elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Joy Division!!

Go down 
+8
WOBLEwoble
My Bury Vest
Hotblack
evilpixie
Leo
bluefield
Ted
ElbowFreak
12 posters
AuthorMessage
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

Joy Division!! Empty
PostSubject: Joy Division!!   Joy Division!! Icon_minitimeMon 27 Apr 2009, 18:04

There is really no Joy Division topic till now...

Another amacing band from Manchester! It's almost ridicoulos. Very Happy

It's a shame that Ian killed himself. Although they've only released two albums (and a few singles) Joy Divison left such an impact on bands and normal people like me. You can hear the influence in many bands.
Love will tear us apart, Atmosphere or Shadowplay always get me goosebumps. I could probably name every song I know of them!

Great band, great tunes! Ian will live forever in the songs!
Back to top Go down
Ted
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Ted

Male Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-04-19

Joy Division!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joy Division!!   Joy Division!! Icon_minitimeTue 28 Apr 2009, 23:13

I cannot express how important Joy Division are to me. Yes I love Elbow but JD are probably my favourite non-current band for so many reasons. Just looking round my room now there are two posters, at least 6 books and three dvds to do with them and i have near enough everything they have recorded. If you get the chance, see the film Control. I am not afraid to admit that I cried at the end even though I knew what was coming! About time these legends of British music were represented here on our wee forum.

Atmosphere alone is better than most bands will do in their whole lifetimes these days and yet so many people out there are so ignorant of their work which makes me angry on the one hand but also proud to like what other people don't and that is what makes it special. If I had a pound for everytime someone has said to me "Oh you only like depressing music" I would be a very rich man! So here's to the underappreciated heroes that are Joy Division. And yes I have even visited Ian Curtis' grave in Macclesfield cemetery...
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Joy Division!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joy Division!!   Joy Division!! Icon_minitimeWed 29 Apr 2009, 16:56

Wow! A fan!!! Very Happy

Erm... first of all - I have seen the film Control. The ending (although everyone knows what's coming) is great - but the whole film was for me more boring then great. I love Anton Corbijn and Sam Rileys performance was amacing... but all in all. It's a film about Ian Curtis and not Joy Division. Well, that's my opinion - and I know that many fans love this movie.

Second: I have to admit that I (at the moment) don't own any CD of them. I listen to them via Internet (thanks to youtube). But I will change that - promise! Smile

We have something in common... I love those "depressive music", too! Althought I don't thinks it's depressing. It's great! Many of Elbows songs have the same mood. Many band from Manchester have that vibe and I like it!
Back to top Go down
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Joy Division!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joy Division!!   Joy Division!! Icon_minitimeWed 29 Apr 2009, 18:10

Another stunning band from Manchester, who's music perfectly summed up the time.A superb band that I totally understood unlike the band they became after Ian Curtis passed away
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Joy Division!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joy Division!!   Joy Division!! Icon_minitimeThu 30 Apr 2009, 17:30

just raw and perfect genius. An astonishing band
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
evilpixie
friend of ours
friend of ours
evilpixie

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Joy Division!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joy Division!!   Joy Division!! Icon_minitimeThu 30 Apr 2009, 19:50

Joy Division was technically the first band I ever saw as they supported The Stranglers at the Rainbow. Hugh Cornwall was a guest of her majesty at the time so singing duties were shared by various new wave stars of the day. Must admit that I didn't really get Joy Division at the time but Love Will Tear Us Apart is now one of my favourite songs.
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Joy Division!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joy Division!!   Joy Division!! Icon_minitimeFri 01 May 2009, 07:51

bluefield wrote:
Another stunning band from Manchester, who's music perfectly summed up the time.

Definitely. I wasn't in to them at the time but a few years later when I opened my ears properly they definitely summed up Manchester at the time. Bleak and stark.
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
Ted
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Ted

Joy Division!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joy Division!!   Joy Division!! Icon_minitimeFri 01 May 2009, 23:06

evilpixie wrote:
Joy Division was technically the first band I ever saw as they supported The Stranglers at the Rainbow. Hugh Cornwall was a guest of her majesty at the time so singing duties were shared by various new wave stars of the day. Must admit that I didn't really get Joy Division at the time but Love Will Tear Us Apart is now one of my favourite songs.

That is amazing! You are one of the lucky few. What do you remember of them if anything?

Also favourite song is probably Transmission and that just might be the greatest song ever written...I know a lot of people think so. It sounds so simple with that wonderful elastic band bassline but there is so much going on within the song and Ian sounds like he will explode at any moment...genius.
Back to top Go down
evilpixie
friend of ours
friend of ours
evilpixie

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Joy Division!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joy Division!!   Joy Division!! Icon_minitimeMon 04 May 2009, 22:08

To be honest, I don't remember that much from the gig. I was only 14 at the time and had gone with a mate from school but neglected to tell my parents where I was going. I don't think I was really ready for Ian's unusual performance style, or the dark nature of the songs. I heard about his tragic death about a month later when it was reported in the NME. I've since discovered they only played 4 more gigs. I also managed to find the setlist on the internet.

Dead Souls
Wilderness
Shadowplay
Heart And Soul
Decades
She's Lost Control
Atrocity Exhibition
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Joy Division!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joy Division!!   Joy Division!! Icon_minitimeWed 06 May 2009, 17:22

Bought my first album yesterday. A 2-disc Joy Divison best-of. With the John Peel session. Pretty awesome! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Joy Division!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joy Division!!   Joy Division!! Icon_minitimeWed 13 May 2009, 11:49

Am a fan also of Joy Division, have read Deborah Curtis' book 'Touching from a Distance' which is an addictive and enlightening read. Thought 'Control' was magnificent, don't think my eyes shifted from the screen while watching it. Favourite tracks have to be Transmission, She's Lost Control, Atrocity Exhibition and their masterpiece, Atmosphere.

Never saw them live, was only 8 when Ian Curtis committed suicide. They got me into New Order though, of which I've seen 3 or 4 times live. Absolutely adore New Order.
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Female Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-06

Joy Division!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joy Division!!   Joy Division!! Icon_minitimeSat 23 May 2009, 21:40

Just bought

CLOSER

Brilliant
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Joy Division!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joy Division!!   Joy Division!! Icon_minitimeSun 24 May 2009, 05:34

WOBLEwoble wrote:
Just bought

CLOSER

Brilliant

Because of this thread or just because....? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Female Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-06

Joy Division!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joy Division!!   Joy Division!! Icon_minitimeSun 24 May 2009, 16:53

ElbowFreak wrote:
WOBLEwoble wrote:
Just bought

CLOSER

Brilliant

Because of this thread or just because....? Very Happy

Round at a friends recently and looking at some of his vinyl collection. Remembered them in late 70s - its been great to discover them.
Back to top Go down
calypso
fallen angel
fallen angel
calypso

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2009-07-14

Joy Division!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joy Division!!   Joy Division!! Icon_minitimeTue 14 Jul 2009, 16:12

Ted wrote:
I cannot express how important Joy Division are to me. Yes I love Elbow but JD are probably my favourite non-current band for so many reasons. Just looking round my room now there are two posters, at least 6 books and three dvds to do with them and i have near enough everything they have recorded. If you get the chance, see the film Control. I am not afraid to admit that I cried at the end even though I knew what was coming! About time these legends of British music were represented here on our wee forum.

Atmosphere alone is better than most bands will do in their whole lifetimes these days and yet so many people out there are so ignorant of their work which makes me angry on the one hand but also proud to like what other people don't and that is what makes it special. If I had a pound for everytime someone has said to me "Oh you only like depressing music" I would be a very rich man! So here's to the underappreciated heroes that are Joy Division. And yes I have even visited Ian Curtis' grave in Macclesfield cemetery...

I agree with every word, in fact words cannot express what I feel for Joy Divison. I grew up with their music. I listen to their music so much ,I have read Deborah Curtis' s account in 'Touching from a Distance 'which "Control "was very much based on, but I would also recomend " Torn Apart" by Mick Middles and Lindsay Reade.

I also get naffed off with people who say its depressing music..er no...'Aga Do' by Black Lace and the 'Birdy Song '- they're depressing..Joy Division's music is emotional music, and people who cannot handle the sheer depth of their music dismiss it as depressing. I can't be bothered arguing with people like that any more, I prefer not to converse with them!

A very important band..and very important to me.
Back to top Go down
Ted
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Ted

Joy Division!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joy Division!!   Joy Division!! Icon_minitimeSun 26 Jul 2009, 23:02

Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Joy Division!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joy Division!!   Joy Division!! Icon_minitimeMon 27 Jul 2009, 14:41

It still sounds brilliant. What a fantastic tune.
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Joy Division!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joy Division!!   Joy Division!! Icon_minitimeFri 07 Aug 2009, 11:26

My Bury Vest wrote:

Never saw them live, was only 8 when Ian Curtis committed suicide. They got me into New Order though, of which I've seen 3 or 4 times live. Absolutely adore New Order.

Me neither - and I am a few years older than you.

Re: New Order - one of the defining moments of my life was seeing New Order live, under the stars, past midnight at Womad 1985.

They played:
Elegia, Love Vigilantes, Blue Monday, Leave Me Alone, 586, This Time Of Night, State Of The Nation, Subculture, Denial,Age Of Consent, Sunrise, The Perfect Kiss, Temptation.
Afficianados of New Order don't rate the gig that much, but for me the music, the atmosphere and the company made it a night that I will remember (albeit a bit hazily) forever. Prior to seeing New Order we'd watched a blistering Peter Hammill solo set in a tent!
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Joy Division!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joy Division!!   Joy Division!! Icon_minitimeFri 21 May 2010, 18:30

Is it really 30 years since Ian Curtis' death?! It's been a sombre kind of appreciation on hearing about Hooky's tribute on 6 this week.

Like other people here, New Order were a big part of my growing up too, but obviously Joy Division were the motherlode. At some point over the weekend, it just seems right to watch 'Control' again and re-visit the albums. RIP Ian C - and Tony Wilson. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Joy Division!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joy Division!!   Joy Division!! Icon_minitimeFri 21 May 2010, 19:12

Great Film, Great Influential band, makes it more sad when you realise the tragic waste of life and how some people have to deal with emotional or social difficulties that drive them to despair and to suicide.
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Joy Division!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joy Division!!   Joy Division!! Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jun 2011, 19:20

I have just heard a great cover of "Love Will Tear Us Apart" by The Oysterband featuring June Tabor. It is on Spotify.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Joy Division!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joy Division!!   Joy Division!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Joy Division!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: other bands-
Jump to: