elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations

Go down 
+20
sundaygirl
hilaryg
Jones
mrswoman
Dr Evil
Glendarian
Dobz
Dabamash
nellie
lucky with disease
Topaz
Lesley Gilks
TamedLamia
al
bluejayway
Hotblack
fadeupyoursmile
WOBLEwoble
ChrissieInFL
ticky
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Female Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-06

Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Apr 2009, 15:34

HOW'S ABOUT ABOUT

Susan Sarandon - born 1946 Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Lesley Gilks
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Apr 2009, 15:36

I don't know about you but, I relish being in my 40's. On my 40th birthday I had what I can only discribe as an epihany. My hubby gave me what he thought was a great pressie and I hated it! He booked me a spa session at a local fancy hotel. I spent 5 hours, on my own, bored out of my skull. All I wanted to do was to spend some time with my family and our new puppy. Instead, I was miserable.
It was then that I decided that I'd never rely on anyone else to fulfill my dreams and I haven't looked back since. I've always wanted to earn a living as an artist and 6 months ago, I gave up a job I hated so I could devote more time to that goal. I don't expect I'll end up as the next Picasso or Turner Prize winner but it is more fulfilling than working in a shop.
I've never been what you would describe as a "looker" but now that I'm older, it doesn't matter so much. In fact, some of my old class mates look worse than me and that is soo satisfying!
My children are growing up and now it's me time for a change.
Can I suggest Annie Lennox as our patron saint?
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Apr 2009, 15:46

Good to have another member.

This is my crunch year like you Lesley. Second time I've done this. Walked out of a miserable marriage after 20 years and never looked back. Now I'm about to leave my job (much as I love it - but hate the management role) . Planning to spend more time on my two hobbies - glass and stone. cheers
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Apr 2009, 15:49

ChrissieInFL wrote:
I'm thinking it's "pissing myself laughing"...I could be wrong though. Maybe it's Hotblack's way of telling us he's "pretty much stud-like", or something... Laughing

Very Happy I'd like to say 'correct on both counts'...........................

...........................but actually only the first one is correct. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Apr 2009, 16:32

Hotblack wrote:
ChrissieInFL wrote:
I'm thinking it's "pissing myself laughing"...I could be wrong though. Maybe it's Hotblack's way of telling us he's "pretty much stud-like", or something... Laughing

Very Happy I'd like to say 'correct on both counts'...........................

...........................but actually only the first one is correct. Very Happy

Awww, so modest! Laughing

Lesley and WOBLEwoble: I can relate to both of you! Turned 40 last year and celebrated it by doing exactly what I wanted to do...with the assistance of my family, I took a 4 day trip to Chicago (one of my favorite cities). I went alone and had the time of my life - shopping, museums, wonderful meals...but best of all was I had the chance to see Elbow in concert for the first time! The gig was at a small and wonderful venue, I got right up front, shook Guy's hand and nabbed Mark's set list. Best trip ever, and it really started my first year of being 40 on the right foot!

I've also made a few big changes my life in the past couple of years and am really feeling like I may be fully on my feet for the first time in a while. If getting older does anything for you, it gives you a real impetus to stop buggering about with things that don't make you happy, or things that just don't matter. Once you get free of the insignificant crap and start focusing on the things that are truly meaningful to you, things just making more sense and the days become so much more enjoyable. Never felt this satisfied in my teens or 20's, despite the fact that I was doing a lot back in those days. But I am enjoying 40 so far and I need to decide what I can do to mark my 41st...won't be as awesome as my Elbow trip but at least I have a show to look forward to in August! cheers

EDIT: Whoops, almost forgot...both Susan Sarandon and Annie Lennox are great nominees for our patron saint! I want to add Chrissie Hynde in there for consideration. She is incredible and has lived both of my dreams (musician AND music journalist)! Of course she had to sleep with Ray Davies for a while there, but you can't have everything. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Apr 2009, 16:50

Another oldie-but-goody here! alien

I'm 43. No hot flashes as of yet but I think I'm having the peri-menopause mood swing thing. I never know what each morning will bring.

One thing that I find a bit odd is that I still feel 20-something in my head and heart, yet I outwardly look 43(or thereabouts). That's a tough one to grasp. And yes, the ma'am thing I could do without.

Another thing I've noticed is that you totally lose your coolness after 40. Not that I'm no longer cool, but in other people's eyes, I'm too old to be cool, especially it seems to those under 30. But damnit, I'm still cool!

Hrrmmm....what else...

It's also odd to think that I'll be unable to have children very soon. I've already got 4 and have no intentions of having any more, yet it sort of bothers me that I'll no longer be able.

Sometimes I get scared that I'm nearing the "end-half" of my life. I'm scared to death of dying, I don't want to ever leave, and getting older makes me think of things like that.

For the most part though, contrary to what this post probably sounds like to you all, I feel pretty good for 43, both physically and mentally. Like some of you mentioned, probably even better mentally and emotionally as I age.

" Yeah, "boyfriend" sounds totally High School Musical or something...but what the heck else can you call them? Manfriends? That just sounds slightly creepy!"

I usually call my boyfriend my significant other.

Or baby daddy. I kid. This one would not go over too well.
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Apr 2009, 17:29

Me thinks we need a vote on the lady of our choice. I agree with you two - lets make it a musician.
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Apr 2009, 18:41

ticky wrote:
I think that you will meet someone when you least expect it - I know it's been said before, but it's true.
Yea, I know, it is somehow a truism. I had a friend I almost loved, he was (then) my kind of type but I wasn't his. He turned more and more bitter. And i saw his mouth look more and more bitter. He was such a beauty but I don't want to know how this poor bugger looks today. I don't want to end like him. All time singles turn strange. I am somehow an all time single. Never had a real relationship. There was always an unreachable musician blocking my heart. Embarassed
Mom says, the "Guy-Garvey-Type" isn't that unreachable: overweight, strong chin and shy. I just hope my taste does not change into unreachable areas when I get well again.
Maybe there is a lovely teddybear with an ex-family with one or two kids who felt ununderstanded with his love for progressive music and seeks a big girl-child with an old woman heart or a old lady with a kid's heart and he's not afraid of the possibility (which I hope will never be) of an bitter "Love Story" (the film) Ending.

My thought of the "Corpse in the bathtub":

"DARLIN', COULD YOU BRÍNG ME RUBBERDUCKY?"
"YES DEAR JUST HAVE TO PUT ON ME ELASTIC STOCKING"

*heartstops...and their last thought *switching off* is their wedding day....*sigh*
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 471
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Apr 2009, 21:48

Hotblack wrote:
I know a 25 year old who's going on 40 as well. It sort of means that you have a very adult, robust and strong view of the world around you.

I'm 45 going on 11.........or so Mrs H keeps telling me. Very Happy

I asked my Nan today she said something similar to what you said and then added "You do like to moan a lot aswell." Razz
Cheers Nan!
Back to top Go down
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Apr 2009, 21:51

al wrote:
bluejayway wrote:
I'm 17 going on 40, that's what my Nan says. What does that mean exactly?

Don't worry, my 19 year old body has the bitter, misanthropic heart of a 80 year old man who had a tough life. I prefer hotblack's way of putting it, though Laughing

Hehe, kinda like me then, I'm very bitter. No idea why. Maybe a past life experience Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Apr 2009, 22:23

bluejayway wrote:
Hotblack wrote:
I know a 25 year old who's going on 40 as well. It sort of means that you have a very adult, robust and strong view of the world around you.

I'm 45 going on 11.........or so Mrs H keeps telling me. Very Happy

I asked my Nan today she said something similar to what you said and then added "You do like to moan a lot aswell." Razz
Cheers Nan!

PMSL Laughing Laughing

I've been a 'grumpy old man' since I was 20 Laughing Laughing and in a bizarre way I really enjoy it. Mind you I do try to be a humourous grumpy old man and not a miserable grumpy old man. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Apr 2009, 22:36

Hotblack wrote:
PMSL Laughing Laughing

I've been a 'grumpy old man' since I was 20 Laughing Laughing and in a bizarre way I really enjoy it. Mind you I do try to be a humourous grumpy old man and not a miserable grumpy old man. Smile

My mates say I'm the female equivalent to Dylan Moran, grumpy but hilarious. I wouldn't say I'm that funny, but grumpy...? Yeah!
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 19 Apr 2009, 08:43

You think you're grumpy now.... wait till you hit menopause!
Back to top Go down
al
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 19 Apr 2009, 09:38

bluejayway wrote:

My mates say I'm the female equivalent to Dylan Moran, grumpy but hilarious. I wouldn't say I'm that funny, but grumpy...? Yeah!

Ain't nothing wrong with that, as long as you've got the Manny to your Bernard Black Wink
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 19 Apr 2009, 09:47

Shocked I never thought I'd see a thread like this on an Elbow messageboard!
Old farts at Elbow gigs, yes, but Old ladies no, grab a granny nights!

40s isn't old when you get past it, I must admit really enjoyed my 40s with the help of Elbow and I used to say I'd stop when I hit 50.

Annie Lennox good ;-) I also suggest Kate Bush, Stevie Nicks, Joanna Lumley and Twiggy.

I have some boyfriend jeans, it says so on the label, thats about it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 19 Apr 2009, 11:14

lucky with disease wrote:
Shocked I never thought I'd see a thread like this on an Elbow messageboard!
Old farts at Elbow gigs, yes, but Old ladies no, grab a granny nights!

40s isn't old when you get past it, I must admit really enjoyed my 40s with the help of Elbow and I used to say I'd stop when I hit 50.

Annie Lennox good ;-) I also suggest Kate Bush, Stevie Nicks, Joanna Lumley and Twiggy.

I have some boyfriend jeans, it says so on the label, thats about it.

50 didn't stop me! sounds like you haven't as well 'lucky with disease'. Less of the grab a granny night Mad
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 19 Apr 2009, 11:29

Just my humour...sorry Wink
I'm not a granny yet... let you know when that happy day comes.
I'm in limbo.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 19 Apr 2009, 11:37

lucky with disease wrote:
Just my humour...sorry Wink
I'm not a granny yet... let you know when that happy day comes.
I'm in limbo.

I go to gigs with my daughter (when we both agree on the band !!!) She can't wait till her daughter can come as well. Me too!! Three generations at a gig - will that be a first Cool Our next gig together is DOVES
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 19 Apr 2009, 14:11

ticky wrote:
You think you're grumpy now.... wait till you hit menopause!

Laughing Yeah, I'm looking forward to that too...friend of mine's already dealing with it and the word "grumpy" does not do her justice.

WOBLEwoble, that is very cool about the generations going to shows together! My kid's only 8 yet, and so far I've had to go t shows that were appropriate for her...meaning Corbin Bleu, Drake Bell and Aly & AJ. So I am waiting patiently for her to be old enough for other stuff. She has already informed me that she wants her first "real" concert to be Weezer, which totally works for me. I just hope there's still a Weezer tour to hit when she's a few years older!

Hmmm, sounds like we have a real good list of possible patron saints here...not sure how to decide! We could do a poll, but there's only, like, 5 of us! scratch
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 19 Apr 2009, 14:53

Sure we will attract more in time !!!
Back to top Go down
nellie
friend of ours
friend of ours
nellie

Female Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 19 Apr 2009, 17:06

I know I'm only a mere 38 but can I join? I've been reading everyone else's comments and finding myself nodding my head in agreement Rolling Eyes
I'd vote Annie Lennox-dont really like her music that much but always kind of liked her. Smile
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 19 Apr 2009, 17:11

Shall we admit her to this most exclusive of clubs ladies?!!!

What's two years amongst friends - fine by me!!!

I agree about Annie Lennox - I love her voice, not keen on her songs, but admire her greatly as a human being.
Back to top Go down
nellie
friend of ours
friend of ours
nellie

Female Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 19 Apr 2009, 17:42

Thankyou Smile
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 19 Apr 2009, 18:08

Welcome Nellie Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Male Number of posts : 2079
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 19 Apr 2009, 19:59

Riiiiight...I don't think i'm going to get involved in all this, since i'm not a woman...or middle aged...or crazy. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations
Page 2 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next