elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Beatles

Go down 
+18
Lynne
Cestriansteve
Lesley Gilks
ticky
WOBLEwoble
ChrissyBoy
Topaz
bluefield
bluejayway
MagicalTrevor
TamedLamia
heshofcheese
Stockhaus
Mr_K
Grant
Hotblack
yesman
ChrissieInFL
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

The Beatles - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jul 2009, 23:28

Remember playing over and over again the Sgt Peppers album on my parent's music centre, as it was in those days. They loved them and Mum went to see them live at Northampton!!!! Screaming women throwing themselves at them, she recalls.

From that album I particularly liked 'A day in the life' and 'She's leaving home'.

I would have loved to have been a teen then.
Back to top Go down
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 471
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jul 2009, 20:05

Lynne wrote:
Remember playing over and over again the Sgt Peppers album on my parent's music centre, as it was in those days. They loved them and Mum went to see them live at Northampton!!!! Screaming women throwing themselves at them, she recalls.

From that album I particularly liked 'A day in the life' and 'She's leaving home'.

I would have loved to have been a teen then.

My Dad saw them at the Mayflower in Southampton, in '63/4? He recalls the screaming women too and found them so annoying. Ah well least he was lucky enough to witness that amazing time.
Back to top Go down
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

Male Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 12 Aug 2009, 01:56

I just picked up Jim James' album of George Harrison covers. Released as an album by Yim Yames, Tribute To features James (of the folk band My Morning Jacket) by himself on songs like "My Sweet Lord" and "The Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll)." James recorded the album a few weeks after Harrison's death in late 2001, and there's a definite sense of pain to these songs.

You can listen to the songs at the Yim Yames website.

I think the version of "Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll)" is easily one of the most painful songs I've heard in a long time. Not painful in a bad way, painful in an anguished way. There's a sense of raw pain and loss in the performance that's absolutely heartbreaking.
Back to top Go down
http://www.allyngibson.net/
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 12 Aug 2009, 02:36

allyngibson wrote:
I just picked up Jim James' album of George Harrison covers.

I've read a few things about this on music blogs and in mags...think it sounds like a wonderful project and will definitely give it a listen. I can easily see Jim James working these songs into something special.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Aug 2009, 12:41

Alright, now THIS is disturbing...Robert Zemekis, director of Back To The Future, Forrest Gump and Who Framed Roger Rabbit, is "re-imagining" the Beatles' film classic, Yellow Submarine. And it's gonna be a Disney film, with 3D and all the bells and whistles. One word - WHY?? Suspect

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/robert-zemeckis-boards-yellow-submarine?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=news
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Aug 2009, 14:11

A new Bud advert using a beatles song. I wasn't expecting much, but i loved it!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/jul/02/budweiser-beatles-hours-lyrics
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Female Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-06

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 21 Aug 2009, 16:27

Just posted on another forum - listening to a few old tunes from them this afternoon. She's a woman just finished playing.

Love the lyrics.
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 21 Aug 2009, 16:36

..topical, could be a soundtrack for that South African runner ! Laughing
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 21 Aug 2009, 17:11

ChrissyBoy wrote:
..topical, could be a soundtrack for that South African runner ! Laughing

Rolling Eyes

nice on !!
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 06 Sep 2009, 11:06

Did anyone watch Beatles Night on BBC2 last night? What a cracking evening's viewing. I really recommend using the IPlayer to see the documentary about their first tour of the States - the majority of the footage I had never seen before - fascinating stuff. I especially loved the part when 2 of them smuggled a couple of girls into the hotel and then hid in the loo. It all seems so innocent now.....
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 06 Sep 2009, 11:59

ticky wrote:
Did anyone watch Beatles Night on BBC2 last night? What a cracking evening's viewing. I really recommend using the IPlayer to see the documentary about their first tour of the States - the majority of the footage I had never seen before - fascinating stuff. I especially loved the part when 2 of them smuggled a couple of girls into the hotel and then hid in the loo. It all seems so innocent now.....

Absolutely briliant night all the way through to HELP. I loved George way back then in the 60's - still do now. His songs were the highlight of the evening. What a fantastic sensitive person he was. Sadly sadly missed.

Just ordered Rubber Soul (my fav). Hard Days Night was the first album I bought with my own money!
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 06 Sep 2009, 12:04

bounce
There's more Beatles on tonight (sunday) BBC 4 8:00 - How the Beatles rocked the Krelim. (not been shown before).
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 06 Sep 2009, 15:26

Its easy to forget with the passage of time just how good they are/were, George really stepped up to the mark with Something didnt he, it must have blown Lennon McArtney away, what a song that is
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 06 Sep 2009, 15:47

bluefield wrote:
Its easy to forget with the passage of time just how good they are/were, George really stepped up to the mark with Something didnt he, it must have blown Lennon McArtney away, what a song that is

So true
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 06 Sep 2009, 17:57

I must admit, I'm going to order the White Album again - that really is my favourite. Mind you, all the way through (slowly sipping on a nicely chilled bottle of chardonnay), I continually announced to the family - 'This is my favourite Beatles album'. 10 minutes later - 'No THIS is my favourite Beatles album'. You can see where I'm going here....... At the end of the bottle I announced that I loved the Beatles even more than Elbow, which they're not going to let me forget.
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 06 Sep 2009, 20:01

ticky wrote:
I must admit, I'm going to order the White Album again - that really is my favourite. Mind you, all the way through (slowly sipping on a nicely chilled bottle of chardonnay), I continually announced to the family - 'This is my favourite Beatles album'. 10 minutes later - 'No THIS is my favourite Beatles album'. You can see where I'm going here....... At the end of the bottle I announced that I loved the Beatles even more than Elbow, which they're not going to let me forget.

OMG

The power of wine !! drunken
Back to top Go down
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Sep 2009, 00:12

Abbey road is just incredible, its on my list for tommorow's listening
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Sep 2009, 09:01

I was out most of the weekend but made a point of recording all that evenings shows. Have seen some of it and will watch the rest tonight. The Beatles Rock The Kremlin is repeated on BBC4 tonight so I'll catch up with that one later.

'Twas indeed an excellent nights viewing (what I've seen so far) Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Sep 2009, 16:59

Sunday Times magazine had a heap of Beatles stuff this week too.
Album Reviews basically all 4 or 5 star, with yellow submarine hitting the depths at 3 stars !

Note we are even gettin a beatles rock star version for the games consoles now. No stone unturned for the marketing brigade at the moment with 40 year anniversary of the break up.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Sep 2009, 18:07

Absolute tidal wave of Beatlemania happening over here for the past couple of weeks. I've seen several (quite good) documentaries and music specials, as well as a 30-minute show focusing on the Beatles Rock Band game. Which, by the way, looks all kinds of awesome...not much of a gamer but I will be happy to give this one a go! Graphics are wonderful and the attention to detail is incredible - the way they recreated Shea Stadium and the Cavern is just mindblowing!
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 08 Sep 2009, 13:05

A friend of mine forwarded this to me, and I found it to be really interesting...a huge Beatles fan takes all their original tunes (185 of 'em!) and ranks them from least favorite to most favorite, with discussions/explanations for each pick. It's quite long but if you have time, it does make you think about each of these songs again, and maybe in a new way:

http://magazine.jamsbio.com/2009/01/05/playing-the-beatles-backwards-the-ultimate-countdown/

I didn't agree with a lol of the picks - it would be impossible to find any 2 fans who'd agree on a ranking of all these songs - but I did like the consideration he obviously gave to each tune when he made his choices. If you're a serious Beatles buff, dig in!
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Sep 2009, 03:21

Alright, I know we've got a few music-tech heads here...anyone got a report on the remasters? Are they mindblowing, or just sort of interesting, or not really a big deal at all? I've not purchased any yet (cash flow issues at the moment!), but I hope to be able to soon and I want to see if it's money well spent.
Back to top Go down
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

Male Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Sep 2009, 11:15

I've got the mono boxset ordered and ready to pick up.
I need a bit of free time for a good uninterrupted listen though.
Might spend this coming weekend getting reacquainted with the best back catalogue in the history of music. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
http://www.panicnow.bravehost.com/
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Sep 2009, 17:02

I got some hooky CD rom about ten years back with all their albums on it / lyrics etc
Think it was the Beatles Catelogue or something. Found the disc the other night and it still works
Laughing
Back to top Go down
yesman
friend of ours
friend of ours
yesman

Male Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 29 Sep 2009, 11:36

Just loving the interest generated by the release of the remastered records and also the Beatles Rock Band game.

It is exposing their music to a whole new generation.

Forgot how good their music was and so varied.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   The Beatles - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Beatles
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next