elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8)

Go down 
+2
emmaline5
ChrissieInFL
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8) Empty
PostSubject: Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8)   Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8) Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 05:08

Wow...back from the Atlanta gig and am completely over the moon! Phenomenal show, and I will add details later as well as some pics (hopefully, if my crap camera managed to capture anything worth looking at!).

But just to give y'all the basics, here is the setlst:
Starlings
Bones Of You
Leaders
Mirrorball
The Stops
Mexican Standoff
Grounds For Divorce
Tower Crane Driver
Switching Off
Newborn
Weather To Fly
One Day Like This
--------------------
ENCORE:
Some Riot
Station Approach
Scattered Black & Whites

Not too shabby, right? I was thrilled - that's as good a set as I could have asked for on this tour (8 selections from TSSK and 7 blasts from the past), and every one sounded gorgeous! Also managed to shake Guy's hand when he came round to visit us down the front, got HALF of Guy's set list (it was ripped in two but I got the better side!), and managed to get a shout-out from Guy and a wave from Craig after I held up a sign to identify myself as the founder of the Craig Potter Appreciation Thread. That's right folks, I have no shame. Smile

All in all, a perfectly amazing evening and I hope I got at least a few good pics worth sharing. Flying home tomorrow and it is mega late, so though I'm still buzzing I will try to get my head down now...will add any decent pics when I get home. As they say in Atlanta, YEEEEEE-HAWWW!
Back to top Go down
emmaline5
newborn
newborn

Female Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8)   Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8) Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 05:37

Ha, we must have been typing at the same time! I was at the show and agree with everything above! Fantastic gig!
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8)   Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8) Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 20:33

Thrilled you 2 had such a good time - inevitable of course! So.... what was on your sign Chrissie!?
Back to top Go down
AyalaSurit
newborn
newborn
AyalaSurit

Female Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8)   Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8) Icon_minitimeMon 10 Aug 2009, 01:13

That was my first Elbow show and it was one of the greatest concerts I've EVER been to! I had a really rough week and was struggling with some serious stress and depression, but that concert made it all go away! Guy's voice is just.....WOW. My friend and I had goosebumps as soon as he started singing! It's been a long time since a band has made me feel that happy. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/ayalasurit
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

PostSubject: Re: Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8)   Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8) Icon_minitimeMon 10 Aug 2009, 07:03

Hi Ayala - I know exactly what you mean. I only saw my first show last March and, to be absolutely honest, it was the best gig I've seen in DECADES. As with the majority of us here, I am now utterly hooked! Welcome to the forum.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8)   Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8) Icon_minitimeMon 10 Aug 2009, 16:09

ticky wrote:
Thrilled you 2 had such a good time - inevitable of course! So.... what was on your sign Chrissie!?

Thanks ticky! Very Happy My sign was actually just a regular sheet of paper (so I could fold it and carry it in without a hassle) but I had printed on it in big letters, "FOUNDER OF THE CRAIG POTTER APPRECIATION THREAD" and a couple of arrows pointing downwards. I held it up over my head during the encore set and Guy spotted it - he said, "Hey! Look at this - it's the founder of the Craig Potter Appreciation Thread! See that, Craig?" And he pointed me out to Craig, who then gave me a smile, a wave and a thumbs-up. I waved back and that was about it, really! But I figured I'd be a proper wuss if I didn't represent the forum somehow. I know it works a lot better when there's a group of you all together, but since it was just me I did my wee bit for ERO! Plus I was wearing my new mirrorball earrings, handcrafted and sent to me specially by mrswoman herself, for which I shall be eternally grateful, as she knows by now. Very Happy All y'all who will be wearing them to the MEN show will look fab - I got a couple of compliments from folks in Atlanta who actually knew what they were meant to represent! Here's me modeling them before the show (my friends and I had already had a few beverages by this point in the evening...can you tell? drunken ):

Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8) Mirror10

I also received a lovely "I <3 Guy Garvey" pin, for which I have you to thank, right ticky? cheers My friend wore it to the show, since she had nothing Elbow-ish to wear and I took pity on her, but I kept it and will hang on to it in case I get another shot at seeing them live sometime!

Just went through my pics and most came out blurry. My camera is total crap and I hate it with a passion, but here are the only ones worth posting:

My friends, Brady and her husband Robert, who were good enough to accompany me -

Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8) Robert11

And some of the show - they really did come out crap! Mad

Guy and Jesca duetting on Murder of Birds
Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8) Jescag10

Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8) Jescag11

Random crap shots -
Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8) Guygui10

Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8) Petean11

Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8) Guygui14
Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8) Guygui15
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

PostSubject: Re: Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8)   Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8) Icon_minitimeMon 10 Aug 2009, 16:27

Cracking earrings and photos Chrissie! That must have felt wonderful when you got recognised. It sounds absolutely ridiculous and childish I know, but I have been feeling a twinge of jealousy recently, knowing that there are Elbow shows going on AND WE'RE NOT THERE!!! It must make it all the more special when you know that the band have had to travel such a long way to put on a show. I'm thrilled that you got one of my badges that was knocking around - before the Halle shows, I bought a whole load of them to distribute to fellow ERO-ers.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8)   Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8) Icon_minitimeMon 10 Aug 2009, 20:17

I totally get the jealousy thing, ticky...that's how I am pretty much all the time when I come on the board and see all the reports of shows that y'all get to see over there! So if you're "ridiculous and childish", then I'm "ridiculous and childish" to the tenth power! Laughing Ah, we can't help ourselves...we just love Elbow's music too much and I know if we could, we'd be at every gig, everywhere!

And yeah, it was kinda cool that Guy noticed my little sign, but I have to be honest. The highlight of the show for me personally was the realization that people there loved it so much. I mean, it was really a good crowd - lots of singing along and lots of honest enthusiasm. I was pleasantly suprised! Only downside was that it was way harder to get hold of a set list this time round. In Chicago last year I was literally hanging on to the lip of the stage, and people weren't too crazy about asking for the setlists. This time, there was a barrier up to allow photographer access to the stage, so I couldn't get too close. And there were scads of folks yelling for setlists! Guy's was the last to come up off the floor, and he had been kicking and stomping the shit out of it all evening, so it was in 2 pieces. But the half I got had enough on it so you could see what's what, so I'm delighted to have it (one and a half set lists gathered after 2 shows...not bad, I reckon!). Here's the shot of it:

Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8) Setlis10
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

PostSubject: Re: Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8)   Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8) Icon_minitimeMon 10 Aug 2009, 21:03

Hehe! That really looks like you fought to get that one! What did the other person look like?!
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8)   Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8) Icon_minitimeWed 12 Aug 2009, 02:53

ticky wrote:
Hehe! That really looks like you fought to get that one! What did the other person look like?!

Don't actually know who got the other half...I was the shortest one up there and it was tough to get near the damn things, but I did see both halves of Guy's setlist before they were handed over the edge of the stage, and the other half was mostly footprint/stomp marks! I know they were Guy's footprints and that, but I'm quite pleased that I got the side with most of the actual song titles on it!

Just spoke to my girlfriend this evening - the one who came with me to ATL - and she was repeating the same thing she'd said over and over after the show...best concert she'd ever seen, ever...unbelievable...amazing...etc. She and her husband both couldn't get over how great it was, and how they'd somehow missed out on this band until this year. Really happy to have turned them on to Elbow and to know that they had so much fun at the show! So many people have found them and become fans because of this tour, and I truly hope that there'll be enough of us over here to make it worthwhile for Elbow to come back more often and do a more extensive visit next time.
Back to top Go down
n0n0k0
fallen angel
fallen angel
n0n0k0

Female Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8)   Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8) Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jun 2010, 20:43

Chrissie, I remember seeing your "Craig Potter Appreciation Club" sign!!! LOL! I am so excited I found this thread! I know it's been almost a year since the event, but I, too, was there at Center Stage in Atlantis. It truly was a magical concert and a nice, intimate venue. I eagerly await their next album and return to the States. I will be there!!! Below are the two photos that turned out:

Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8) Img_3415

Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8) Img_3414
Back to top Go down
http://lastfm.com/user/n0n0k0
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8)   Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8) Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jun 2010, 21:37

Chrissie and nonoko (welcome !), have just come across this thread and it's really made me smile and reminisce about watching Elbow last year, and I love it when new 'disciples' like nonoko jump on board ! It's been 9 months now since I last saw them live (that's probably nothing compared to you guys overseas !) and I've seen some unbelievable concerts...Yeah Yeah Yeah's.....but stil nothing compares to an Elbow gig, the lyrics, the genuine warmth of the lads, the humility, the lush sounds, the way they make me FEEL.

The gig in Atlanta sounded fabulous.....save yer pennies and get over to Manchester for their return ! (nonoko) This is a great forum, with some really genuine people, who I had the fortune to meet, pre the Halle shows.

Rest Easy...... sunny
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

PostSubject: Re: Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8)   Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8) Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 07:35

I love hearing how excited other people get seeing them live - sounds like you had a wonderful time nonoko.

Has it really only been 9 months....? too long...
Back to top Go down
n0n0k0
fallen angel
fallen angel
n0n0k0

Female Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8)   Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8) Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 11:29

ticky wrote:
I love hearing how excited other people get seeing them live - sounds like you had a wonderful time nonoko.

Has it really only been 9 months....? too long...

YES!!! I was my first and only Elbow gig...certainly, NOT my last!!! All I have to do is close my eyes and imagine myself there...I have an idea for a new thread...
Back to top Go down
http://lastfm.com/user/n0n0k0
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8)   Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8) Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 13:06

Hey, cool! First off, welcome to the forum, n0n0k0! Nice to see someone else from the US here! Very Happy There are a few of us now, but I'm always happy to find another Elbow fan over here! And it's so cool that you brought this thread back from the dead...I was just realizing the other day that it's been nearly a year since the ATL gig and I soooo wish I could go back in time and experience it all over again! But I have high hopes that whenever the next album happens, the band will come back over here and do some shows. It's been very tough for me to catch them live over the years that I've been an Elbow fan, but because the last tour was such a success, I managed to catch them twice in 2 years, and both times were magic!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8)   Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Atlanta, Center Stage Theatre (Aug. 8)
Page 1 of 1