elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

First Elbow concert (...finally!)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
emma
friend of ours
friend of ours
emma

Female Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-04-01

First Elbow concert (...finally!) Empty
PostSubject: First Elbow concert (...finally!)   First Elbow concert (...finally!) Icon_minitimeTue 14 Jul 2009, 02:27

Well after being a fan for seven years, I will finally get to see Elbow live in Toronto in about two weeks (SO excited!! Very Happy ). Unfortunately they're supporting Coldplay in a giant stadium, so I'm not going to be that close.. but I'm still really excited to hear them live for the first time. Anyway I'm posting to ask advice on how to go about trying to meet the band? Since Coldplay will be there and everything, I'm guessing there will be high security but I thought it would be worth a try looking for them. For those who have met any of the band before, how did you bump into them?

Even if meeting the band doesn't work out, I'm sure the show will be amazing - I cannot wait! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2226544041
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

Female Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Re: First Elbow concert (...finally!)   First Elbow concert (...finally!) Icon_minitimeTue 14 Jul 2009, 06:41

The times I've seen them have mostly been from loitering around the venue, either really early or really late! The back of the venue is always a good place to hang around if it is accessible since people often pop out for a breather, but if it's a stadium then that bit may be closed off.

That or find someone who's going to the afterparty and beg them for a pass, hehe!
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

Female Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Re: First Elbow concert (...finally!)   First Elbow concert (...finally!) Icon_minitimeTue 14 Jul 2009, 06:42

So glad you're getting to finally see them by the way, really excited for you!! Very Happy Very Happy There's no doubt that even as a support they will be fantastic!!
Back to top Go down
emma
friend of ours
friend of ours
emma

PostSubject: Re: First Elbow concert (...finally!)   First Elbow concert (...finally!) Icon_minitimeTue 14 Jul 2009, 12:17

Thanks for the advice! I've booked the day off from work so I will definitely arrive early and look around a bit before the show.
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: First Elbow concert (...finally!)   First Elbow concert (...finally!) Icon_minitimeTue 14 Jul 2009, 12:20

Hi Emma,
so happy for you that you are finally able to see them play for real!

Try making yourself known to crew, if you see any of them setting up (You run the great elbow facebook group right?...way before there was an official fan page)
I know this is unlikely for you to get anywhere near crew loading in at a stadium, it'l all probably be all out of bounds. Maybe try asking at the merch stall...in the UK, in the past, they have often had friends running it who sometimes recognise fans, so could put in a word, but don't know, as its in Canada.
Good luck Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
emma
friend of ours
friend of ours
emma

PostSubject: Re: First Elbow concert (...finally!)   First Elbow concert (...finally!) Icon_minitimeTue 14 Jul 2009, 12:37

thanks lucky with disease! The crew will probably be out of bounds, but if they're not then I'll make sure to talk to them (yes, I run the unofficial facebook group Razz ). And I almost forgot about the merchandise stall! I'll finally be able to buy Elbow merchandise without having to ship it from England!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: First Elbow concert (...finally!)   First Elbow concert (...finally!) Icon_minitimeTue 14 Jul 2009, 14:00

Hey Emma! First of all...congrats on your upcoming first show - I have been a fan since Asleep in the Back and never saw them live until last April, so I feel your pain at having to wait a while for the privilege! BTW, according to your age, if you've been a fan for 7 years, that would mean you started listening to Elbow at....12?? Wow, I have to say that's impressive - I don't know too many pre-teens who'd have the patience or appreciation for Elbow's music, so good on ya! Thumbs Up!

As for meeting the band, I haven't managed it myself (what with living in the US and only seeing them live once and what-have-you Rolling Eyes ) but I did have a close call when I went last year. A couple that I was with were really intent on trying to meet the band, and they pestered one of the security guys (an older fellow) for info on where the band would be eating after the gig. He gave them the name of a place up the road from the theatre, and as it turned out, the band DID head there for their meal! I didn't go along with them, because I felt weird about bothering them while they ate, but I still think I maybe could've just peeked in! cyclops

The theatre where I saw them was a smaller one in Chicago and the staff were sort of older and pretty nice, so that all helped in getting the info about the restaurant. I don't know if there'll be much access to anyone at a big show like the one you're going to, but good luck!
Back to top Go down
emma
friend of ours
friend of ours
emma

PostSubject: Re: First Elbow concert (...finally!)   First Elbow concert (...finally!) Icon_minitimeFri 17 Jul 2009, 02:30

Wow, that is a long time. It sucks living in North America as far as Elbow is concerned. Haha yes I guess I must have been 12 when I started listening to Elbow. I'm actually suprised myself when I think about it now!
And it's too bad you didn't get to see Elbow after coming so close to meeting them. I know what you mean though about not wanting to pester them while they're eating or occupied in some way. But I guess I'll just have to build up the courage and try to at least say hello if I see them!
Back to top Go down
emma
friend of ours
friend of ours
emma

PostSubject: Re: First Elbow concert (...finally!)   First Elbow concert (...finally!) Icon_minitimeSat 01 Aug 2009, 02:40

Well I went to the concert yesterday and had a lovely time!! My sister and I arrived about three hours early in hopes that we would stumble upon the band somewhere around the venue. Unfortunately, we were unsuccessful in our venture after circling the stadium a few times and walking by some restaurants and bars, but we sort of expected that considering the size of the event (with Coldplay and everything..). Once the doors opened, we went to the merchandise stalls to look for anything Elbow, but were a bit disappointed because they were only selling the Seldom Seen Kid CD and two cube shirts (and I already have one). Also the merchandise people were staff from the Rogers Centre so they had no affiliation with the bands. Again, we kind of expected that because of the size of the concert.
Our seats were in the 500s so everything on the stage was tiny, but there were giant screens with projections of the stage which definately helped. Finally the show started and Elbow were the second supporting band. I was SO excited to see them, and everyone in the section around me was probably suprised by how excited I was for Elbow Razz ! I don't think many people knew who Elbow were, but since the concert I've seen a lot of interest by Torontonians on the internet so Elbow definitely left an impression! As usual, Elbow started with Starlings, which sounded amazing live with the trumpets and Guy's voice filling the stadium. Next they played the Bones of You, which again was brilliant and lively with the shakers and infectious rhythm. Mirrorball was absolutely stunning, followed by Station Approach and Grounds for Divorce. They finished with One Day Like This and I didn't hold back for the final refrains, even though no one around me was singing Razz ! It was so overwhelming and brilliant seeing them live!! (even though it was so hard to see them and they only played for half an hour) I really hope Elbow returns to Toronto soonish to headline in a smaller venue. Otherwise I think I'll move to England where I can be guaranteed more Elbow Very Happy !
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: First Elbow concert (...finally!)   First Elbow concert (...finally!) Icon_minitimeSat 01 Aug 2009, 14:09

Thanks for the post, Emma! So glad you enjoyed it - though I knew you would! Very Happy Shame about it being an opening slot and not a headlining gig, but hang in there...it took me a while before I had the chance to see them live, and what with their ongoing success, I'm guessing they'll make some more time for North America in the not-too-distant future!

Thanks also for mentioning the merch situation - I was wondering if they had anything good on offer. But I've got the cube shirt too, so I guess I'm out of luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Elbow concert (...finally!)   First Elbow concert (...finally!) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First Elbow concert (...finally!)
Page 1 of 1