elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The perfect Elbow song?

Go down 
+14
Carah
Skeletor
ChrissyBoy
TamedLamia
Glendarian
Misspelt Yoof
Jonny
JulieinTX
scotochromagen
MagicalTrevor
Hotblack
Topaz
Dabamash
ChrissieInFL
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

From these choices, what for you is the perfrect Elbow song?
Newborn
The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Vote_lcap30%The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 30% [ 6 ]
Fugitive Motel
The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Vote_lcap10%The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 10% [ 2 ]
Great Expectations
The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 20% [ 4 ]
One Day Like This
The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
Asleep In The Back
The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Vote_lcap10%The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 10% [ 2 ]
Station Approach
The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 20% [ 4 ]
Switching Off
The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
My Very Best
The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 20

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The perfect Elbow song?   The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Apr 2008, 17:21

MagicalTrevor wrote:
Yeah, sorry, you are right, my fault for making it a poll.

No big, dude...the poll format cleared up what everyone was voting for and that was helpful! Smile As it happens, I think the two faves thus far - Newborn and Great Expectations - would qualify as perfect as well. I think I'll just try to get 'em both in there.
Back to top Go down
Calum
friend of ours
friend of ours
Calum

Male Number of posts : 486
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Elbow song?   The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Apr 2008, 18:05

Ach, I already want to change my vote.

Voted for Station Approach, but kinda think I should have voted for Newborn.

I don't know. I still have no idea what my favourite Elbow song is, and voting for the perfect one is prob just as hard...
Back to top Go down
JulieinTX
little beast
little beast

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Elbow song?   The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Apr 2008, 23:19

Skeletor wrote:
JulieinTX wrote:
Station Approach.
mine, too
Love the song...Very special one for me...

I did choose it because I believe (in my comparatively limited experience, granted) it is best representative of Elbow's music, but yeah, it's also personally special for me. Forget Myself made me take notice; Station Approach (among others) made me fall in love.
Also...sublime memories of driving through the gorgeous snowy Rocky Mountains in Colorado with my husband while listening to LOTFW (a perfect soundtrack for such a drive) add to my love for the song.
AAAaannd...my attempting to sell a friend of mine on Elbow finally resulted in this email I received one day that said, "I gotta hand it to you, Ju - your beloved Elbow's Station Approach is a thing of beauty." SOLD!

So...OK, yeah, it's a personal thing for me, I admit... Smile
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Elbow song?   The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr 2008, 07:30

I think Station Approach is one of the best album openers ever. It makes even more sense when you come from Manchester and know all the stuff he's talking about. Sorry. Trying not to sound pompous and a 'know-all' here but listening to that song the first time took me straight back to being a kid heading off in to Manchester for a Friday or Saturday night, coming out of Picadilly Station and heading down to the Gardens. It's a brillaint evocation of a homecoming.

I'll shut up now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
Ted
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Ted

Male Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Elbow song?   The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr 2008, 09:22

Carah wrote:
My favourite is 'Everthere', but I think I'm in a minority.

Hello, by the way.

(Worst first post ever.)

I know exactly what you mean! 'The Everthere' is a really lovely lovely song. The later songs on LOTFW are really underrated I reckon. 'My Very Best' is so nice too.

And hello Carah! Very Happy

But perfect Elbow song? Hmmm. Is this just our favourite or one that would sum them up if you had to showcase their work to someone? For some reason 'Not A Job' has a hugely powerful effect on me and that will always be right up there for sure. 'Newborn' is understandably awesome: Guy's raw emotion on the final lines backed with the thumping guitars is fantastic. (I sound like a music journalist! hehe!) 'Station Approach' is a lovely one too.I can see a pattern of the best Elbow songs being the ones that either change tempo or volume to show both sides to their music: the tender, lyrical side and the rockier side as well. I can't decide on one favourite song but if we go on my iTunes most played songs, my most played Elbow song is 'Scattered Black And Whites.' Now that is a little beauty of a song. The debate rages on...
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Elbow song?   The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr 2008, 12:55

Ted wrote:
I know exactly what you mean! 'The Everthere' is a really lovely lovely song. The later songs on LOTFW are really underrated I reckon. 'My Very Best' is so nice too.

The second half of that album is what made me fall in love with Elbow in the first place... that and Station Approach... and The Stops... and... and...
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Elbow song?   The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr 2008, 15:44

Alrighty folks! As of this morning, the winner was Newborn, so that one has been given a place of honor in my playlist thingy. I was going to add Great Expectations as well, but I couldn't add it through the playlist site I use. I am too compu-tarded to figure any alternative ways to add it either, without doing something illegal. So I put in Scattered Black and Whites instead, because I adore that song and I am the Grand Poobah of my playlist, so that's that! Laughing

If anyone would like to see the entire playlist, it's posted on my MySpace profile page, which is right here. Feel free to visit, and if you like, check through my blog to see my TSSK review. I always welcome feedback on my blog 'cause it's entirely possible that I'm just talking shite, and if nobody calls me on it I'll go unchecked and become an unstoppable force of evil. We don't want that now, do we? Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Male Number of posts : 2079

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Elbow song?   The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr 2008, 15:52

I has added you on myspace. The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 477171039_40441118d0
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Elbow song?   The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr 2008, 15:59

The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Excellent24
Back to top Go down
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Elbow song?   The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr 2008, 16:07

Doesn't really jive with the conversation but.

The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Thisdoesntconcernyoucat

Chrissie, I thought your review was excellent. Will check out your updated page.
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Elbow song?   The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr 2008, 16:13

I think it is time for a LolCat thread....
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Elbow song?   The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr 2008, 16:16

Dabamash wrote:
I think it is time for a LolCat thread....

It was only a matter of time... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Elbow song?   The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr 2008, 16:17

The lolcats are coming! run children! run for the hills.....arrrrghhhhhh cat
Back to top Go down
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Elbow song?   The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr 2008, 16:27

The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Do-not-want-dog
Back to top Go down
MrsMagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MrsMagicalTrevor

Female Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Elbow song?   The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr 2008, 16:47

MagicalTrevor wrote:
Newborn all the way for me

Same here... only by Muse Smile

Off that list I'd probably go for Fugitive Motel...
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Elbow song?   The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr 2008, 16:50

MrsMagicalTrevor wrote:
MagicalTrevor wrote:
Newborn all the way for me

Same here... only by Muse Smile

Your point stands to reason.
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Elbow song?   The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr 2008, 20:00

How did this thread become invaded by animals?
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Elbow song?   The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr 2008, 20:03

I dunno. We're just wacky, nutty, zany kids 'round here, aren't we? Smile But seeing as how I have picked a winner from the song votes, do we need to kill the poll or do we just leave it for anyone who still wants to respond? Question
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Elbow song?   The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr 2008, 20:16

I say keep it, it'd be interesting to see what it's like in a few months' time...

Oh, and I added you too, even though I hate MySpace and rarely go on the thing... Facebook's where it's at for me Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Elbow song?   The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr 2008, 20:22

Tell you what...I'll keep it running until 1 day after our 100th registered user.
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Elbow song?   The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr 2008, 21:04

Sounds good to me. Personally, I think a lot of thread can be killed off soon .
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Elbow song?   The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 23 Apr 2008, 15:36

Locked now as poll ended.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Elbow song?   The perfect Elbow song? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The perfect Elbow song?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2