elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

This is not a mod post...

Go down 
+7
ticky
MagicalTrevor
bluefield
mrswoman
takemeanywhere
lucky with disease
fadeupyoursmile
11 posters
AuthorMessage
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

This is not a mod post... Empty
PostSubject: This is not a mod post...   This is not a mod post... Icon_minitimeSat 01 Aug 2009, 13:37

I don't know whether it's the lack of current band action and people running out of things to talk about, or the bad weather making everyone cranky but everyone seems to be a little on edge around here. This place has always been a fantastic place of information and it's growing in friendships and fun, it's becoming a great board, i'd hate to see it slip down the bitchy argumentative slope that many, MANY band forums seem to fall foul of!
So here's my tips- (Easy now, i said Tips!)
Keep it appropriate - keep topics on route, take chats to PM or rants/celebrations to the appropriate place, if in doubt, we have have off topic!
Keep it friendly - discussing a subject is fine, just don't make it too personal
Keep it fun - After all, it's July and it's blowing a gale out there, i need a laugh!
Sarah
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: This is not a mod post...   This is not a mod post... Icon_minitimeSat 01 Aug 2009, 16:36

Thanks Sarah, well said.

When unsavoury comments and rambling pages of off topics have been seen on here, its easier to ignore, or just make into a joke, but then it continues to go down.

Diving into these threads to comment on the bad effect it is having, is not great, but hopefully it can only get better... like you said, I'd hate it to slip down further.

Heres to a board for a great band that it is pleasant, fun and interesting to visit Cool
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
takemeanywhere
little beast
little beast

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: This is not a mod post...   This is not a mod post... Icon_minitimeSat 01 Aug 2009, 18:11

"...It takes guts to be gentle and kind."
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: This is not a mod post...   This is not a mod post... Icon_minitimeSun 02 Aug 2009, 00:05

Good shout, Sarah.

Anyone who's been a forum member anywhere for a while will see ebbs and flows in the tone of a board. What varies wildly is how admins & mods choose to deal with drifts into the usual no-nos. Some places I visit are heavy-handed with even minor or one-off breaches of rule-breaking, so it's worth remembering we enjoy a fairly easy-going atmosphere here.

It'd be a huge pity if MT and everyone on the mod squad had to go stomping round in hob-nailed boots, but just 'cos you don't see our footprints all over doesn't mean we're not checking the territory. Dunno 'bout you, but I don't always log in every time I check threads... Plus - it's already been mentioned recently, but - if anyone thinks there's inappropriate posting or behaviour going on, just PM us.
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: This is not a mod post...   This is not a mod post... Icon_minitimeSun 02 Aug 2009, 11:17

Trouble at mill
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: This is not a mod post...   This is not a mod post... Icon_minitimeFri 07 Aug 2009, 14:10

It's funny, back in the early days I jumped on the off topic posts very heavily, and suffered as a result. There was a simple reason for this, and it was because I was getting TRN emails for a thread I was interested in, only to find it had gone way OT.

Now we are bigger than we were back then, maybe we should adopt this attitude again, though perhaps not so heavily.

I have since then tried to stay more hands off, stepping in only when something was brought to my attention. However, all this has shown me, is that you can't please everyone.

Still, most people seem happy, and that's all I ever wanted from this place.
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

PostSubject: Re: This is not a mod post...   This is not a mod post... Icon_minitimeFri 07 Aug 2009, 15:40

MT, has anyone tried the Chat invite alert post that Dabamash began yet?

Seems a great idea when a posters in a 2 or 3 way convo realise they are beginning to lead off topic.
Often threads go slightly off T for a couple of messages and then revert back, theres no harm in that but threads like the Halle one were difficult to look in, werent they?... especially if you were still after a chance to go.

The occasional forgetful double post, swear or name call, or one word answer I personally think does no harm either...just if it becomes too many on a page, and the usually nice atmosphere here deteriorates.

I had a chuckle at Sparky's post about us all breaking the new rules, with the one word 'read'. After all they do have to be rules that all of us can keep and that keep the place a happy place and ones that aren't causing you and the mods loads of work.
If its a community then everyone using it has a responsiblity for it, its not just down to one or two people or just the Mod squad.
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: This is not a mod post...   This is not a mod post... Icon_minitimeFri 07 Aug 2009, 15:46

lucky with disease wrote:
MT, has anyone tried the Chat invite alert post that Dabamash began yet?

Seems a great idea when a posters in a 2 or 3 way convo realise they are beginning to lead off topic.

I don't think so as yet. It's a good idea and lets hope people do

lucky with disease wrote:
I had a chuckle at Sparky's post about us all breaking the new rules, with the one word 'read'..

Well, the irony was overwhelming.
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: This is not a mod post...   This is not a mod post... Icon_minitimeFri 07 Aug 2009, 18:41

I'd be interested to know - what is a double post?
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: This is not a mod post...   This is not a mod post... Icon_minitimeFri 07 Aug 2009, 18:44

Generally happens when someone clicks submit on a post, the forum is slow to respond so they hit submit again, but the forum got the first one anyway so posts an additional one.

However, I think LWD here is referring to the same topic being posted in multiple threads?
Back to top Go down
Stockhaus
friend of ours
friend of ours
Stockhaus

Female Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-12-11

PostSubject: Re: This is not a mod post...   This is not a mod post... Icon_minitimeFri 07 Aug 2009, 20:57

im trying to resist my urge of posting a rude one word offending post............ I can't help it. it is in me. I think im doing very well actually
Back to top Go down
al
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 462

PostSubject: Re: This is not a mod post...   This is not a mod post... Icon_minitimeFri 07 Aug 2009, 20:59

I define a double post as someone posting two comments one after the other and not editing the first post so they don't clog up the thread...
Back to top Go down
Stockhaus
friend of ours
friend of ours
Stockhaus

PostSubject: Re: This is not a mod post...   This is not a mod post... Icon_minitimeFri 07 Aug 2009, 20:59

and to double post and go totally off topic.

This is not a mod post... Funny-pictures-walls-utterly-fascinating

im sorry i just had to.
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Male Number of posts : 2079

PostSubject: Re: This is not a mod post...   This is not a mod post... Icon_minitimeFri 07 Aug 2009, 21:07

That was a single post.
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

PostSubject: Re: This is not a mod post...   This is not a mod post... Icon_minitimeFri 07 Aug 2009, 21:07

This is a double post

(Don't you just love what I did there? Cool )
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314

PostSubject: Re: This is not a mod post...   This is not a mod post... Icon_minitimeFri 07 Aug 2009, 21:12

Stockhaus wrote:
and to double post and go totally off topic.

This is not a mod post... Funny-pictures-walls-utterly-fascinating

im sorry i just had to.

Fail that's just the one post!!!!
Dabs is two!
Therefore Dabs wins!
I know this is a bit of a boring subject, but it's good that people ask!
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

PostSubject: Re: This is not a mod post...   This is not a mod post... Icon_minitimeFri 07 Aug 2009, 21:17

I win, but I also lose. Wow, so, it's like I never took part!

I'm gonna go and think this over for an hour or so.
Back to top Go down
Stockhaus
friend of ours
friend of ours
Stockhaus

PostSubject: Re: This is not a mod post...   This is not a mod post... Icon_minitimeFri 07 Aug 2009, 21:49

well it was spose to be a double post until someone posted something seconds before me, what a twat.

see i did it again.
Back to top Go down
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: This is not a mod post...   This is not a mod post... Icon_minitimeSat 08 Aug 2009, 11:26

Aw! You swore! You said the T word. Shocked Wink

Another interpretation of the double post could be when people basically just repeat what someone else has just posted thereby showing that they haven't read the previous contributions to a thread.

I think it's good manners to read what other people's opinions are and even better to not reiterate a point that someone else has already made, other than just say you agree with them.

Or in the "word association" when it goes something like "Hand - Glove - Hand" and you end up screaming at the screen "I put hand! That's my word! That's not fair!" Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

PostSubject: Re: This is not a mod post...   This is not a mod post... Icon_minitimeSat 08 Aug 2009, 11:38

So, to recap. There are three types of double post:

1. Submitting your message twice
  2. Submitting a message right after another, instead of just editing the original
  3. Posting something that another member has already said

I will go and amend the rules...
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: This is not a mod post...   This is not a mod post... Icon_minitimeSat 08 Aug 2009, 11:56

Can you post the amendments here first please Dabs?
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

PostSubject: Re: This is not a mod post...   This is not a mod post... Icon_minitimeSat 08 Aug 2009, 12:08

I did...in the last post... Shocked

I've just stuck that list under the "double post" section of the rules.
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: This is not a mod post...   This is not a mod post... Icon_minitimeSat 08 Aug 2009, 12:13

Sorry, just woke up to all this SG shit and this...
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

PostSubject: Re: This is not a mod post...   This is not a mod post... Icon_minitimeSun 09 Aug 2009, 11:46

Been a bit bemused by some of the recent reactions to the guidelines, which are really only as they have always been, but have been made more specific by Admin and the Mods.

After all, they are only put there as a reminder to maintain a band's internet fan forum as a

pleasant, informative and easy to navigate, fun place to visit,

many users were, and have been continuing to do that anyway.
Some people come and go from internet forums without a sound, no one should feel that they have to leave in an unpleasant way, which makes it upsetting for others...
especially if you actually meet the Mods... you know they don't bite affraid
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This is not a mod post...   This is not a mod post... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

This is not a mod post...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: the hole (in the neighbourhood)-
Jump to: