheer poetic delicacy to completely rocking out, not to mention I used to scare myself to death listening to The Prophet's Song before I went to sleep at nights. Along with several members of my class in school I was a member of the Queen Fan Club back in about 1976 when I was 12. Embarassed
Those were the days and I still love 'em...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Queen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Queen   Queen Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Queen
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: other bands-
Jump to: