elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Who did you hear growing up ?

Go down 
+21
Diaan
Tailfly
al
David Hasselhoff
fadeupyoursmile
Leo
ticky
WOBLEwoble
bluejayway
Jones
ChrissieInFL
lucky with disease
bluefield
Topaz
Hotblack
Stockhaus
nellie
Lillybef
Grant
TamedLamia
ChrissyBoy
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Who did you hear growing up ? Empty
PostSubject: Who did you hear growing up ?   Who did you hear growing up ? Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr 2009, 18:36

Not your own stuff, whatever your parents played when they got back from the pub.
No points for being uber cool either, tell the truth Smile

Apart from the more obvious Beatles etc I remember amongst others,
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Roxy Music
Blondie - Parallell Lines
Meat Loaf - Bat out of Hell
The Average White Band
The Eagles - Hotel California
Rod Stewart
Barry Manilow Laughing definately no cool points..all together now "She was a show girl.."
Pink Floyd - Dark Side
10CC

thats probably enough already, now where's that psychologist...
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Who did you hear growing up ?   Who did you hear growing up ? Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr 2009, 19:07

Just grabbed it out at youtube. Maybe the (in Germany?) most famous B-Side...
Golden Earring "the Song's over", a heartrending tearjerker which -strangely- reminds me a bit on the Elbowmix of Gabriel's "More than this" Shocked

My parent's taste is my taste but I remember running away frightened when the old reel to reel tape played "The court of the crimson king" or Slade or T.Rex! (last two ones not for the same reason like the first one... Embarassed )
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

Male Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Who did you hear growing up ?   Who did you hear growing up ? Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr 2009, 19:40

erm... meatloaf, and classical stuff mostly Shocked Embarassed hated them both greatly Razz
Back to top Go down
Lillybef
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lillybef

Female Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Who did you hear growing up ?   Who did you hear growing up ? Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr 2009, 20:05

My dad liked a lot of classical and had a great love of Gilbert and Sullivan, so stuff like The Mikado and Pirates of Penzance was played.
My mum loved Abba, Diana Ross, Barbara Striesand &The Beatles.

The radio was constantly on in the kitchen too, so whatever was on Radio 2 I listened to.
Back to top Go down
nellie
friend of ours
friend of ours
nellie

Female Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Who did you hear growing up ?   Who did you hear growing up ? Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr 2009, 20:19

Let me think.........Tony Christie was always a big favourite of my mams, it was funny when he came back with the Amarillo/Peter Kay thing I bought her a 'Greatest Hits' cd and found that I knew all the words!
Others favourites of hers were Queen, ELO, Barry Manilow, she had all the Elvis soundtrack albums which I loved G.I Blues, Blue Hawaii etc.
My brother was into Led Zep, Judas Priest, Deep Purple stuff like that, then with my eldest sister it was The Police, Blondie, Adam & The Ants. Next sister was into Duran Duran and the Thompson Twins in a big way back in the early 80's.
Always loads of music being played in our house but we only had one stereo for years so it was always a battle.
Back to top Go down
Stockhaus
friend of ours
friend of ours
Stockhaus

Female Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Who did you hear growing up ?   Who did you hear growing up ? Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr 2009, 22:02

what i grew up with was my dads favourite bands Ebba Grön and Imperiet, swedish punk bands which both has Joachim 'pim-pim' thåström as singer. They are my two of my favourites bands and ever all thanks to my dad! my first album i got from me dad was an Aerosmith album which i love.. canät remember the name of it though! that im very proud to say

then there is the schlager music which my mum loved. erovision song contest was a big thing and i kept listening to the song when i was a kid with my brother. I used to hate Abba when i was younger aswell because they were not as cool as the punk and rock bands i was listening to. now i love it though ^^
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Who did you hear growing up ?   Who did you hear growing up ? Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009, 09:47

I had to find my own way. My folks weren't really in to music although the few albums I do remember knocking around the house before I ploughed my own furrow included the soundtrack to the film The Sound of Music, Shirley Bassey and Liberace (the flambouyant and extremely gay piano player that nobody realised was gay until he died of AIDS related complications some years ago). I vaguely remember some cheap 'K-Tel' Songs of Love type compilations. There were various collections of 'Light Classical Favourites' and the few singles I remember included Sandie Shaw 'Puppet On A String', Leapie Lee 'Little Arrows', Benny Hill 'Ernie the Fastest Milkman', Rolf Harris 'Jake the Peg' and Chuck Berry's 'My Ding A Ling'. Jesus!!! my dad liked his novelty records.

That lot scarred me from an early age. I'm amazed I somehow recovered. Smile

If the radio was on it was either Radio 2 or more often Radio 4. I remeber listening to Ed 'Stewpot' Stuart most Saturday mornings with Junior Choice. It was full of stuff like (Oh God! More novelty songs) 'My Bruvver' by Terry Scott, 'My Boomerang Won't Come Back' by Charlie Drake and Sparky's Magic Piano.
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Who did you hear growing up ?   Who did you hear growing up ? Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009, 13:25

My stepdad didn't really listen to music but my mom always had something on. Dionne Warwick, Willie Nelson, Neil Young, Bee Gees, Billy Joel, Lionel Ritchie, Rolliing Stones...quite the mish mash. She also didn't mind listening to my stuff.

I had four older sisters, they were sort of hippy dippy-ish but also listened to a mish mash. There was lots of Beatles, Zeppelin, Lennon, Jethro Tull, Dylan, The Band, Doors, more Neil Young.

Lots of stuff.

Maybe that's why I'm so bipolar in my musical tastes to this day.
Back to top Go down
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Who did you hear growing up ?   Who did you hear growing up ? Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009, 13:55

country type stuff Jim Reeves, Patsy Cline, who I can appreciate now but not then, also my dad had a great interest in an organ player called Klaus Wundelich or something anyhow it was bloody awful, on reflection I think a lot of my dads albums were governed by the scantily clad females on the cover rather than the musical content. If he were alive today I expect his collection would include a lot of hardcore hip hop stuff
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Who did you hear growing up ?   Who did you hear growing up ? Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009, 14:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_KDPUTyDyQ&feature=related

Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass A Taste of Honey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c5BFcw5onI

Rimsky-Korsakov-Sheherazade

were just a couple that immediately sprung to mind, but then there was also Tom Jones and Cliff Richards.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Who did you hear growing up ?   Who did you hear growing up ? Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009, 16:03

My parents weren't particularly hip! Lots of Broadway and film soundtracks (Camelot, Hello Dolly and The Music Man were big favorites), Barbra Streisand, Johnny Mathis, Frank Sinatra, and a lot of easy-listening vocal stuff like that. Only rock records I can recall were my Dad's Elvis collection, which I never got into, and the Beatles (just the soundtrack from Help!), which I got into big time.
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

PostSubject: Re: Who did you hear growing up ?   Who did you hear growing up ? Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009, 17:08

lucky with disease wrote:

Bloody Hell!!! Herb Alpert. I'm three again. That was one of my dad's favourites.
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

PostSubject: Re: Who did you hear growing up ?   Who did you hear growing up ? Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009, 18:57

Oh my god, I remember that too. Heard it on the radio then, when I was not able to walk but able to beat with it...Very Happy

Rimsky-Korsakov-Sheherazade

I loved that when I was very small. Beside "Peter and the Wolf" and Dvorak's Midday's witch. Last one I liked until I knew what it was about affraid
My sister used to hear a lot Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath. Sat on her door and listened.
And as I said, my parents had a bunch of reel-to-reel tapes with a big mix of the music which came on the radiostations then. From cheesy stuff like Dave Dee to (as I said) progressive brainbreakers like King Crimson.
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266

PostSubject: Re: Who did you hear growing up ?   Who did you hear growing up ? Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009, 19:32

My Mam loved The Beatles: they would be on nearly every day when I came home from school, while she was making the dinner.

My Da loved Elvis and one of my earliest childhood memories is of the two of us snuggled up on the sofa, with my Da's arms around me, listening to 'Aloha from Hawaii'...Bliss!

My Grandmother was always playing Creedence at full volume, scandalizing the neighbours somewhat. They couldn't believe it when they knocked on the door asking if the 'kids could turn it down a little' and my Mam said 'Ehm. Actually, that's Gran!' Razz

My big bro was big into Reggae. Mostly Bob Marley of course, but also Burning Spear, Black Uhuru and Jimmy Cliff. Probably others too, but I can't quite remember!

So, quite an eclectic bunch really and I have to say, I do love them all! I love you
Back to top Go down
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 471
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Who did you hear growing up ?   Who did you hear growing up ? Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009, 20:09

My Mum - Earth, Wind and Fire (Nooooo!), KC and the Sunshine Band, Kool and the Gang, Lulu (Her stuff in the 90's), Lisa Stansfield, Jamiroqui (Jesus no), Sade, and acid/house music (wtf?) - all the stuff I hate.

My Dad - The Rolling Stones, John Lennon, The Who, and loads of Motown - all the stuff I love.

My Grandad - War of the Worlds (it gave me nightmares for weeks, and I still can't listen to it), James Last, Kraftwerk - I only like the last band now.

Uncle Ray - Hell of a lot of classical, especially Peter and the Wolf and Beethoven - LOVE it!!!

I think that's all.

Last edited by bluejayway on Wed 15 Apr 2009, 21:40; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Female Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Who did you hear growing up ?   Who did you hear growing up ? Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009, 21:16

Whiter Shade of Pale - Procol Harum.1967 -THIS SO DATES ME BECAUSE IT WAS ONE OF MY FAV LISTENS. flower

Just voted most played single in public places!!!!!

Still sounds outstanding today. Thank you Gary Brooker
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Who did you hear growing up ?   Who did you hear growing up ? Icon_minitimeThu 16 Apr 2009, 07:46

WOBLEwoble wrote:
Whiter Shade of Pale - Procol Harum.1967 -THIS SO DATES ME BECAUSE IT WAS ONE OF MY FAV LISTENS. flower

Just voted most played single in public places!!!!!

Still sounds outstanding today. Thank you Gary Brooker

I'm with you on this one Woblewoble!! This sums up the sixties for me.
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

PostSubject: Re: Who did you hear growing up ?   Who did you hear growing up ? Icon_minitimeThu 16 Apr 2009, 14:08

Jones wrote:
.My Grandmother was always playing Creedence at full volume, scandalizing the neighbours somewhat. They couldn't believe it when they knocked on the door asking if the 'kids could turn it down a little' and my Mam said 'Ehm. Actually, that's Gran!' Razz

lol!
That could happen to my 72 year old mom too...she loves Heavy Metal, especially the hard stuff like Sepultura, Ministry and Machinehead affraid Very Happy

Once someone called the cops when Mom and me were listening to "Gates of Delirium" by YES affraid
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

PostSubject: Re: Who did you hear growing up ?   Who did you hear growing up ? Icon_minitimeThu 16 Apr 2009, 14:23

TamedLamia wrote:
Jones wrote:
.My Grandmother was always playing Creedence at full volume, scandalizing the neighbours somewhat. They couldn't believe it when they knocked on the door asking if the 'kids could turn it down a little' and my Mam said 'Ehm. Actually, that's Gran!' Razz

lol!
That could happen to my 72 year old mom too...she loves Heavy Metal, especially the hard stuff like Sepultura, Ministry and Machinehead affraid Very Happy

Once someone called the cops when Mom and me were listening to "Gates of Delirium" by YES affraid

Talking to my daughter recently about gigs in Europe. She's visited a lot mainly to follow and see MUSE on their tours. She said that there is a very sociable mix of ages at gigs there. Oldies (and she spotted 60+s) in there with middlies and fledgling giggers.

Come on UK oldies - lets get out out of our homes and off to more gigs.
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Who did you hear growing up ?   Who did you hear growing up ? Icon_minitimeThu 16 Apr 2009, 15:04

It looks like you already are! Wink Shocked Laughing

My absolute first musical memory....sitting in my highchair waving my finger foods to "Got myself a crying, walking, sleeping, talking living doll" (Cliff on the radio, my taste hadn't developed fully then) and later...spinning in circles, making myself dizzy dancing as a little kid to the Beatles "She loves You. yeah, yeah, yeah" when it came out as a single.

Last edited by lucky with disease on Thu 16 Apr 2009, 15:34; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

PostSubject: Re: Who did you hear growing up ?   Who did you hear growing up ? Icon_minitimeThu 16 Apr 2009, 15:33

Come on UK oldies - lets get out out of our homes and off to more gigs.[/color][/quote]

ABSOLUTELY!! - A woman after my own heart.
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

PostSubject: Re: Who did you hear growing up ?   Who did you hear growing up ? Icon_minitimeThu 16 Apr 2009, 16:25

My next gig is DOVES in Delamere Forest. Hope to see many mature faces in the crowd!!!! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Who did you hear growing up ?   Who did you hear growing up ? Icon_minitimeThu 16 Apr 2009, 16:59

I was force fed Fairport Convention, Jethro Tull, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, The Jam, Cream, Bob Dylan, and other outdated stuff, from the age of 3 onwards.

One of my earliest memories was singing along to "Mr.Moonlight" by The Beatles in the car, and I must have been ooo 4 or 5?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

PostSubject: Re: Who did you hear growing up ?   Who did you hear growing up ? Icon_minitimeThu 16 Apr 2009, 17:10

Leo wrote:
I was force fed Fairport Convention, Jethro Tull, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, The Jam, Cream, Bob Dylan, and other outdated stuff,

Careful now. Smile Just 'cos it's old doesn't mean it's outdated Laughing Razz
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

PostSubject: Re: Who did you hear growing up ?   Who did you hear growing up ? Icon_minitimeThu 16 Apr 2009, 17:14

WOBLEwoble wrote:
My next gig is DOVES in Delamere Forest. Hope to see many mature faces in the crowd!!!! Rolling Eyes

Yaaaayyyy - I'm going to see Doves as well - in Bristol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who did you hear growing up ?   Who did you hear growing up ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who did you hear growing up ?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next