elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Blue Nile

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

The Blue Nile Empty
PostSubject: The Blue Nile   The Blue Nile Icon_minitimeThu 17 Apr 2008, 20:50

Anybody? They are even more obscure here in the US than Elbow are, but I figured someone here likes 'em too. Paul Buchanan's voice is amazing, every bit as good as Guy's but with a very different vibe. Only thing is, I think that musically, the boys in Elbow have the significant edge over Blue Nile.
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Male Number of posts : 891
Registration date : 2008-04-01

The Blue Nile Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Blue Nile   The Blue Nile Icon_minitimeThu 17 Apr 2008, 23:10

I've never even heard of them, but cheers for the tip!
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

The Blue Nile Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Blue Nile   The Blue Nile Icon_minitimeThu 17 Apr 2008, 23:28

I do hope you get a chance to give them a listen. I can get lost in their tunes sometimes!
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

The Blue Nile Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Blue Nile   The Blue Nile Icon_minitimeFri 18 Apr 2008, 09:08

I like The Blue Nile ( or am I just stalking Chrissie, liking the same music all the time. Mwa hahahahaha!!!)
Very Happy

Actually I only get on with 'Hats' and 'A Walk Across The Rooftops'. The third album (who's name now escapes me) I couldn't get on with at all. All that religious symbolism etc just left me cold.

Edit - Peace At Last. That was the third album. Didn't know they had released a fourth, 'High'. Is it any good?
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Male Number of posts : 2079
Registration date : 2008-04-01

The Blue Nile Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Blue Nile   The Blue Nile Icon_minitimeFri 18 Apr 2008, 11:33

ChrissieInFL wrote:
I do hope you get a chance to give them a listen. I can get lost in their tunes sometimes!

Sounds like you need a map....
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

The Blue Nile Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Blue Nile   The Blue Nile Icon_minitimeFri 18 Apr 2008, 14:17

Hotblack wrote:
I like The Blue Nile ( or am I just stalking Chrissie, liking the same music all the time. Mwa hahahahaha!!!)
Very Happy

Actually I only get on with 'Hats' and 'A Walk Across The Rooftops'. The third album (who's name now escapes me) I couldn't get on with at all. All that religious symbolism etc just left me cold.

Edit - Peace At Last. That was the third album. Didn't know they had released a fourth, 'High'. Is it any good?

Don't worry, Hotblack, I sincerely appreciate your validation of my musical tastes! Smile

As far as the 2 most recent albums: Peace at Last had some really good moments, IMO. I agree about the whole religious overtones thing, but I did find a lot to like in most of the tracks. As for High, it is the one I play least often. Not as gripping as the earlier stuff. I'd say if you've got the first two you've got the best two. Now let's see if they release anything new this decade or not. My vote based on past history is NOT!
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

The Blue Nile Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Blue Nile   The Blue Nile Icon_minitimeFri 18 Apr 2008, 16:14

ChrissieInFL wrote:
Now let's see if they release anything new this decade or not. My vote based on past history is NOT!

4 albums in 25 years. Even less prolific than the saintly Kate Bush.

I vote NOT, too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

The Blue Nile Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Blue Nile   The Blue Nile Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 18:09

Since we have no hope whatsoever of getting new material from these guys anytime soon, I have been fighting off my Blue Nile withdrawal symptoms by trawling the web in search of things I hadn't already seen. Here's a lovely live performance of Saturday Night that somebody somewhere might enjoy as much as I did:

Back to top Go down
sparky
friend of ours
friend of ours
sparky

Male Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2008-10-24

The Blue Nile Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Blue Nile   The Blue Nile Icon_minitimeMon 16 Aug 2010, 09:55

The Blue Nile, I'd almost forgotten about them and their prolific album writing antics.

I just found this (nice one chrissieInFL) while I was browsing the "other bands" looking for Arcade Fire.

I saw them at the Free Trade Hall in (about) 1990, before the Free Trade Hall was turned into the SAS Radisson / Opus One Bar.

A great band and a great venue. The FTH was the scene of one of the first Bob Dylan "Electric" gigs and one of the first UK dates for the Sex Pistols. (And I think the building had a bit of history before it became a gig venue Very Happy )
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

The Blue Nile Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Blue Nile   The Blue Nile Icon_minitimeMon 16 Aug 2010, 13:14

sparky wrote:
I saw them at the Free Trade Hall in (about) 1990, before the Free Trade Hall was turned into the SAS Radisson / Opus One Bar.

A great band and a great venue. The FTH was the scene of one of the first Bob Dylan "Electric" gigs and one of the first UK dates for the Sex Pistols. (And I think the building had a bit of history before it became a gig venue Very Happy )

Ooooh, I am insanely jealous right now! The Blue Nile are on my list of "gigs to see before I die", and they are the ones that got away for me. I had tix to see them in Atlanta in '07, but they cancelled a bunch of US dates right before they were scheduled to come over here, and my show got axed. I have never fully recovered! Crying or Very sad Honestly, it was a HUGE disappointment. I do hope I'll get another chance sometime. *fingers crossed*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Blue Nile Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Blue Nile   The Blue Nile Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Blue Nile
Page 1 of 1