elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Death Cab for Cutie

Go down 
+3
sparky
fadeupyoursmile
mrswoman
7 posters
AuthorMessage
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Death Cab for Cutie Empty
PostSubject: Death Cab for Cutie   Death Cab for Cutie Icon_minitimeTue 23 Jun 2009, 20:34

Only starting to catch up with DCFC a bit now, after a workmate with similar taste had kept going on for ages about how good they are. Consequently "I will follow you into the Dark" from 'Plans' is a bit of an earworm lately. It's a lovely song to play on an acoustic too.

Anyone here more up on them?
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Death Cab for Cutie   Death Cab for Cutie Icon_minitimeTue 23 Jun 2009, 21:48

You have to listen to Transatlantasism and The Photo Album. They're more Al's baby than mine, you have have have to check out the Postal Service too!
Back to top Go down
sparky
friend of ours
friend of ours
sparky

Male Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Death Cab for Cutie   Death Cab for Cutie Icon_minitimeTue 30 Jun 2009, 17:04

"Plans" is a wonderful album.
"What Sarah Said" off Plans is such a beautiful tune coupled with the saddest of lyrics. It's got to be heard.

I didn't think last years "Narrow Stairs" was quite as consistent but there are some fantastic songs on there too

Great tunes and thoughtful, grown up words (sometimes uplifting but sometimes quite dark)

Thoroughly recommended

Cheers
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Death Cab for Cutie   Death Cab for Cutie Icon_minitimeTue 27 Oct 2009, 12:59

Just been hearing 'Music From The Equinox' i think it's called, the first music I've ever heard from them and my word it's a grower, got right under my skin.....it's brilliant. Sort of reminds me of early Placebo a bit.
Back to top Go down
oneofthethree
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2009-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Death Cab for Cutie   Death Cab for Cutie Icon_minitimeTue 27 Oct 2009, 13:49

Photo Album is amazing from start to finish. Anything either side is a bit hit and miss in my view. Too indie or not indie enough.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Death Cab for Cutie   Death Cab for Cutie Icon_minitimeTue 27 Oct 2009, 15:00

I like them more than love them. They have a handful of songs that I think are excellent. Ben Gibbard kinda weirds me out, though. Not sure why! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Mollyb
fallen angel
fallen angel
Mollyb

Female Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Death Cab for Cutie   Death Cab for Cutie Icon_minitimeMon 02 Nov 2009, 23:44

I quite like DCFC although I'm more partial to Plans and Narrow Stairs than I am to Transatlanticism or The Photo Album. Dunno why they never grew on me. I'm really liking the Equinox song though. Even more coz it's for the new Twilight movie (guilty pleasure!)

I think Ben Gibbard is a fabulous lyricist though. The Postal Service are amazing too.
Back to top Go down
sparky
friend of ours
friend of ours
sparky

Male Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Death Cab for Cutie   Death Cab for Cutie Icon_minitimeTue 05 Jul 2011, 09:37

Before I have a whinge, let me tell you that dcfc are one of my favourite bands, Plans would be in my list of top 10 albums and Ben Gibbard has written many beautiful and intelligent songs.

Anyway......we went to see them in Manchester last night and I was a bit shellshocked at how different they were live compared to their recordings.

Everything seemed to be blasted out at full tilt whether it was a a rocker or a subtle one on the albums and it all became a bit samey. Only my (and the lippy kid agreed) opinion, everyone else seemed to know exactly what to expect.

In summary, none of the things that I love about this band (melody, intelligence, beauty, sadness, thought provoking etc etc) came across last night. Still enjoyed it though and I'm glad I've seen them, just a bit of a shock that's all pale

Anyone else seen them live?
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Death Cab for Cutie   Death Cab for Cutie Icon_minitimeWed 03 Aug 2011, 15:13

I might be seeing them live for the first time this October - they're headlining at the Langerado festival here in South Florida, so I may check them out. I like what I've heard from the new album, Codes and Keys, but it's not like it's setting my world on fire or anything. Just some solid tunes, and not too hard to listen to. Probably worth catching them in concert, I think it could be a fun show.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Death Cab for Cutie   Death Cab for Cutie Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Death Cab for Cutie
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: other bands-
Jump to: