elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver

Go down 
+7
sundaygirl
Jones
TamedLamia
fadeupyoursmile
MagicalTrevor
Stockhaus
rascalphoto
11 posters
AuthorMessage
rascalphoto
fallen angel
fallen angel
rascalphoto

Female Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-04-15

The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver Empty
PostSubject: The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver   The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver Icon_minitimeFri 22 May 2009, 22:00

I don't know if this subject has been covered, but I would love to hear some interpretations of this song. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
http://www.spectrum-photo.net
Stockhaus
friend of ours
friend of ours
Stockhaus

Female Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-12-11

PostSubject: Re: The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver   The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver Icon_minitimeSat 23 May 2009, 00:16

i just love it the way it is, with the bbc orchestra. gives me goosebumps and i dunno if anyone could do it as well
Back to top Go down
rascalphoto
fallen angel
fallen angel
rascalphoto

PostSubject: Re: The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver   The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver Icon_minitimeSat 23 May 2009, 16:48

It is a very moving song, but what does it mean? Symbolic? Literal?
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver   The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver Icon_minitimeSat 23 May 2009, 18:49

Literal, I think.

The story was that Guy's brother in law, I believe, met a man in a bar who was a tower crane driver, and was boasting about how much money he made doing this, but by the end of the night he was crying into his beer because he was so lonely. There's more to it than that, can't remember where I read it.

The first line "Gotta get out of TV", refers to Guy's sister, who was having a hard time working in the TV industry.
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
rascalphoto
fallen angel
fallen angel
rascalphoto

PostSubject: Re: The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver   The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver Icon_minitimeSun 24 May 2009, 02:42

Ah! Thank you. I thought that it was strictly metaphorical, but it seems to be a mix of reality and symbolic from what you say. Such a beautiful song. But honestly, I think that Guy could move me just as much if he sang "row row row your boat" (>8
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver   The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver Icon_minitimeSun 24 May 2009, 10:54

MagicalTrevor wrote:
Literal, I think.

The story was that Guy's brother in law, I believe, met a man in a bar who was a tower crane driver, and was boasting about how much money he made doing this, but by the end of the night he was crying into his beer because he was so lonely. There's more to it than that, can't remember where I read it.

The first line "Gotta get out of TV", refers to Guy's sister, who was having a hard time working in the TV industry.

Yeah, i've read that too! I can't you as to where i've read it!
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver   The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver Icon_minitimeSun 24 May 2009, 18:13

It's one of the fave songs I have on "Seldom seen kid" and I prefer the non-orchestra versions because I like those shinzy old mellotrones more than huge orchestras. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver   The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver Icon_minitimeMon 25 May 2009, 09:04

Interview: Mark Potter, Elbow.
(An edited version of this interview, which took place on Monday March 17th, originally appeared in the Nottingham Evening Post.)

"(NEP): I’ve not seen a lyric sheet, and I have struggled in a couple of places without one. I’m particularly curious to know more about the lyrical concept behind Loneliness of a Tower Crane Driver.

(Mark Potter): Guy [Garvey, singer and lyricist] actually met a guy in a pub – there’s a theme running here, the pub seems to come into it quite a lot! – and he was a power crane driver on one of the work sites near the studio. They started talking, and Guy was saying: Oh, it must be great doing your job and being up there. The guy was saying: Yeah, I absolutely love it, I’ve got my own little toilet, and I’ve got a TV up there.
But after a few beers, it came out that this guy was very lonely. He wasn’t liked on the site, because his was the highest paid job and so he was making more money than anyone else. And at the end of the working day, by the time he’d got down from his power crane, everyone had gone. Therefore he didn’t have any friends on the site. So it’s really about that isolated sort of feeling."
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver   The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver Icon_minitimeMon 25 May 2009, 12:08

You know the free download they gave away at Christmas of TCD live in Manchester? I can only listen to it on WMP and can't transfer it to i-Tunes, but I was thinking I might be able to burn it and transfer it that way, it worked with Kasabian's free download of Heroes. Has anyone tried it?
Back to top Go down
rascalphoto
fallen angel
fallen angel
rascalphoto

PostSubject: Re: The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver   The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver Icon_minitimeMon 25 May 2009, 19:36

Thank you all! Sarah, I love your pic and signoff. I am just crazy about The Decemberists too! We just got tickets to their show. I am so excited. I justified the cost because (I told my husband) "Elbow will probably never play here, so we might as well see at least one awesome show"
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver   The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver Icon_minitimeMon 25 May 2009, 19:44

Hey Rascalphoto, I see you're from Seattle. I'm from Portland, but live in Elbowville now. Seattle is a great place. Do you remember the Doghouse?
Back to top Go down
Bright Grey
fallen angel
fallen angel
Bright Grey

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-11-01

PostSubject: Re: The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver   The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver Icon_minitimeMon 25 May 2009, 20:16

sundaygirl wrote:
You know the free download they gave away at Christmas of TCD live in Manchester? I can only listen to it on WMP and can't transfer it to i-Tunes, but I was thinking I might be able to burn it and transfer it that way, it worked with Kasabian's free download of Heroes. Has anyone tried it?
They actually made an mp3 available too...

See if you can send yourself a gift download (which is hopefully the mp3) here:
http://www.u-download.co.uk/SendFreeMP3/send.php
Haven't tried it but presumably if Elbow is still on the list it's still available Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/SeldomSeenVid
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver   The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver Icon_minitimeMon 25 May 2009, 20:24

Oh you so,ruuuule....
Back to top Go down
Diaan
fallen angel
fallen angel
Diaan

Female Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-05-01

PostSubject: Re: The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver   The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver Icon_minitimeMon 25 May 2009, 20:46

Strange... You can send the email, but when you click the download link in the email you get a '404 - page not found' error. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.dianabroeders.nl
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver   The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver Icon_minitimeMon 25 May 2009, 20:46

Check out the album cover i-Tunes chose for it!!!

The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver 3563572093_49956ebc93_m
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver   The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver Icon_minitimeMon 25 May 2009, 20:47

Oh, it worked for me. Try again.

Fixed.

Last edited by sundaygirl on Tue 26 May 2009, 17:20; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver   The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver Icon_minitimeMon 25 May 2009, 20:48

Try right clicking...
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver   The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver Icon_minitimeMon 25 May 2009, 20:51

Hey, maybe I can email you the file...would that work?
Back to top Go down
rascalphoto
fallen angel
fallen angel
rascalphoto

PostSubject: Re: The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver   The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver Icon_minitimeTue 26 May 2009, 03:20

Sunday girl..."doghouse?" Not sure. What is it? Or what was it rather?
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver   The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver Icon_minitimeTue 26 May 2009, 07:30

Ooops...flicr gltich. Will fix later...
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver   The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver Icon_minitimeTue 26 May 2009, 08:11

rascalphoto wrote:
Sunday girl..."doghouse?" Not sure. What is it? Or what was it rather?

Oh, the Doghouse was this 24 hour restaurant that was a favorite haunt of the Indie/Grunge crowd as well as the elderly groupies of "famed Seattle organist" Dick Dickerson. The place was MAD! Their slogan was "All roads lead to the Doghouse." Great milkshakes. Unfortunately it is now defunct and no doubt sadly missed. Not sure what happened to Dickerson though.
Back to top Go down
rascalphoto
fallen angel
fallen angel
rascalphoto

PostSubject: Re: The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver   The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver Icon_minitimeTue 26 May 2009, 17:28

No, I never went there, but I did do "The Hurricane" once(quite dissapointed)..went back to frequenting the "five point" (motto:"Alcoholics serving alcoholics for since 19--") ...of course, that was when I was young, childless and drunk...many years ago
Back to top Go down
KoRoBeNiKi
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-09-23

PostSubject: Re: The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver   The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver Icon_minitimeWed 23 Sep 2009, 23:02

This is overall one of my favorite songs on the album, probably second most favorite after Mirrorball.

Great song, I liked the actual story behind it as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver   The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver Icon_minitimeFri 25 Sep 2009, 19:56

For me, it's the heart of the album. Guy's voice aches with pain and passion; it all comes to a head with the line "Send up a prayer in my name". You just don't get such a perfect marriage of words in music in modern music any more, which is why - for me - Elbow stand head and shoulders above the rest.

The poetry and symbolism in the lyrics is bloody outstanding. And then you have such evocative playing from the rest of the band. I never cease to be moved by this song; it's the song that I play to people who've never heard of Elbow before (there's not many about these days!) to show them what all the fuss is about.

The story about Guy's sister wanting to get out of the TV industry is interesting. I'd always assumed it was about the character of the song, up there with his TV in his lonely tower crane, needing to get his head out of the TV and interact with the real world.
Back to top Go down
jfk2901
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 0
Registration date : 2010-01-17

PostSubject: Interpretation   The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver Icon_minitimeSun 17 Jan 2010, 08:37

I absolutely adore this song.

I'm 25 and a manager for McDonald's. 'Grounds for divorce', since it's single release has been played on heavy rotation on our piped in-store music system. This song lead me to listening to SSK. Blown away by the arrangement of opening track, my Floyd muscles flexed when I heard tower crane driver. Stunning. I've recorded a cover of TCD - It's on Myspace

Have a listen - If you want a better quality version, message me for a sendspace link.

Enjoy listening Smile

JK
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver   The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Loneliness Of The Tower Crane Driver
Page 1 of 1