elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

nice bloke/grumpy bloke

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-06-30

nice bloke/grumpy bloke Empty
PostSubject: nice bloke/grumpy bloke   nice bloke/grumpy bloke Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 09:29

Guy comes accross as and Im sure he is a lovely talented modest and friendly bloke who produces beautiful music and incredible lyrics as do the rest of the band, this is Im sure no shock to people on this forum, They are the sort of blokes you could share a pint with the music they produce is the soundtrack to my life .

From the same neck of the North Manchester woods is Mark E Smith the constant member/dictator over the last 30 years of the The Fall,he is without doubt the the most objectionable grumpy and unpleasent bloke, he can't sing to save his life, he treats his musicians and loyal fans with equal contempt, gigs are unpredictable and happhazzard, the music is repetetive jarring and uncompremising, their music is the soundtrack of my life

I love them both equally, its a strange old world
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: nice bloke/grumpy bloke   nice bloke/grumpy bloke Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 11:04

A good mate of mine who hates Elbow (i know, I've tried !) and adores The Fall would totally agree with your description of Mark E Smith. My mate was in a quandry into whether to attend last Saturdays gig at Manchester Academy, he decided not to because a, it's 20 quid and b, more often than not recently, it's a complete shambles with Smith showing total disresepect to the crowd. It was the predicted shambles according to a letter by a die hard Fall fan in the Manchester Evening News. He's got quite a reputation and there's no smoke without fire, I used to know one of the many drummers he's employed and she could vouch for what bluefield has said.

I've seen him a couple of times in Prestwich having a pint in the Red Lion aswell.

Having said all that, apparently when they are good, they make it all seem worthwhile, but I believe it's become too rare when it all falls together beautifully. Personally, from what I've heard, it's not my cup of earl grey.
Back to top Go down
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: nice bloke/grumpy bloke   nice bloke/grumpy bloke Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 11:30

Yeah I was at the Academy, the letter in the M.E.N. was way off the mark (as it were) it certainly was nt a shambles and it had its moments of magic, I doubted the letter writer to be honest, if the bloke was such a fan of ling standing,he must have seen far worse than that for Christs sake come on.
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: nice bloke/grumpy bloke   nice bloke/grumpy bloke Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 12:59

Good topic bluefield, the contrast between such charmless types who (can) make excellent music alongside the self-effacing, but equally talented good guys.

While not a big, knowledgable fan of The Fall, I love a few tracks like Hit The North, Victoria and There's a Ghost in my House. It's probably no coincidence that the last two I mentioned are covers! Wink Despite the bad press, there's something attractive about Mark E. Smith that symbolises gritty Manchester swagger and undoubted musical credibility, such as that demonstrated by John Peel's devotion to the band.

There's definitely a place for gitty, prima-donna behaviour set against musical talent. Take Van Morrison: Someone I know works as a beauty therapist in a posh hotel in Liverpool, and on this occasion Morrison was booked for a massage before the performance. She politely gushed about how her family were going to the big gig and what a privilege it was to meet him, to which he harrumphed dismissively and remained sullenly silent, ignoring her for the rest of the treatment. Rock star types, eh?
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: nice bloke/grumpy bloke   nice bloke/grumpy bloke Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 18:09

Yep bang on the money Mrswoman
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: nice bloke/grumpy bloke   nice bloke/grumpy bloke Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jul 2009, 06:56

Absolutely agree with what MrsW said and Bluefield re there being room for prima donna behaviour in the world of music but when fans get short changed, i think thats totally unacceptable. Look at Peter Doherty's now shows etc. I think 70 minutes for a band with the back catalogue of the Fall is poor.
Back to top Go down
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: nice bloke/grumpy bloke   nice bloke/grumpy bloke Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jul 2009, 13:05

yeah agree Buryvest the set was a good 30 minutes short,the annoying thing was they wet off came back on a couple of times then wet off and the house lights came on and people left we were just climbing in a cab on Oxford Rd and they blasted into a crowd pleasing song,they are bizare !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: nice bloke/grumpy bloke   nice bloke/grumpy bloke Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

nice bloke/grumpy bloke
Page 1 of 1