elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bestival

Go down 
+3
SamD
Stockhaus
Misspelt Yoof
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Bestival Empty
PostSubject: Bestival   Bestival Icon_minitimeFri 03 Apr 2009, 08:44

Elbow have just been confirmed as the Sunday headliner. Doves will be joing them on the Sunday bill. Other bands previously announced over the weekend include Massive Attack, MGMT Lily Allen and Fleet Foxes. The festival takes place between September 11th and 13th on the Isle of Wight.

Rob da Bank wrote:
It's been a long road to landing our Sunday night headliners, much like the 18 year road our Sunday headliners have traveled 'til they finally got the exposure they deserve ... I'm well pleased that Elbow will be bringing things to a majestic grand finale on the Sunday of Bestival and can't think of a more suitable act after their mammoth year. All that aside they just make brilliant, honest music that judging by the biggest singalong I saw at Glastonbury last year will go down a storm on the Isle of Wight.

Brilliant.
Back to top Go down
Stockhaus
friend of ours
friend of ours
Stockhaus

Female Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-12-11

Bestival Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bestival   Bestival Icon_minitimeFri 03 Apr 2009, 13:08

i want to do bestival now aswell as glasto and reading that im already doing and probably Electric Picnic... errr... i need to work harder i feel
Back to top Go down
SamD
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Bestival Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bestival   Bestival Icon_minitimeFri 03 Apr 2009, 13:57

Sweeeet! Two miles up the road from me, just been out to get my ticket. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
evilpixie
friend of ours
friend of ours
evilpixie

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Bestival Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bestival   Bestival Icon_minitimeThu 30 Apr 2009, 14:57

Gutted that Kraftwerk will be there too and I'll be in China Sad
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Bestival Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bestival   Bestival Icon_minitimeThu 30 Apr 2009, 18:02

Mmm...Dim Sum... Yummy!

See EP every cloud...! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
evilpixie
friend of ours
friend of ours
evilpixie

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Bestival Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bestival   Bestival Icon_minitimeThu 30 Apr 2009, 19:37

Will probably miss their Manchester gig too. I think this clouds lining is starting to look a little tarnished.
Back to top Go down
newborn
friend of ours
friend of ours
newborn

Female Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2009-03-26

Bestival Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bestival   Bestival Icon_minitimeTue 04 Aug 2009, 10:29

There is currently a competition running on XFM online (www.xfm.co.uk)
Guess the different band logo's and you could win a weekend camping at Bestival with Elbow headlining. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SamD
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Bestival Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bestival   Bestival Icon_minitimeSun 13 Sep 2009, 23:29

Hi all. Just back from the Bestival up the road and what an evening!
Only went along about 6pm and still managed to end up front row middle for Doves, Fleet Foxes and then the mighty Elbow.

Great set although it seemed much shorter than the 90 minutes it actually was.
Set list....the only oldie was Newborn, everything else was pretty much what you would expect.

For the 'spontaneous' encore we had to sing the theme to Star Trek as the theme to Bestival this year was space.

Absolutely stunning reception from the crowd especially for One Day. We were standing right in the middle of the paper snowstorm and, as sad it is may sound, it was really emotional watching it, singing along with 30,000 others and seeing big beaming Guy up on stage in front of us.

Amazing, wonderful, fantastic evening...I want to go again!
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Bestival Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bestival   Bestival Icon_minitimeTue 15 Sep 2009, 09:07

I got back yesterday....What a festival, what amazing weather! Elbow were europhic, it was one of the best gigs I have ever laid my eyes on. They had the digital videography from the Wembley gigs. Newborn and Some Riot were sung with such intense emotion and we got 'Forget myself' Smile We were front row and there from about 3pm. Guy was laughing at the four of us as we took our trumpets for Starlings!

I was a little disppointed to learn that Guy was a Trekky Smile 'One Day Like This' echoed through the festival site long after the boys walked off stage. This Friday is going to be one heck of a performance. I am so excited!

Doves and Fleeties, gggrrr. Fleet Foxes just don't work at festivals, this is the third time I have seen them this summer and they loose everything that is mesmerising about them. Last year when they supported Elbow at Festival Hall it was the perfect venue, the intimacy and atmosphere suited them, it's a shame really, they have some amazing talent and music, it just doesn't work in front of a 30,000 strong crowd.

Doves, sound was bad. Jimi's vocals needed to be turned up. They didn't connect with the audience....they are one of my favourite bands and I was a little dissapointed.

This was the set list:

'Starlings'
'The Bones Of You'
'Mirror Ball'
'Leaders Of The Free World'
'Station Approach'
'Grounds For Divorce'
'The Loneliness Of A Tower Crane Driver'
'Forget Myself'
'Some Riot'
'New Born'
'Weather To Fly'