elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Nick Drake

Go down 
+2
Ted
Mr_K
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Nick Drake Empty
PostSubject: Nick Drake   Nick Drake Icon_minitimeFri 07 Aug 2009, 09:34

It is easy to link the tragic life and early death of Nick Drake with his music, but doing so does the music a disservice I think. Whilst it is oftimes undeniably melancholy there are moments of pure elation in his songs too - "Northern Sky" being an example.

I was introduced to Nick Drake as a teenager by an older hippy lady who I had a huge crush on (ooh she was lovely) in the early 80s. His music was totally different to the hard rock and post punk that I mostly listened to then, but something struck a chord.

He was pretty unknown then - you couldn't buy any of his records, so for a few years I had to make do with a cassette which slowly got worn out, so it was hugely exciting for me when his records where reissued.

Nick Drake is sometimes categorised as a folk artist - perhaps because he played acoustic guitar and because members of Fairport Convention played on his albums - and there are elements of folk in his music, but to me he is more of a singer/songwriter, and his second album has a real jazzy feel at times.

Drake was a fantastic guitarist with a highly individual style, possibly because he was self-taught. He often used non-standard tuning for his guitar, and his songs often feature unusual time signatures, but it all still feels organic and natural.

"Five Leaves Left" - his first album - has a subtle, sometimes pastoral feel. It is as beautifully understated album.

"Bryter Layter" is a strong contender for one of my top ten albums of all time. Some Nick Drake devotees consider Bryter Layter to be too poppy, and sure it possesses a fuller sound, with a more immediate impact, but his songs here have more depth than his early efforts. The balance between light and shade is perfect. "Northern Sky" is one of mine and Mrs K's special songs too, and it is gorgeous, with John Cale adding to the magic. It has a truly timeless quality; it seems incredible to me that it was recorded nearly 40 years ago. Bryter Layter is a wonderful, wonderful record.

His final album, "Pink Moon" is devastating. So bleak, so anguished at times and yet so calm. Just Drake and his guitar for the most part, the musicianship and the sheer excellence of the songs prevent Pink Moon from being a despairing listen, but it does feel desperately sad at times. Probably his best album - just not my favourite. Note: Some versions of Pink Moon have some additional tracks including the beautiful but chilling "Black Eyed Dog".

Nowadays Nick Drake’s music is more popular than ever, which Nick would have loved. From various things I have read, despite being desperately shy, Nick Drake wanted to be a commercial success; he wanted as many people as possible to hear his music.

Anyone else love Nick?
Back to top Go down
Ted
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Ted

Male Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-04-19

Nick Drake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nick Drake   Nick Drake Icon_minitimeFri 07 Aug 2009, 11:38

I sure do! Yeah the guy was fantastic and massively underrated. Pink Moon I think stands out because you can almost tell without knowing anything about him that it was his final album...short but sweet. From The Morning is one of my favourites for sure. I have even visited his grave in Tanworth-in-Arden and I have to say if he could have been buried anywhere then what a beautiful place: a quiet, country retreat overlooking fields and trees. There are still tributes and the like left at his grave by the select few who appreciate the genius that is Nick Drake. I recommend anyone who likes Elbow to give him a listen...3 albums and a few compilations should do the trick!
Back to top Go down
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

Nick Drake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nick Drake   Nick Drake Icon_minitimeFri 07 Aug 2009, 11:47

Being ahead of his time is possibly a clue to his commercial failure: He was maybe TOO far ahead of his time; to the degree that his audience hadn't been born yet!
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Nick Drake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nick Drake   Nick Drake Icon_minitimeFri 07 Aug 2009, 14:21

The biggest reason as I understand it for the failure in Nick's commercial success during his life was that at that time, an artist needed to be a strong live act to promote the music. Nick was never comfortable live.

I think had he been born a little later, or indeed, lived a little longer, this would have become irrelevant, and he would have enjoyed his success.

AND he would have seen his sister in Crossroads!
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Nick Drake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nick Drake   Nick Drake Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 11:02

I really like Nick Drake. It's such a tragedy that he died so early, I think he was too fragile. His music sounded so fragile and his voice was so soft and dreamy and he could bring so much melancholy in his music without sounding whiny.
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Nick Drake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nick Drake   Nick Drake Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 20:30

I have heard a few songs on Finest Hour - wonderful stuff. He's definately on my list of albums to buy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Nick Drake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nick Drake   Nick Drake Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nick Drake
Page 1 of 1